The principal

Discussion in 'Substitute Teachers' started by Milsey, Aug 13, 2010.

1. Milsey

Milsey Habitué

Aug 13, 2010

Last year I was subbing at a middle school and the prinicipal was so friendly, maybe a little too friendly. He would always be telling me how stunning I looked, call me missy, put his hands on my shoulders, and pause and wave at me at the classroom door. I felt embarrassed as sometimes this would occur in the hallways while the kids were milling about.
    Should I sub at this school again? This guy makes me feel uncomfortable. My friend, another sub, says I'm being way too sensitive and nothing can happen as I'm always surrounded by people.

3. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Aug 13, 2010

As a have always taught my girls - trust your gut!! If he makes you feel uncomfortable, you have to trust your feelings that there is a reason why you feel uncomfortable. And add to the fact you are somewhat concerned students are recognizing to his behavior towards you, you have a reason to be concerned.

So my vote, would be unless you would be in a horrible finanicial bind, sub somewhere else.

4. msmullenjr

msmullenjr Devotee

Aug 13, 2010

Ditto. Your gut is there for a reason. If he makes you uncomfortable, don't go back.

5. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

Aug 13, 2010

Can't stand creepy guys. I'd move on to other schools if I could.

6. Brendan

Brendan Fanatic

Aug 13, 2010

Eww. That's not appropriate.

7. teacherfan

teacherfan Cohort

Aug 14, 2010

What that principal is doing could be viewed as sexual harrassment. He could lose his job over this behvior (may not be a bad thing) so if you choose to go back make sure you document these actions and protect yourself.

8. mizzkaren

mizzkaren Rookie

Aug 14, 2010

Ewww. Ugh, I can't stand creepy guys.

Compliments, names, touching, waving...he sounds like a total creep to me. AND if you have to wonder about his actions AT ALL then I don't think there's anything right about what he's doing. You wonder if kids see what he's doing...this means you are worried that in case he is doing bad stuff you don't want them to see it. He's doing bad stuff. If it makes you feel the slightest bit uncomfortable or awkward then it's bad.

Your other friend may be trying to help, but I don't think the advice of telling you you're sensitive and that it's OK because you're surrounded by others will help out in the long-run. What are you going to do if you are in the work room by yourself and he pops in too? What are you going to do if you go back to school after hours for something and he's there also? There are ways creeps find themselves alone with you...nothing is impossible.

I'd go to a different school too.

9. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Aug 14, 2010

This happened at my other school too. Started off pretty much how you described it and eventually it escalated to the P kissing this teacher on her forehead!

10. myownwoman

myownwoman Habitué

Aug 14, 2010

For your own safety go sub in another school.

11. Special-t

Special-t Enthusiast

Aug 14, 2010

He should know better than to touch you. Geez.

12. waffles

waffles Companion

Aug 16, 2010

I don't think you can go wrong either way.

Subbing at the school again would give you a chance to document stuff and notice if he's doing it to anyone else.

If you stay away then you'll be getting yourself out of a bad situation.

All I ask is that if you decide to stay away, please tell someone why. Staying away and keeping the reason basically to yourself won't really help anything. Letting someone know, be it the district or the people in charge of subbing, will allow the people who can really do something about it know that there's a situation that needs to be handled.

13. Ms. Scarlet

Ms. Scarlet Rookie

Sep 7, 2010

I agree with the above posters. One of the things I'm constantly told is that touching of any kind is a no-no. Usually this is in regards to teacher-to-student touching, but it's a short hop to principal-to-teacher/sub. It isn't right. So if you have the chutzpa, you can address it with your HR department, but at the very least, if you don't want to stick your neck out (and I don't think I would, actually) you should document what happened. Perhaps you can help support another teacher down the line with evidence who runs into the same problem with this guy, because you know it's going to happen again to someone else.

14. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Sep 7, 2010

Yick.

Do you have a sub services supervisor who you can talk to about this, maybe file a report or something?