The Prize Box has worked well

Discussion in 'General Education' started by ChoiceAdvocate, Mar 19, 2013.

1. ChoiceAdvocate

ChoiceAdvocate Rookie

Mar 19, 2013

An update, sorry that it has been so long since I've been on here. Anyways, my prize box / ticket system has given me a benefit of 25 of my students out of 26 passing the STAR (State Standardized Test) Practice Test. 11 of the students were commended (missed 2 or less questions out of 46).

I've added some ticket fines to curb late / no homework turned in and no names on papers. I only have had a few that have not been able to go to the store because they are too far behind that they might not ever catch up. I am probably going to give another chance at some extra credit to get him out of the hole. Some of my kids wanted to pay the ticket fines of some other kids so that they wouldn't be in the negative. I asked them at least 3 times if they were sure, and I had a multitude of kids wanting to pay the other kids ticket fines. So I let them, the next day the same child forgot to turn in his homework and once again was fined. They haven't wanted to pay another kid's fine since. So maybe a long term lesson learned there.

3. queenie

queenie Groupie

Mar 21, 2013

Sounds like you've put a lot of time and money into it, so I'm very glad it's working for you!

:confused: However, I'm a little confused/skeptical. How can you credit a class store system based on behavior with such good scores on a standardized test? Especially one that's only been going on for 2 months?

4. ChoiceAdvocate

ChoiceAdvocate Rookie

Jun 1, 2013

The year is over! And the prize box got two more followers for next year. My STAR test results were 90% passing, it was one of the highest in my grade and I got the highest score average as well. The parents bought me some gift cards and one printed out a "teacher of the year" certificate for me. I have gone through trial and error with this system and I've gotten some new ideas to take care of all of the no name papers from this forum. I started a new proboards forum for individual parents so that I can inform them of behavioral issues and missing homework assignments next year. I really feel that the combination of rewarding tickets for desirable behavior (doing homework, well on tests, and not misbehaving) and fining negative behaviors has done wonders to minimize the influence of bad parents. It didn't work on every kid, but the vast majority were telling their parents about me and how much fun that they had... And that they were learning. All this while not "teaching to the test". I think that anyone who wants to make an impact on their kids should consider implementing similar ideas. Next year I am going to have a $100 challenge, a seemingly impossible task of attempting to get to perfection (No getting below green on behavior, no unexcused absences, no lower than 90% on assignments and tests, no "no name" turn ins) I think this BIG prize will have them striving for it. I doubt that any of them will be able to get through a whole year perfectly, but I think that it will make things even better.

5. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jun 1, 2013

Passing on the STAAR will be higher than a percentage of fifty and fifty-seven so take that into consideration when setting goals. They are releasing a test in August though so that will be very helpful.

6. Cicero

Cicero Companion

Jun 2, 2013

I would be concerned that maybe setting a goal ($100 challenge) that you are pretty sure they can't attain would be disheartening. In my short experience, having a system with rewards starts to become the main thing students are focused on.

I set up a system where all I wanted to do was get my students to remember to bring their materials daily. So I counted up from how many days it had been since someone forgot. By the time we got 20 days in, whenever a kid was missing something they were just so horribly heartbroken and afraid the class would get upset with them. I just started letting it slide because of this.

The whole system began to overshadow the beginning of class every day. Kids would be up at the front reading what their next reward was and questioning me if they felt I had skipped giving them a day.

I just hate the system now! I am retiring it as soon as the year is over. I am planning on doing intermittent, unscheduled rewards from now on, because if they come to expect it they start feeling entitled to it whether or not they earned it.