The Only Spanish kid

Discussion in 'Montessori' started by leibryant928, Mar 17, 2009.

1. leibryant928

leibryant928 New Member

Mar 17, 2009

We are starting a homeschool that is based in Montessori. I am licensed to accept 5 more kids aside from my kids. I did have an interested parent today that came to my open house and is very much interested to enroll her kids. The problem is that her kids do not speak nor understand English. I dont speak/understand Spanish.. Should i accept the children inspite of the language barriers? should i specifically make a curriculum (english/spanish) for them alone?

Appreciate any thoughts/advice.

Thank you.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2009
  3. tracykaliski

tracykaliski Connoisseur

Mar 18, 2009

I think that unless the parents are willing to help their child learn English it will be very very difficult with a small group like that. If there would be more children, there would be more language happening around the non-English speaking children and they would pick it up much easier. With only 5 kids (plus yours but I don't know how many you have) the language will be limited.

I would suggest that the parents do something to help the children learn a bit of English first....at least things like bathroom, hungry, hurt, etc. so that their basic needs can be met. Otherwise, it'll be a very rough way to go.

If these children were going into a typical Montessori classroom with 24 children, it wouldn't be as difficult, IMO because there would be much more language being spoken in the space and the children would pick things up more quickly.