The Natalee Holloway Story on LMN

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Ms. I, Apr 4, 2009.

1. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Apr 4, 2009

The Natalee Hollway Story is finally coming to the Lifetime Movie Network channel on April 19th at 8pm PT.

I especially want to see it because the actress playing her mother is Tracy Pollan, who's Michael J. Fox's (real) wife. The actor who plays her stepfather is Grant Show, who was Jake Hanson on Melrose Place (my favorite show of all time).

http://www.mylifetime.com/on-tv/movies/natalee-holloway

3. McKennaL

McKennaL Groupie

Apr 4, 2009

My ex and I (when we weren't exs) stopped in Aruba on a cruise. Since Carlos and Charlie's is the last restuarant before getting back to the ship-we stopped there.

It was a relatively SLOW night there...and it was rockin'. Defintely NOT my sort of place...more like MTV Spring Break/Girls Gone Wild. There were videos of girls dancing on the table and "up shots" (shots taken of the girls from down below... you get the picture.) Pretty disgusting actually.

A few months later this story came out (THAT Carlos and Charlie's was the last place she was seen.) and though it's SO sad... hearing Carlos and Charlies was involved..I wasn't totally surprised. I know how this is playing out (that she left with locals - and trouble insued). But it could have been JUST AS UNDERSTANDABLE that she was kidnapped and taken (human trafficing) to a boat that was RIGHT around the corner on the pier...less than 10 steps away from the front door of the place.

I am SO worried about spring break/graduation trip scenarios. I have hardly heard a good story about them.

(Thank God my daughter never had interest in them...and my son? He is ALWAYS in my prayers.)

4. MrsTeacher2Be

MrsTeacher2Be Companion

Apr 4, 2009

I know Natalee's father. My mother used to work with him, and every time I went to her office I would see and speak to him. We're not super close, but we're friendly acquaintances. It'll probably be a good movie, but every time I hear or see anything about Natalee's disappearance, I can't help but cry for Dave. I doubt I'll be able to watch it.

5. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Apr 4, 2009

Yes, it's hard when you actually know the victim's relative(s). But it would be interesting for you to see how the tv movie differs from the real story. But, then, I don't know if her real dad ever talked to you about their ordeal.

6. McKennaL

McKennaL Groupie

Apr 4, 2009

I just spent (TOO LONG) watching an investigation show from the Netherlands, on you tube. These were the investigators that caught Joran and have a full confession from him. He discloses (to another low-life- who he believes is a friend) EVERYTHING. How she died (or...well..), what happened then... and not a SPECK of remorse. In fact, he says he has never lost a night's sleep over it. Not even the first night.

Unbelievable!

7. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Apr 26, 2009

So, who wathed & do you think it was well done? I recorded it on my DVR, but haven't watched it yet.

8. McKennaL

McKennaL Groupie

Apr 26, 2009

Darn... I missed it. SO I can't comment on the movie.. but that link tothe Dutch investigator's 20/20-like show is incredible.

Will they be re-showing the movie?

9. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Apr 26, 2009

Lifetime always reruns it, it may be wks from now though, so check their site to find out.

10. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Apr 26, 2009

The mom in me simply can't watch a story about a child lost and presumably killed.

11. uclalum

uclalum Groupie

Apr 26, 2009

I watched it. It was pretty good, but so sad. I couldn't believe my ears when I heard Joran confessing everything. I don't understand why they couldn't convict him after that confession.:eek:hmy:

12. becky

becky Enthusiast

Apr 26, 2009

I watched it and wondered if she really drank and acted like the movie portrayed her. She seemed so sensible, in pictures anyway.

13. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Apr 26, 2009

I think even sensible girls can act that way sometimes and her friends told that part of the story to her mother. The whole story is heartbreaking and the fact that the video confession is all she has to go by for what happened and the fact that there isn't a conviction/jail time must be hard to deal with.

14. becky

becky Enthusiast

Apr 26, 2009

Honestly- I wouldn't have. I was one of those that never drank, smoked, or any of that. Had I kept my legs crossed at 16, I'd have probably been a virgin when I got married. For me, it was scary to think of being unable to control myself because of booze or drugs. I never understood what the thrill was.

15. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Apr 26, 2009

OK, I watched it. There were a lot of flashbacks throughout. I still don't understand how no one was convicted to this date either.

16. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Apr 28, 2009

I watched it and it underscored the several mistakes that were made by all involved.

1) her dad did not think she should go on the trip, but her mom wanted her to have what her friends - richer - could have. (Poor mom has to live with that every day!)

2) NO CHAPERONNES AND NO NIGHTLY BED CHECK! 18 year olds away for the first time, with an 18 year old drinking age, and no adults watching out for them???

3) her friends did not make up for the rotten adult supervision and make sure each other was ok - one friend tried, but Natalie was already in the car

4) never take a drink from a stranger, or pick up a drink you didn't order. The movie showed Joran slipping something into her drink.

5) NEVER get in a car with 3 guys!

6) never get in a car with anyone you don't know well, and always use the buddy system

It is just horrible. Natalie's mom divorced her 2nd husband. She now travels giving speeches to h.s. and college students about safety in foreign travel. I thought she had a great point - always plan ahead how you will all get home, and stick to the plan no matter what. Think of the girls disappearing in college towns when they stay later than their friends and intend to get home on their own later!

Very sad. Heartbreaking. I don't know how the family has been able to go on. I could say more, but I don't want it recorded for infamy on my hard drive. I think you all know what I mean.

17. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Apr 28, 2009

especially as a mother of a college student - I hardly ever watch anything on Lifetime for this very reason. :(

18. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Apr 28, 2009

Its on the Lifetime Movie Network again...this is the second time I've watched it. The whole story just kills me...its so sad. I can't help but wonder if thats really what happened to her (but with Joran's confession I assume so). And I wonder how the mother was able to feel like that was enough closure (or maybe it was just because the movie needed an ending?).

It just makes me so sad...I can't imagine what the family has been through.

19. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Apr 28, 2009

I watched it in full today; and made a copy for my daughter who asked if I would. :)

Just in case anyone hasn't heard...Joran has come up with another story...he says that he was paid to have a blonde girl sold to ??? and he says that he met that person on the beach and Natalee was transported elsewhere - human slavery.
    just the thought of it all makes me really sick; that poor family; your heart just goes out to them.

Like her mom said...Natalee was a very smart girl, but she made some bad choices; namely leaving with someone she didn't know.

:( It's just a horrible nightmare that they have endured.

20. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Apr 29, 2009

Natalie surely was a smart girl. Really she made one bad choice, and I think she was drugged, because according to her friends she never would have gotten into a car with guys she didn't know.

The whole thing makes me sick and I will never go to Aruba. Of course this stuff happens all the time in tourist destinations but we don't hear about it so much. DD wants to do a semester abroad in S. America. Hello? Her dad is adamant that she not go at this time, wait till she is a little more world savvy. Brought up in an isolated small town, she is pretty smart about people. But when you travel in foreign countries things can get sticky sometimes. And the laws in those countries - Americans just can't expect decent law and rights except in a few places, such as Britain, Scandinavia, hmmm, maybe a couple European countries, Australia and New Zealand?