the plot thickens

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by mstemple05, Sep 15, 2007.

1. mstemple05

mstemple05 Cohort

Sep 15, 2007

well, so i guess the lady i interviewed with pretty much was just in the mindset of "if she's here, it's cuz she wants a job". and so there wasn't a formal offer but i guess since we were talking about a job, she just assumed i would take it. i'm mentioning it this way because there was no "would u want this position?" it was just a "we need..." and i said i would be able to do it and she went around introducing me at the staff meeting.

lol. well, just so happens, the OTHER school offered me a job @ around 10PM tonight AFTER she told me she'd let me know either weds afternoon or thurs morning so i could come in thurs afternoon and all day fri to work on lesson plans. lol

i mean, i went from being po'd about having NOTHING to being po'd that now i gotta decide-which one do i take? i'm not really po'd. just confused. if the last one woulda came first i would have taken it hands down no question and would not have glanced twice at the high school position. but this one that came at night is a middle school position and someone was telling me that it would be easier to do middle school for now since it's my first time in that subject area. BUT that i would have to worry about the maturity (or immaturity) level of the MS students. whereas in HS, i can deal and relate and communicate with them on a tad more conversational/comfortable level-which is why i've loved teaching HS spanish these past 2 years. because i didn't have to water or baby down my lessons or even my speech for fear of the students not "getting it".

uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuugggggggghhhhhhhhh.

HELP? please?
    :help: :|:crosseyed:unsure:

3. TeacherRW

TeacherRW Cohort

Sep 15, 2007

Well... I can only suggest that you start making a list of pros/cons and go from there. There's a lot to be said for gut instinct also. :)

Congratulations on your 2 positions... you've been PO'd long enough. :) Hehehehe

4. mstemple05

mstemple05 Cohort

Sep 15, 2007

LOL. Yea..

this completely and absolutely sucks!!!!!!!

5. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Sep 15, 2007

Two job offers!!! Congrats!

6. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Sep 15, 2007

I would go with the 11th grade position. I love middle school but I think 11th grade would be easier. But which one pays more?
    Has better benefits and so on.

7. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Sep 15, 2007

You sounded really excited about the 11th grade position in your other thread...

8. Big Shirley

Big Shirley Companion

Sep 15, 2007

OMIGOSH!!!! I am soooooo happy for you!!!!!!!! You totally deserve to have two offers. Heck, you should have five! I am really super glad to hear of your new "problem"!!!!

I agree with the poster who suggested the pro/con list. That has always helped me in the past. Sometimes just writing it down makes the solution obvious.

Wow, I hope you get a chance to feel some relief before you go in.

Have a great year!

9. cmw

cmw Groupie

Sep 15, 2007

Definitely do a pro/con list. I had the same thing happen middle of Aug. I recvd. 2 offers within a day. Some of the ideas I considered...
    1. the people I interviewed with (attitudes/ professionalism)
    2. subject area/ grade
    3. pay/ benefits
    4. distance from home
    5. job security
    6. travelling vs. stable room
    GOOD LUCK! :D

10. mstemple05

mstemple05 Cohort

Sep 15, 2007

I don't want to scare anyone off and i know it's never come up before but i need to say it because it goes with this whole plot thickening thing:

I am a black woman, i live in the city of philadelphia. The reason that it's all relevant is because the 2 schools that i have been offered positions at are afrocentric schools. While you MAY be tempted to think that it shouldn't bother me and that maybe i should be comfortable-i'm not.

I wasn't raised to be so concerned with black and white and whatever other colors are out there. I wasn't raised to "be so in tune with my african roots & culture". Both of these schools make me QUITE uncomfortable. They do a "ritual" at gatherings called "libation". It's supposedly thanking our ancestors and calling upon them for strength or whatever and they pour water on a plant.. Go figure. I'm a Christian, I love my Lord & savior Jesus Christ and I don't know that I want to be forced to or HAVE to participate in activities that I don't know understand or believe enough in to do them myself. I don't do these things at home. I read my bible, i pray, i don't call on my ancestors or anything like that. If it makes it seem like i'm not "embracing my roots" then i'm sorry if i've offended you. But i just don't know what to do now.

