"The Outsiders" or "Among the Hidden"???

Discussion in 'Middle School / Junior High' started by MissEducation, Mar 30, 2010.

1. MissEducation

MissEducation Companion

Mar 30, 2010

Has anyone taught either of these? (I'm sure some of you have taught "The Outsiders"!) I have 8th grade. I let them vote on what they wanted to read and these two are neck and neck. I want to pick the one that they'll get the most out of. I've never read "Among the Hidden" - sounds good but I'm worried about finding enough resources for it.

3. hatima

hatima Devotee

Mar 30, 2010

"Among the Hidden" is a great book it is actually part of a series. It is about population control. Third children are considered selfish by nature and are cruelly killed if discovered.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Among_the_Hidden

The wikipedia link has a good summary.

http://www.teachervision.fen.com/science-fiction/printable/56943.html Teacher's guide with discussion questions.

http://www.bookrags.com/studyguide-among-the-hidden/

I googled "Among the Hidden" teacher guide, quite a few good sites came up.

http://www.haddixbooks.com/books/hidden.html

The other books in the series are: Among the Impostors, Among the Betrayed, Among the Barons, Among the Brave, Among the Enemy, and Among the Free. All are great. I love how Margaret Haddix writes books that really lend themselves to open discussions about policy and rights.

4. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Mar 30, 2010

I loved both The Outsiders and That was Then, This is Now (both by S.E. Hinton) as a kid. I read them on my own, not through school, but pretty much devoured both of them.

5. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Virtuoso

Mar 30, 2010

I teach The Outsiders. I've taught it for a long time. We used to teach it in 8th grade, but they changed to focus on listerature of the time period being studied in social studies. We put The Outsiders back into 7th grade at the end of the school year.

I like it better than Among the Hidden, but I'm not much for that genre. Some of the kids read them, but this year's group hasn't cared for them.

6. mrsf70

mrsf70 Companion

Apr 4, 2010

I just read The Outsiders with a middle school book club that meets once a week from 3-4pm. It was every bit as good as I remembered it being! The kids made a lot of text-to-self and text-to-world connections. I would definitely teach it in the classroom if I moved back to literature.

7. round stanley

round stanley Companion

Apr 21, 2010

8. MrsCAD

MrsCAD Companion

May 16, 2010

I teach The Outsiders to my 8th grade and my students love it. Even my boys who hate to read it always read ahead in the book. This year we watched the movie as well and the kids didn't like the movie because it took away from the book. I probably won't show it again.

9. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

May 16, 2010

I'm almost halfway through The Outsiders with my grade 7 and 8s. I'm doing it as a read-aloud, stopping frequently to discuss and gauge understanding. So far, the kids are mesmerized and most are loving it. We are going to watch the movie after we're finished reading so that we can do a comparison of the two.