The one thing you know you need to do better...

Discussion in 'General Education' started by mrsammieb, Jul 9, 2016.

1. mrsammieb

mrsammieb Devotee

Jul 9, 2016

For me, it is transitioning. I am NOT good at moving from one subject to the next without a little crazy town in the middle. I feel like I have good lessons and good behavior management, but moving from one point to the next is where I ALWAYS have sorta sucked. I know they are not little robots that can put word work away and begin reading without a little hiccup. But I wish I could be better. Do you have one area you know you need to better at?

3. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Enthusiast

Jul 9, 2016

Last edited: Feb 4, 2019
    mrsammieb likes this.
  4. mathmagic

mathmagic Enthusiast

Jul 9, 2016

Just one? That's just cruel :p There's tons I could mention!

One area is making sure I walk in the students' footsteps with most of what I ask them to do. That means modeling writing, trying out activities/assignments myself, testing out a new way of going about independent reading work (I'm doing a journal over the summer much like I'll ask them to do, to work out any kinks and make sure I think it'll be worthwhile). They buy in more when they see that, and I'm able to identify areas I'll need to focus more on or that might not be clear.

mrsammieb likes this.
  5. phillyteacher

phillyteacher Comrade

Jul 9, 2016

Keeping up with grading for sure.

ready2learn and mathmagic like this.
  6. K-5_teacherguy

K-5_teacherguy Companion

Jul 9, 2016

It may seem minor, but I need to improve my end of day routine. I got complimented several times in my first year on my classroom management, but those people were clearly never around at the very end of the day! I won't say it was chaos, but it was close.

Definitely something I'll be changing up in year 2!

MsZzz, otterpop and mrsammieb like this.
  7. teacherquestions

teacherquestions Rookie

Jul 9, 2016

Managing my time and not going crazy! Im only a second year teacher, so i guess that's why, but i get super anxious about lesson planning and not having enough stuff planned/not having enough quality stuff planned.

8. callmebob

callmebob Enthusiast

Jul 10, 2016

Grading and returning papers in a timely manner. Always been my weakness.

ready2learn likes this.
  9. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Jul 11, 2016

I really need to step up my contact with parents / guardians. My first couple of years teaching, the majority of students were their own guardians. The switch to 9th grade changed this, but I'm still awkward forging a relationship with some parents.

10. mckbearcat48

mckbearcat48 Cohort

Jul 11, 2016

I need to remember how positive I was about things when I got into the program. The job search has been difficult, and I haven't handled it as well as I should have.

11. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jul 11, 2016

This is something I also need to do a better job of. I hate phone calls with a passion, and would do almost anything to avoid them, but need to make more of an effort to step out of my comfort zone. I'm going to set the goal this year to connect personally with the parents of every student--either at our Meet the Teacher Night or with a phone call--before the end of September.

12. otterpop

otterpop Phenom

Jul 11, 2016

I suck at organization. Although I have gotten much better, and try to make rules for myself like "don't put anything down unless it's actually where it goes", my classroom and desk still get messy. I might be going around the room stamping papers, for example, and someone needs help, so I set the stamp down on a desk and then can't find it a minute later.

Good question!

K-5_teacherguy likes this.
  13. Srhhwtt

Srhhwtt Rookie

Jul 11, 2016

Confidence. Especially being a first year teacher in a new school. Throughout my student teaching and field experience, being observed has been my struggle. I get so nervous and go into panic mode. I loose focus of what I'm teaching and my mind goes blank at times..I'm just a mess. I need to remain calm and confident in my teaching abilities.

MsZzz likes this.
  14. mckbearcat48

mckbearcat48 Cohort

Jul 11, 2016

Someone believed in you...you'll do great things!

MsZzz and Srhhwtt like this.
  15. jw12

jw12 Rookie

Jul 11, 2016

Bell-to-bell teaching! It gets to be the last 2-3 minutes of a class period and I'm out of ideas! I've gotten better, using exit slips and the like to "use-up" time, but I'd still like to improve.

16. jw12

jw12 Rookie

Jul 11, 2016

I have parents write down their email address at our Open House night, and a lot of parents already have email addresses on record in the office. I HATE phone calls. No, really. I HATE THEM!! Email is WAY better, and I've found that I actually get more responses from email than from calling home. Parents see "XXX High School" on the caller ID and they get a little scared!

17. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jul 11, 2016

I collect email addresses as well, and during the year it is my go-to method of routine communication. There are times, however, when a phone call is more appropriate and I want to be sure to have the positive, personal connection before I need to call with concerns.

18. otterpop

otterpop Phenom

Jul 11, 2016

At the start of the year, I try to have positive interactions with every parent. I also notice the students who might struggle with behavior or academics, and make a little extra effort to get to know those parents. It goes a long way.

I've thought about making a few weekly phone calls, so that eventually I'd get to talk to each parent a few times during the year. We departmentalize, though, so it would be a lot of phone calls, and I've decided against it (why make more work for myself if it's not a requirement). I definitely see the value though.

19. K-5_teacherguy

K-5_teacherguy Companion

Jul 11, 2016

Haha this made me laugh, because I literally do that all the time, and then I get confused and will be looking all over for it. Definitely something I can improve also!

20. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Jul 12, 2016

I am with otter pop - organization!

I can always find what I need, but it sure wouldn't look like that to someone walking in my room. Plus, we are getting a new principal this year and I just think it will look better.

21. otterpop

otterpop Phenom

Jul 12, 2016

I also have students help me whenever possible. They get super excited about organizing a marker drawer or bookshelf. :)

Pashtun likes this.
  22. mathmagic

mathmagic Enthusiast

Jul 12, 2016

The wonders of what excites kids. And I knew it when I was that age, because I was already giving stickers or a penny to my sisters as prizes, and they were over the moon :p The best thing about having kids organize, in addition to them enjoying doing it (and it saving you the work that unfortunately no longer is as fun now that we're adults...ha), is that they gain ownership of their classroom even more, which leads to them buying into everything that much more!

otterpop likes this.
  23. Pashtun

Pashtun Fanatic

Jul 12, 2016

I could not agree more. It DIRECTLY leads to increased learning and achievement in all areas.

mathmagic likes this.
  24. mathmagic

mathmagic Enthusiast

Jul 12, 2016

Sometimes I feel lazy for not doing some of the organizational things, or not deciding on how particular things will go in the classroom (i.e. our class rules, decorations, etc...), but I think the vast difference in how connected the class and I were last year compared to my first year stemmed directly from how much of the classroom they worked together, with me as a guide, to set up - both physical organization and how it ran.

otterpop and Evergreen like this.
  25. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jul 13, 2016

I didn't do too badly on grading this past year, but I'm changing content areas so it's still a goal for this next year. I want to check journals and responses very often. Sometimes, that gets hard to do.