My grandmother told me to choose the lesser of 2 evils and get out when i can. She thinks they're brainwashing the teachers and faculty. The school I first interviewed at call you Brother & Sister (first name). The other calls you Mothura & Mothuri (first name). No ms bailey (that's my last name). I'm not a black power, africa motherland kinda person and I think it kinda sucks to be in this situation. I should be excited about these positions and yet here I am. Frustrated. Confused. I know it's just something they do on the job, but would a regular school make a muslim child say the pledge? No. They go around and ask and i've had students in the past say they don't say it and sit quietly while everyone else does.

So again, my grandmother says go with the lesser of the two evils. Let me tell you what also happened. The school who offered first had a community day type thing for family & friends today. They were explaining the libation thing they do every morning and this woman (who apparently lives across the street and has a problem with them & sent letters to the school district) stood up and said "I'm a Christian and i don't like what they're doing and it makes me uncomfortable how they force these kids to do these libations. They are forcing these children to worship the devil! You are putting your children's lives @ risk by sending them here. You children's lives are @ stake here inviting all kinds of devils & spirits in."

LOL. Yea, GREAT first impression. Not to mention the first guy who spoke said somethin like "we were kidnapped and if we were never kidnapped we wouldn't be having this conversation about libations because u would already know what it is."

On a lighter note, the school i went to today (we'll call it school I for now) doesn't have too much of a dress code-no sneakers, no jeans. They kind of did celebrate me being there yesterday and that felt good. But I will be a floater (until the new building is finished-who knows when, maybe next school year?) so i don't know where my belongings will go. They said i share a room with somebody. No thanks. Umm, it's english 3. I'm used to high school students, i taught 9th my first year 10th my second and so it would be like i was following my kids. So on a comfort level, i would be able to better relate to the 11th graders. They're a older and our discussions and the vocabulary usage wouldn't have to be "watered down" (to an extent). School I is 2 mins up the street from my niece's daycare. Their school day is from 10-5 (teachers 9:30-5:10). Paid over 12 mos.

The other school, we'll call it NM for now, i have my own classroom. That DEFINITELY excites me.. I am only allowed to wear skirts/dresses however. There's a no pants policy for women. The pay is slightly more, but they only pay you over the 9 or 10 mos we're in school, so no summer pay. Here, i would get my emergency certification and i would have to get in school to keep it. They do some of the same "cultural" type things but they're not as loud and celebratory. I visited there the other night @ a community night shindig they had (my friend who works there told me i should come network) and they were by no means similar to school I. They were quiet and i even sat there in the middle of the program thinking "wow, these are a bunch of well-educated/well-spoken black people. and they're afrocentric? how cool. i could do this, they're not over the top. they embrace their culture but they still embrace education first and foremost." And i loved the talk i had with the CEO, she was soooooo sweet & nice and she was very professional. She took notes while we were talking and i thought it was cool how at the community night said "well why don't we just set something up right now". School NM is about 10-15 mins from us, but the high school (where the staff dev. takes place) is 2 mins from home. Their school day is 7:45-3:45 for teachers. Kids go 8-3:30. or 3:10. One of the 2.

please help me.

11. mstemple05

mstemple05 Cohort

Sep 15, 2007

Oh and at School I, (i WANT to continue teaching english), when she introduced me, she made it seem like i was just coming in to get the kids started (with english) and then "transition into spanish"-those were her exact words. "She's gonna help us out in the beginning with the english component and then transition into spanish". So in other words, after a while i may only be doing spanish?

Again, please help. I need to reject someone. And i don't know which at this point. And to make it better, they're "sister schools". So the CEOs know each other and even have meetings and staff developments together.

