The Patriots are bullies??

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Beth2004, Oct 31, 2007.

1. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Oct 31, 2007

Have you heard this? Apparently the new complaint about the Patriots (now that they can no longer use the videotapes as an excuse for their winning) is that they're bullying the other teams. People seem to think that they're running the scores up too high in their games.

So I guess they're expected to stop trying to score points because they're dominating the other team...."We're winning 38-0, maybe we should stop trying to score touchdowns so they don't feel so bad about themselves" or "No, don't go for that long pass to try to score, let's just go for a first down and give the other team a chance to stop us."

It's absolute nonsense.

3. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Oct 31, 2007

Can't get into this discussion with you :p

[GO COLTS :up:

4. koocat008

koocat008 Companion

Oct 31, 2007

I'm a through and through Bears fan :) but to stick up for the Patriots, that is just ridiculous if people think Patriots are bullying these teams and that is why these teams are losing, geez... I haven't heard of this info yet. I'm still upset over our loss to Detroit :down:

I am excited for the Colts/Patriots game coming up, not sure who I want to win......

DA BEARS:D

5. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Oct 31, 2007

Well, that's just it. I mean, regardless of what team you're a fan of, that reasoning just doesn't make sense. The other teams are losing because they're not scoring enough touchdowns themselves, not because the Pats are scoring too many!

6. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Oct 31, 2007

I think people are thinking that if the Pats are winning by 38 or more points (like they were Sunday) then they should let their starters rest and put their second string guys in to let those guys get some experience for when a started gets hurts.

7. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Oct 31, 2007

Sure, they could do that, but keeping their starters in doesn't make them "bullies." It just means that their second string guys aren't getting as much experience. Regardless of who the Pats have on the field, the other teams need to score more touchdowns in order to win.

Also, the examples I heard on tv were that instead of kicking a field goal when they were up 38-0, they should have gone for the touchdown to give the other team a chance to stop them and that Brady shouldn't have thrown a 40 yd. pass when they were already up 41-7. Nonsense.

8. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Oct 31, 2007

Come on koocat - you've go to stand up for the mid-west :)

9. smalltowngal

Oct 31, 2007

I agree Beth. Why should the Pats have to step down when the other team should step it up? I think that's just what those people who are calling them bullies are thinking.

10. goldalex

goldalex Rookie

Nov 1, 2007

What makes them bullies, is that when they are up by 30+ points instead of running the ball to run out the clock and end the game, they are calling pass plays designed to score touchdowns. I would have no problem if they were running and doing short dump off passes. They are intentionally scoring more points then they need to at the end of games just to show that they can score however much they want at anytime. It is ridiculous and is totally unsportsmanlike.

11. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Nov 1, 2007

So they should stop trying to score touchdowns just because they're up by 30 points? I understand that they probably already know they're going to win at that point, but why should they stop trying to score? What about the other team's defense? If they were doing what they're supposed to be doing, they wouldn't be allowing them to throw the long passes. They would be rushing Tom Brady, not giving him the time to be patient and throw the ball or they would make sure that there were no receivers open to catch the pass. It's not the Patriots' fault that the other teams aren't doing that.

12. smalltowngal

Nov 1, 2007

Have you seen the article about what Bill Cohwer said about a team hurting Tom Brady? He says that if the Pats keep playing like they are and running the score up then one of the teams is going to knock him to the ground and HARD, purposely trying to take him out of the that and future games.

13. Brendan

Brendan Fanatic

Nov 1, 2007

They can try and take down Brady but it 8 games they have not been successful. The Patrios are unstoppable. Go Pats and go Bill! IN BILL WE TRUST! It is not our fault that we can score over 50 pts on the best pass defense in the league. I do feel bad though for all Redskins, Chargers, and any other team fans, as we have complete embarrased them.

14. koocat008

koocat008 Companion

Nov 1, 2007

You see, it is easy to say i'm midwest and I should be rooting for colts in the colts/patriots game.... but, it's not easy to forget last year's superbowl:) it all comes down (for me) on which quarter back is cuter, Peyton, or Brady... and that is where the toss up comes :wub:

15. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Nov 4, 2007

Woo Hoo! Pats are 9-0!! :2up:

It is an AWESOME year to be a New England sports fan!!

16. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Nov 4, 2007

Oh..and just thought I'd add...

See what happens when the Patriots face a defense that actually challenges them? They don't run up the score!

17. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Nov 4, 2007

:( Good game Just not the turn out we had hoped for :(

We'll see you at the playoffs - that's what really counts :)

18. smalltowngal

Nov 4, 2007

Like hubby said, the just met the only team that had a chance to beat them. But, there is the playoff game so we'll see what happens when it counts!

19. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Nov 4, 2007

Yep! See ya then! ;)

20. teachingmomof4

teachingmomof4 Groupie

Nov 4, 2007

The playoffs are a whole new ball game.

21. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Nov 4, 2007

That's the exact same thing the Yankees fans kept posting on my Red Sox threads and we all saw how that season ended.... :p

22. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Nov 4, 2007

Come Beth - don't be so greedy. You've already got one championship team. You don't need another :)

23. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Nov 4, 2007

:lol: I can't help it!

I will admit, though, that I am a much bigger Red Sox fan than I am a Patriots fan. I love the Pats, and I watch most of their games, but I would've been much more devasted if the Sox didn't win the world series than I will be if the Pats don't win the superbowl.

24. teachingmomof4

teachingmomof4 Groupie

Nov 4, 2007

You have to make it to the Superbowl first. Like I said, the playoffs are a whole new ball game.

25. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Nov 5, 2007

I think it's funny that whenever I post cheering on one of my local teams, I get fans of other teams telling me "the playoffs are a whole new ballgame" when I'm not even talking about the playoffs. All I said was "Woo Hoo! Pats are 9-0!" That has nothing to do with the playoffs. At this point they're undefeated and that's what I'm cheering about.

Like I said, it was the same thing with the Yankees fans when I was cheering for the Red Sox winning the division. No matter what happened in the playoffs, it wouldn't have changed the fact that they were the best in their division....same thing with the Patriots.

26. teachingmomof4

teachingmomof4 Groupie

Nov 5, 2007

Playoffs and Superbowl. (By the way, I wanted the Pats to win yesterday so no reason to get defensive. I'm just saying, don't count your chickens before they're hatched is all.)

27. smalltowngal

Nov 5, 2007

Hubby and I were talking about it last night, and we both decided that only the Pats can beat themselves this year. They were down early in the game, had tons of yards due to penalities and still came back to win it. It's up to them how far they remain undefeated.

28. smalltowngal

Nov 5, 2007

Just saw a news article where the Patriots are pointing the finger at the Colts saying they cheated by piping out crowd noise over the loud speaker. Um, hello, you won!! What does it matter?!?

29. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Nov 5, 2007

I never said they were going to win the superbowl or remain undefeated into the playoffs. I'm just celebrating their current record. That's all.

30. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Nov 5, 2007

Oh yeah, the penalties were terrible. I don't think I've ever seen them get so many penalties against them. Like I said, they finally met a defense that challenged them. None of the other teams have really given them a run for their money this season the way the Colts did yesterday, and I think that was expected. I thought they were going to lose the game, but then in the second half they finally started looking like the team that's been winning all season.

31. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Nov 5, 2007

There's been way too much "finger pointing" in football this season. The Pats are being called bullies, now they're pointing fingers at the Colts...it all needs to stop.

I do think the crowd noise was a factor on both ends yesterday, though because there were a few times when the Colts seemed confused about the play and who was supposed to be on the field.

32. smalltowngal

Nov 5, 2007

Beth, I think the Pats have a great chance of going undefeated throughout this season. I agree w/ you that the finger pointing needs to stop. From the Colts game I've seen, I think they always do that to try and confuse the defense.

33. teachingmomof4

teachingmomof4 Groupie

Nov 5, 2007

Just to clarify: I personally wasn't doing any "finger pointing" and was actually rooting for the Patriots to win. I think they are a good football team, this season, and if they make it to the playoffs and later the Superbowl, more power to them. They deserve it. I have watched every game (my husband has them all on dvr and we watch at least 3 games each Sunday). They are having an AWESOME year!

34. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Nov 5, 2007

I didn't say you were finger pointing. I said that there's a lot of finger pointing in football this year (other teams whining about the Pats running up the score and now the Pats saying the Colts were cheating by playing crowd noise over the speakers).

35. teachingmomof4

teachingmomof4 Groupie

Nov 5, 2007

In the end, the final score is all that matters. They know that they haven't done anything wrong.

36. Rabbitt

Rabbitt Connoisseur

Nov 5, 2007

AMEN! If they score by running out the clock, so be it. It seemed like they wanted to prove they do not cheat. I was a supportive NE fan until I saw this type of play. :down:

37. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Nov 5, 2007

Like I said, though, when they face a defense that actually challenges them (like the Colts did yesterday) they aren't able to run up the score. How many successful long passes did they have yesterday? Not many. It's all about the other teams getting in there to try to sack the QB and make interceptions.

I still don't see how anyone can blame them for continuing to try to score. That'd be like calling a baseball player unsportsman-like for hitting a grand slam in the 9th inning when the team was already up by a bunch of runs.
    "Why couldn't he just hit a fly ball to get out and end the game? Why did he have to hit a home run and run up the score?"
    It just doesn't make sense....

38. nc4th

nc4th Rookie

Nov 21, 2007

Huge Pat's fan here! I am glad some one else think that the bullying compliant is silly. They get paid millions of dollars to play their best and the other teams get paid millions to take it like men and not babies. Suck it up, it is a professional sport not a pee-wee league. I can understand maybe having a mercy rule for leagues that do not get paid such as college or children's leagues, but they are adults and paid well get over it. If you don't want to look bad play better!