The Pledge of Allegiance

Discussion in 'General Education Archives' started by historyteacher, Oct 1, 2006.

1. historyteacher

historyteacher Companion

Oct 1, 2006

I'm wondering about the pledge to the flag and how it is handled across the county.

Does your school say the pledge each morning? Do you require all students to stand? All students to recite it? Do you say it?

What do you do if there is an objection? What about students and their families who object to the pledge?

3. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Oct 1, 2006

The elementary schools in my county recite the pledge each morning, followed by a "moment of silent meditation." It seems the meditation drops when you enter middle or high school, although I don't understand why. Maybe it's because they are old enough to know they can object and cause a fuss. :)

In my school and classroom we stand in respect while the national anthem plays and we then recite the pledge together. I take this somewhat seriously...as in, if someone is talking during this time that is a problem that will be addressed. I certainly say the pledge as well! I think it would be odd not to.

I haven't had a student object, but if they did I would need to know that it was a genuine objection (religious, political, etc.) and I would not require them stand. However, they would have to remain silent.

Good question!

4. wunderwhy

wunderwhy Comrade

Oct 1, 2006

The Supreme Court has struck down state laws which mandated saying the pledge of allegiance. You cannot force a child to participate. However, you can require that all students be silent and respectful. One of my students wrote in her introductory letter that she didn't like saying the pledge and hoped it wouldn't offend me since she has me the first period of the day. I wrote back that I wasn't offended and would never encourage her to do anything that she didn't feel right about.

I personally do not believe in the "under God" phrase which was added during the Cold War. Although I am a protestant, I grew up in a school district where I was the religious minority, and I never felt that I should assume that others were the same religion as I or any religion at all. When that part of the pledge comes around, I just sort of mumble. Not obviously so that kids will notice, but I just make noises like, "Heh huh hod."

My state has a mandatory moment of silence, but very few of the teachers observe it. I don't make a point of announcing the beginning of the moment of silence and timing it, but I did tell the students on the first day that after the end of the announcements each day we would have our state mandated moment of silence. I just take attendance or straighten up my papers for a bit, then start class. I don't want to fail in my duty to uphold state law, but I also know that very few teachers do it and that my half-hearted gesture is about the best you'll get in my school.

5. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Oct 1, 2006

Our morning news program (student run) asks the students to please stand for the pledge. They recite the pledge on the news. If I have kids who do not recite I INSIST that they stand quietly and respectfully as others are reciting the pledge.

6. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Oct 1, 2006

I recite the pledge proudly, and am thankful every single day that "under God" is part of our daily routine. Just that tiny reference makes me feel better about our school system somehow.

I purchased the posters from the American Family Association which say "In God We Trust - The national motto of the United States of America, Adopted by Congress July 30, 1958." This is displayed on on the front on my desk for all to see.

7. hernandoreading

hernandoreading Comrade

Oct 1, 2006

In my school we have the Pledge and a moment of silence every morning. I do ask all students to stand and be respectful during that time, but do not make them say it. I usually find myself taking a breath during the "under God" part, being part of a minority religion myself. The kids haven't noticed, and probably never will.

8. corps2005

corps2005 Cohort

Oct 1, 2006

We are not mandated to say the pledge of allegiance and not many classes do, nor do I. I guess it depends on where you are.

9. Mrs. R.

Mrs. R. Connoisseur

Oct 1, 2006

In our school, the students on the televised morning announcements ask all to stand and say the Pledge. I ask all students to stand, but I do not force them to say the Pledge if they do not want to. I say it, but I do not say the "Under God" part, as I do not believe that religion of any kind should be in our public schools.
    I have had students who were not allowed to say the pledge for religious reasons, but the parents were great about it, and let us know before school started. I honestly can't remember if those students stood silently or just didn't come in the room until after the pledge.

10. Rosieo

Rosieo Enthusiast

Oct 1, 2006

We say the pledge every Monday morning together as a school. It is said over the speaker system. Our principal takes one classroom at a time to help him in the office say it over the speaker system. I have never had a student refuse to do it.

11. brandit929

brandit929 Rookie

Oct 1, 2006

The school where I work has a morning meeting every morning in the main area of the school. We stand for a moment of silent meditation and before we leave we say The Pledge of Allegiance and then the Texas State Pledge.

12. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Oct 1, 2006

Interesting to read different responses to this question ...bottom line, isn't it great to live in a country where we still have freedoms? Think about the brainwashing diatribes hammered into kids in 'schools' in less freedom-friendly countries (I won't name the countries on my mind but you can add your own silent thoughts as you read this...) and for that very reason I proudly display my American flag at home and at school, say the pledge every day and thank God that I was born in this country.

13. ozteach

ozteach Comrade

Oct 1, 2006

Or, indeed any country with such freedoms!

14. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Oct 1, 2006

Exactly ozteach- believe me Australia would never be on my list of mind-numbing diatribe inducing countries!! Happy freedom to you down under as well!! (Do you have a pledge??)

15. lteach2

lteach2 Cohort

Oct 1, 2006

We have 5th graders recite the pledge over the intercom every morning. Everyone stands whether or not they recite it. After that, we say our character pledge and EVERYONE has to say that.

16. 1stesl

1stesl Rookie

Oct 1, 2006

We say the Pledge of Allegiance and the Texas pledge every morning, followed by a moment of silence. The principal leads it over the intercom...I think the phrase "under God" is a very important part of the pledge.

17. Miss_J

Miss_J Habitué

Oct 1, 2006

We stand to say the pledge each morning with the principal over the loud speaker. Everyone says it and then we stand for a patriotic song. If there is an objection, they may sit and not say the pledge.

18. stephenpe

stephenpe Connoisseur

Oct 2, 2006

I led the pledge and moment of silence on the morning announcements for 20 years at my school. Over the years
    I had a few students (mostly Jehovah's Witnesses) that
    didnt participate even though they were part of my
    announcers or camera people. As I recall they were also
    some of my best kids.
    At my new school we have morning announc. in the lunchroom
    and do the pledge and moment of silence all together in the
    same room (very small school).

19. ozteach

ozteach Comrade

Oct 2, 2006

Nope, no pledge. We have a beautiful anthem, with lots of archaic words such as 'our land is girt by sea'!! My five year old sings 'our land is dirt by sea', which it is, really!!

20. Mrs LC

Mrs LC Comrade

Oct 2, 2006

If it ever rained she'd need to change the line though! :)

Our kids sing both verses of the anthem every Monday at assembly, and we have a school "promise": "We are standing with friends we care for and respect. The flag reminds us that Australia is our home and we must do what we can to make it fair and peaceful for everyone to work well together." A bit wishy-washy if you ask me, but non offensive to all creeds too.

21. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Oct 2, 2006

My colleague (grade 2) asks his kids to write the words to the National Anthem and the pledge every year- It's very amusing what they think the words are!!

22. OneFishTwoFish

OneFishTwoFish Rookie

Oct 2, 2006

We say the pledge every morning. I do ask that the students stand, but they do not have to recite. Usually you can only hear my voice saying it. Oh well. As long as their respectful, it's cool with me.

23. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Oct 2, 2006

We say the pledge every morning. Six teachers send their All-Star of the Week to say the pledge over the intercom. Each day it's a different set of teachers (I am always on Tuesdays). We ask the students to stand and recite it. If ever a parent came to me with objections I would just ask the student to stand. At our last school (we've combined all of 1st and 2nd grades in our new school) we had a student pledge we would say every morning as well.

24. wunderwhy

wunderwhy Comrade

Oct 2, 2006

When I was in 6th grade, my teacher asked me to write out the pledge for Mikhail, our new student from Russia. That's when I discovered that it's not actually, "I pledge THE allegiance . . ." :)

25. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Virtuoso

Oct 3, 2006

We don't say it often in our middle school. When we do, I ask the students to stand, but they don't have to say the pledge. Around here refusal to say the pledge is typically a religious issue. I say it when the kids say it.

26. Music Doc

Music Doc Habitué

Oct 5, 2006

The pledge is led via intercom announcements every morning and it follows the state-mandated "moment of silence." Students CANNOT be forced to recite the pledge, NOR to stand during its recitation....but they ARE required to remain quiet while the others take part.
    As for the "under God" part....I believe the same for this as I do for our currency.....when you remove "God" from it, you might as well just throw it away because it becomes worthless. While it's not PC to say so, this country was founded upon religious principles and thoughts....and the Constitution only provides freedom OF religion, not freedom FROM religion. Just my 2 cents.

27. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Oct 8, 2006

We recite it each morning. Students are to stand and salute the flag (hand over heart, boyscouts often salute with hands to foreheads.) Each classroom does the pledge on its own.