The "Nice" teacher

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by Peregrin5, Aug 30, 2012.

1. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Sep 2, 2012

I tried that last year with my "problem" class and it completely backfired on me. I may not have implemented it correctly, but they used that as a gathering point to rebel against me for being unfair.

2. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Sep 2, 2012

You know what. I'm trying an experiment this year that involves several factors. First is a complete organization system. This way they don't have an excuse for losing or not completing work.

Secondly, I'm simply giving them extremely high expectations of things to learn. For instance, very few science classes in 8th grade have to evaluate sources, engage in philosophical discussion, or design experiments and carry them out on their own with good documentation and presentation.

I'm making them do these things, and scaffolding up to them as needed and they will probably think this is just what all 8th graders do. So basically I'm working with high expectations. Those who decide that they don't want to meet further challenges may fall to a point that is still more advanced than most other 8th graders. =]

3. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Sep 2, 2012

I've seen this happening. Not so much to the point of rebellion, but they definitely get an attitude when I do it. I don't really like doing this myself, because I think the students see it that they got to me and now I'm having an attitude. I shouldn't care what they think at this point, but I just feel that it makes things a little worse.
    Maybe I implemented it the wrong way, too :(

4. EdEd

EdEd Aficionado

Sep 2, 2012

That makes sense - I think you understand what you're supposed to do, you're just trying to figure out the best way to do it :). It is definitely a tough balance, even if you know that the balance needs to exist.

5. EdEd

EdEd Aficionado

Sep 2, 2012

That's a very interesting observation. There's definitely a trend to box things into artificial and extreme categories for the sake of learning and understanding, and that definitely comes from teacher prep programs too. It would be interesting to see how different teachers from different programs differed in their construction of "nice vs. mean."

6. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Sep 3, 2012

I'm wondering if threatening to bring in Miss Viola Swamp as a substitute would get the point across to students who think nice = pushover. For those who don't know the story, watch this.

7. HistTchr

HistTchr Habitué

Sep 3, 2012

I remember that book from when I was in elementary school!