The people who hire; what are the top five traits they are looking for?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by heavens54, May 2, 2010.

1. heavens54

heavens54 Connoisseur

May 2, 2010

Do you think? The top five (or more) priorities they want in a teacher besides the obvious; smart, capable, good grades, flexible, open to any grade. With those interview questions, what are they really wanting to find out about a candidate do you think?

:) :confused: :) :confused: :)

3. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

May 2, 2010

I'm not on the hiring side but I'm going to give my thoughts anyways...

1. Knowledge
    2. Passion
    3. Reflective
    4. Flexibility
    5. Team Player
    6. Positive Personality
    7. Common Sense
    8. Ability to Lesson Plan
    9. Ability to Differentiate
    10. Professionalism
    11. Classroom Management Skills

4. gottagoodgig

gottagoodgig Companion

May 2, 2010

Not an expert either, but my opinion...

1. Passion
    2. Enthusiasm
    3. Team Player
    4. Uses data to drive instruction
    5. Honor whole child
    6. Teach to multiple intelligences
    7. Flexible
    8. Ability to differentiate daily

Good luck! You can do it!

5. schoolteacher

schoolteacher Habitué

May 2, 2010

I think one of the biggest things they look for is how you work under pressure.

An interview is a very pressure filled situation, just as a classroom can be. If you can conduct yourself well (be relaxed, personable, give good eye contact, speak clearly and articulately with confidence), then that is a big plus that demonstrates to future employers your professionalism.

Interestingly, one of our objectives in my second grade class on Friday was to learn how to interview someone. We focused on good eye contact, clear speech, and excellent listening. By the end of that lesson, I was amazed at the fact that every student in the room, even the quietest, shyest one, was able to successfully interview and be interviewed, following the above criteria.

These skills can be learned, definitely.

6. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

May 2, 2010

I like the one about using data to drive instruction.... that's a biggie.

I was also thinking about keeping cool in crisis which goes with working under pressure.

7. heavens54

heavens54 Connoisseur

May 2, 2010

These are excellent ideas. Please keep them coming. It will help relax me in an interview (should I get one) if I have an idea as to what they are thinking and looking for. Yes, objectives have made a difference in my teaching. And the data. I just did this with a math test. Retaught the questions that had the most missed answers. It helped me to understand their weaknesses.

8. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

May 2, 2010

The traits listed above are all good, but there's more to it than that. I look for somebody who goes the extra mile. Before you even get to the interview, I'm making judgements. Did you spend the time creating a cover letter just for me, or did you send me a generic cover letter, maybe with a line changed here and there to make it look personal. You don't have to know my name, but you'd better know the name of the dean, and that letter should be addressed to him or somebody in a similar position (I don't expect you know the names of the hiring committee, but the dean or principal is easy to find out).

When you finally do get to the interview, what do you know about my school? Do you know what struggles we've faced, and what accomplishments we've made? Do you know how we've overcome past issues? What are our student demographics? What's our philosophy? If you don't know those things, then you're out of the running.

After that, I look for somebody who's knowledgable and confident. I want somebody who can walk in and tell me why I'd be remiss if I don't hire her. Tell me why not hiring you would be the biggest mistake I've ever made.

Don't bash your former employer, even if they were horrible. Tell me tactfully why you left. If you've been working locally, I probably already know if there are major issues in a different school, and if you aren't local, I can read between the lines. I appreciate the professionalisim, as one day you might be talking about ME, and I really don't want to hire somebody I think might badmouth me down the road.

The ability to turn negatives into positives is a major plus. So you had to take your student teaching a second time? Tell me why that makes you even MORE fabulous than a student who only did it once. Was your first year a total bomb? Tell me what you learned, and how you plan on fixing it when you get a classroom in my school.

Lastly, and something most people won't tell you, but I need to like you. Sometimes, the choice between two qualified candidates comes down, quite simply, to who I like more. That's not exactly fair, but its true.

9. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

May 2, 2010

Oh, and I don't want a robot, reciting facts and throwing around edspeak. I want a real person, who knows how to be serious and knows how to laugh. I want to know that any edspeak thrown around is a natural consequence of your experience, not an attempt to impress me with technical mumbo jumbo.

10. heavens54

heavens54 Connoisseur

May 2, 2010

You mean pedagogy? I remember the first time my faculty person said this to me and I had NO idea what it meant. NOW I do...

11. heavens54

heavens54 Connoisseur

May 2, 2010

mmswm, can I steal your saying at the bottom of your post and put it on my facebook page. Did you make that up?

12. TiffanyL

TiffanyL Cohort

May 2, 2010

Great advice, mmswm, were you in human resources before?

13. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

May 2, 2010

The only thing I would add is confidence. Being on the hiring end this year at my school, this is a great list. :)

14. gottagoodgig

gottagoodgig Companion

May 2, 2010

I really like mmswm's points. On the interview committees that I've served on, it's VERY nice to see someone who has researched your school and knows a lot about it. A google search will give you lots of information in addition to the school's website. Ask questions....it's your interview too!

When it's the end of an interview and you are (usually) asked "Do you have anything else you would like us to know?" SELL YOURSELF. Don't just say "no, thanks....". Talk about why YOU are AMAZING. This isn't time to be humble....

Again, good luck! Exciting times!

15. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

May 2, 2010

:yeahthat: So very, very true.

16. heavens54

heavens54 Connoisseur

May 2, 2010

What would I need to know about the school that I am applying to? Their test scores? How many go? What grades they have? How many teachers? What other things would be good for me to be aware of?

17. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

May 2, 2010

I think most districts also post demographics of students-# on free/reduced lunch, ethnicity and average length of time teachers there have been teaching can tell you a lot as well. It might score you bonus points if you have something nice to say about their school website as well-or a question about an activity you saw there-it would definitely show interest.

I would add to this great list a sense of humor. Sometimes people come off so serious you know they wouldn't last 10 minutes in a classroom full of kids or working with the grade level of teachers. Passion was a big one for me-sometimes you can just see a person's eyes light up when they talk about their classroom and their students.

18. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

May 2, 2010

Heavens: I stole the quote from my department head's chair when I worked at the college. It was part of a book of funny quotes she had gotten from office max. As for the edspeak thing, I think I'd rather have a person admit they don't know a particular word. In this case, had you asked, and if it was explained, and you went "Oh, how you teach something!", would have been better than somebody who used the term with no idea what it really means.

Tiffany: No, I've never been in human resources, but I've spent more than my fair share of times on hiring committees, and I've been a hiring manager at my pre-education jobs.