The New Student

Discussion in 'Third Grade' started by dunwool, Jan 21, 2010.

1. dunwool

dunwool Rookie

Jan 21, 2010

I just got a new student this week and the vast majority of the time he is gawking at other things in the room or fidgeting around in his desk. Then, when I give him instructions he is vocally irritated and insists that I did NOT give any instructions even though the rest of the class has already completed the tasks I asked. :huh: Do you have any strategies or ideas of what could help? He is socially okay with recess situations but in academic and classroom situations he rarely participates unless he is bragging about how much he already knows relative to the rest of the class. I am the only third grade teacher so I could use some advice! :unsure: Thank you!

3. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jan 21, 2010

I'd give him a couple of weeks to settle in. It's hard being the "new kid"--there's so much to take in all at once. The bragging could be his way of carving out a place for himself; by being "smarter" than everyone else, he is automatically (in his eyes) elevated. If things haven't improved after his being with you for a couple of weeks, I would call parents in to discuss how he was academically at his previous school and what you are seeing now.

4. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Jan 21, 2010

If the fidgeting in his desk doesn't improve, could you turn it around? I have a few students with ADHD who have benefitted from that.

ETA: I agree--give him a while to settle in, though.

5. ecl

ecl Rookie

Jan 21, 2010

When you say he is "vocally irritated", it sounds as though you mean he is talking back to you. Don't allow it. Allowing it now will only open the door to escalation. Don't treat him with kid gloves because he is new. Expect him to follow the rules of the class, and if he doesn't, give him immediate consequences.

On the other hand, he sounds very insecure. So build him up. Focus on what he is doing right. Identify his strengths and build on them. Do some team building activities with the class that will allow him to feel part of the community. Good luck.

6. cateste

cateste Companion

Jan 28, 2010

Talk with the parents now, don't wait. If they had the same problem at his old school they may know what worked there, if anything. Find out what school he attended and call the old teacher, rather than wait for transcripts.

7. tgim

tgim Habitué

Feb 3, 2010

I know I have said it before: start w/ a vision and hearing screening to rule out issues in those areas. That said - I agree with checking in w/ parents and former teacher NOW.

8. ZookeeperVA

ZookeeperVA Rookie

Feb 5, 2010

I have had students that fidget too much and I give them what I call "a fidget" which is usually a piece of stick on velcro (hook side or soft side) to stick under their desk. I tell them that when they feel fidgety they can "feel" the velcro and no one will even know they are doing it, but it can calm them down and "anchor" them there so they can pay attention. Sometimes I even give them both sides to stick on so they can feel either the soft side or the scratchy side. It really works!

9. tgim

tgim Habitué

Feb 5, 2010

Cool - I am going to try it!