12. cmw

cmw Groupie

Sep 15, 2007

Wow, that really is complex :confused: I would go with the lesser of 2 thought. I've taught in catholic schools and felt pretty comfortable (the same sort of brainwashing is an issue in some). Maybe ask yourself if there's a chance one of them would be somewhere you could stay? If not take the one that is closer or pays more or would look better on a resume. Think about which things you could deal with for just a year. (Personally I don't think I could do the whole skirt thing. I'd have to shave all the time :eek:).

13. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Sep 15, 2007

If you are not planning on staying at either school for more than a year, in your pro/con list above it sounds like you had a better feeling with the NM school. You'll have to teach spanish but if you are not planning on staying; it is only 1 more year of teaching spanish. Is the pay pretty much the same, just not spread out over 12 months?

14. mstemple05

mstemple05 Cohort

Sep 15, 2007

i'm teaching english @ both places. and the pay is about $400 more than school I. But it's paid from sept-june as opposed to summer pay included. so i pretty much have to budget cuz i'm gonna have a whole wazoo of cash in my checks and nothing over the summer.

15. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Sep 15, 2007

Since you have to take one of the jobs. hmmmmmmm well right now I have a bad feeling about School I.

But which works better for the daycare for your niece? Couldn't you get a summer job? Tutor or something.

Next year you will be able to move out of state if you are able to adopt your niece right?

16. Maryhf

Maryhf Connoisseur

Sep 15, 2007

Lots of people here have shared awesome organizational techniques for traveling teachers so I wouldn't let that bother you. The middle school world, however different from high school, can be a great place to be. I love their enthusiasm and how they are learning to discover their world! Really though, nothing can replace the convenience of having your neice's day care close and it sounds like the most important thing is that you have good steady employment so you can keep her. Go with your instincts and you'll make the best out of the cards you've been dealt. Who made you feel good inside? That's where you will be the happiest. My prayers are with you while you make this important decision.

17. mstemple05

mstemple05 Cohort

Sep 15, 2007

They're both not far from her daycare, although school I is the closest.

I guess now it's just about the content. Which do i feel more comfortable with-world lit or middle school english. I've always taught HS so i'm not sure if the transition to middle school would be a crazy one or a do-able one.

18. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Sep 15, 2007

How come I never can say things so nicely. Great advice Mary!

19. mstemple05

mstemple05 Cohort

Sep 15, 2007

My instincts are screwed up right now

20. Maryhf

Maryhf Connoisseur

Sep 15, 2007

Yeah, wouldn't it be great if at least one of them was perfect for you? I understand you have cultural concerns with the climates of the schools and feeling like you want to be true to yourself. Being from a Lutheran background, I would have trouble at a conservative Baptist school, but I applied at several because I wanted a job. I wanted to work anywhere! Unfortunately, you are finding yourself in the position of needing to take one of 2 imperfect positions. Sleep on it and maybe one of them will start to look better in the morning.

21. mstemple05

mstemple05 Cohort

Sep 15, 2007

you're right. i'm gonna pray on it, sleep, go to church and hopefully something will stick out. i keep asking God to drop it in my lap-i keep thinking maybe the high school one only because it was offered first and i would have NEVER taken that one over the middle school.

i'm so sad right now.. and i should be ECSTATIC!!!

22. Yank7

Yank7 Habitué

Sep 15, 2007

It is a very difficult decision and one you hopefully will have no regrets about. Is it possible to talk to teachers from both schools and find out about their feelings towards teaching there?From your statements it seems you are used to teaching at the high school level and working with older students. I have always been told the most difficult level is the middle, intermediate schools.Whatever you decide try to leave the other school with a good feeling that you appreciate their offer and would look forward to working their if an opportunity arrives in the future. Good Luck in whatever you decide to do.

23. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Sep 16, 2007

I have worked from preschool to 12th grade. Last year I taught k to 8th. I loved all the grades I found something in each grade I liked. I think if you go into the job (which ever you pick) with a positive attitude you will have a wonderful year. Just think of it as a learning experience.

