The next new thing for me: Data Meeting

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Pi-R-Squared, Aug 22, 2022.

1. Pi-R-Squared

Pi-R-Squared Connoisseur

Aug 22, 2022

The P will be meeting the math teachers soon to discuss “data.” First time I’ve actually been called to a “data meeting” in my teaching career! I don’t know what to bring…. My math classes have all taken their first test and most of them bombed…. So bad that I’ll have to add points just to make them “look good.” But that’ll be suspicious! So what goes on during “data meetings?”

3. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Aug 23, 2022

There are so many possible answers here. You need to talk with someone in your building, or at least your district, to find out how data meetings work there.

a2z likes this.
  4. a2z

a2z Virtuoso

Aug 23, 2022

Sorry they did so poorly. I know you are joking about really adding points.

Hopefully, they will just look at the results across all classes and determine where the deficits are and the best way to approach the student deficits while continuing to challenge those who are on par or ahead.

A good data meeting will tease out the results of the test and make a plan. Hopefully they will also use the data to determine what was lacking in prior years and address it if the students are not in the initial grade for the school.

But as Missy said, you really need to find out how your school or district does it and even then, if it isn't being done by someone who has run the meetings or had the meetings before in your school, who knows. Someone might have just thought it was a good idea and is making it up as they go.

Let us know how it goes!

5. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Aug 23, 2022

A bombed test is an excellent source for data mining! It will let you know what needs to be taught in a different way so that another assessment would show growth.

Trust me when I say I once HATED data meetings but now I run them.

miss-m likes this.
  6. Pi-R-Squared

Pi-R-Squared Connoisseur

Aug 24, 2022

P called me into a meeting and said my students have to log into something called I-Station to take reading and math assessments. He said he will discuss the math results with the math team.... The ELA teachers will have their own data meetings and the elementary teachers will assess also. Knowing this, it seems familiar to when my former students from long ago took beginning, middle, and end-of-year tests using Scantron Performance Series. But this time, admin will actually discuss the data.... There is also a new face in the building and I found out she's a K-5 math coach so maybe she might be involved in the data discussions also.

miss-m likes this.
  7. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Aug 24, 2022

It honestly sounds like your new administration policies are geared, now, to find out why your students bombed a test. It is a good thing, but may not seem like that in the beginning, because it is new and scary. There are feelings of doubt when you get test results like you are discussing, and you realize that you had all this teaching time before the test, but somehow the students show little gained knowledge. Here's hoping the actual "discuss the data" appointment won't be too scary. :thumbs::thumbs:

a2z likes this.
  8. miss-m

miss-m Groupie

Aug 30, 2022

iStation isn’t my personal favorite intervention/remediation app, but it does provide a TON of actionable data.

I agree with other comments that data meetings are a great thing. Teachers are generally really good at knowing what their students can and can’t do, but having a solid understanding of data and being able to find concrete gaps in understanding makes your instruction that much more effective.

My first school was super data-oriented and working on being more proactive with data. My school last year felt the opposite; many of the teachers seemed completely disconnected from their progress monitoring and intervention data, so the intervention groups we were given as aides had skills to work on that they didn’t always need. It ended up being less effective than it could have been because no one really KNEW what their kids needed to practice.

Data is just information: it’s not personal, it’s (usually) not an indication that you’re doing something wrong per se, just that there may be areas to shift.

9. Pi-R-Squared

Pi-R-Squared Connoisseur

Aug 31, 2022

So here is what happened with the "discuss the data" meeting.... Not much besides telling us that the 7th and 8th grade math standardized tests were atrocious.... Not many greens, too many yellows, and way too many reds....And also that the ACT scores of our seniors were very poor.... In the meeting, one of the teachers countered that a lot of students just do not care.... The ACT takers just bubble in C after C after C and the younger ones just click answers and submit.... Granted, it's hard to do well when you don't know what subject matter but these grades are just very weak.... talked to the math teacher who had my 8th graders last year..... She hated them.... that's what she told me..... I have them this year... I understand why she said that..... ;)

10. creativemonster

creativemonster Cohort

Sep 4, 2022

Wait, she hated the tests? Or the students? That's some seriously strong language which tells me more about her stress levels, than the actual room full of students. Unless she is talking about the tests. ...in which case I am right there with her! we need to be able to assess our students in a way that actually helps us to help them move forward. telling us their test scores are well below where they "need" to be does nothing. We know this. Now what? And how might we help them to not give up?

11. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Sep 6, 2022

I'm betting that teacher was referring to the students. If the students are failing and you aren't making it better, then it is easier for some teachers to just blame the students instead of finding new ways to reach those in need.

12. Pi-R-Squared

Pi-R-Squared Connoisseur

Sep 8, 2022

She said she hated the students. And for reference, I asked her if their previous math teacher in the lower grades had success with them. Their 6th grade math teacher has major problems with them. Discipline was the main issue. SPED teacher said the class contained a "bunch of turds." In 6th grade, they were very weak with basic skills / operations and fractions. Last year, they struggled mightily with mixed sign integers and operations and fractions.... I have them this year and the same is true.... But, the silver lining is that the same 5 students who excelled in 6th and 7th grade are doing well in 8th.... So I go back to the mantra that I learned from a veteran teacher in my rookie year (2013). Given 15 students in a regular class, there will be 3 groups of 5. The top 5 will get it no matter what I do. The bottom 5 will never get it no matter what I do. It's the middle 5 that I need to get into the top group. ;)

13. murrayjestin

murrayjestin Rookie

Sep 17, 2022

It will let you know what needs to be taught in a different way so that another assessment would show growth.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2022