24. MarshNConsMom

MarshNConsMom Rookie

Sep 16, 2007

So did you already have your mind set on wanting the middle school job after both interviews? Are you afraid of hurting someone's feelings if you turn around and decline the high school job?

If your reasons for wanting the MS job, I say go for that one.

Like you said, you might have a clearer understanding of what is best for you after sleeping on it and praying about it.

Good luck with your decision!

25. mstemple05

mstemple05 Cohort

Sep 16, 2007

After much thought, prayer, frustration, confusion AND GREAT ADVICE from you guys..

i've decided to stick with the high school position. although i'm a bit concerned about the content of the 11th grade english curriculum, it doesn't intimidate me. and the most important thing for me (since this is a new subject area) is comfort. and i do know HS and 11th grade would be like teaching my students from last year or following my first year students (9th graders that year). and i also figured that at least i knew what they did and the "libations" seems to be the only thing they actually do culturally speaking. and who knows what else school nm does-although i do know they have these greetings and farewells they say to each other. and some sort of "grace". at least school i did say "god is good all the time and all the time god is good" (that's an oldie but goodie from church :) )

good thing i went to church today! i prayed about it and slept and i almost skipped out but i said no i might miss my answer. as soon as i got in the door (i was a bit late ;) ) the pastor was calling for all of the teachers to come to the altar so he could pray for us. he does this every year around this time, i went down last year. and before he prayed he told a story about his 6th grade teacher who he always remembered. he talked about high school not being the end of school for our children but just the beginning and then he started talking about how some of us were in schools that were considered flat out war-zones. i was walking to my car (from church) next to a guy who left middle school & is now teaching 3rd grade. he told me middle school was rough. i told him i kept hearing that and that i chose HS because i was familiar with it and i chose to stick with what i know. and he said "you gotta do that sometimes." and he went on to tell me that that particular school he was @ was rough. so, i said, well lord i'm gonna choose school I and if i'm wrong, please stop me or let me know. i informed the other school i had to decline and i told her she was the sweetest administrator i'd ever known (she really is).

so here's to hoping i made the right decision! and you guys are right, whatever i chose, as long as i went in with a positive mindstate, i would have had the best possible year. yaaaaayyyyyy!!! now i'm happy again! and can get excited about the school year!

thanks guys for helping me with my decision. thank you so much for listening to me and providing your comforting words and advice. i REALLY appreciate it. i wish i really could buy you all drinks..

:hugs:

26. Yank7

Yank7 Habitué

Sep 16, 2007

Congratulations on your decision! Have a great school year!

27. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Sep 16, 2007

whoa! where was I? sleeping on the job?? :lol:

28. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Sep 16, 2007

what?! you got two job offers!!!

sorry mstemp...you know...it is sunday..and I just found out!

Now..since you are unashamedly black and unapolgetically Christian...(the motto of our church), it seems as if you would be comfortable at either school.

I personally had a hard time with a Afro-centric pre-k program...because I felt our kids needed a more diverse program. yet, I wanted to eat so I went along with it. and I did learn a few things along the way.

If you get up every morning, and you keep going...then there you are. As long as you don't have to wear kente cloth, change your name, and recite some verse that is totally against your beliefs..I think you will be fine...

get that job...

I would go with more pay...and shorter commute, in that order

29. Turtle321

Turtle321 Companion

Sep 16, 2007

CONGRATS mstemple05!!!!!!!!!!!!! :up::2up:

30. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Sep 16, 2007

It sounds like you need to get in writing what each school is offering you. I would be honest with each CEO, and tell them you have two offers and you need to make a tough decision, and need them to be very clear about their job expectations.

31. TeacherRW

TeacherRW Cohort

Sep 16, 2007

Congrats on choosing... your destiny awaits!!

32. daysy_may

daysy_may Groupie

Sep 16, 2007

Wonderful, wonderful!