The Movie: PRECIOUS

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by McKennaL, Nov 28, 2009.

1. McKennaL

McKennaL Groupie

Nov 28, 2009

GO SEE THIS GREAT FILM!!!!!!!!

3. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Nov 28, 2009

is it really that good?! I've seen the previews and it just doesn't entice me...what's it all about? I know Oprah has endorsed the book.

4. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Nov 29, 2009

I'll probably see it when it comes out on DVD, like most other movies.

5. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Nov 29, 2009

I also really liked it! That actress is incredible, I can't believe this is the first things she's ever done. And I really applaud Mariah Carey for donning a wig and wearing no make-up-she's almost unrecognizable, but it really fits the part. Sadly, I think it's a pretty realistic story.

6. McKennaL

McKennaL Groupie

Nov 29, 2009

This is a story of a young abused girl. It's a story that is about the terrible mistreatment of children, finding hope for the hopeless, the unsung heros who work in the trenches bringing these kids back from the brink (teachers, social workers). It's about the story that lies BEHIND the people you don't want to look at on the streets.

The performances....are OUTSTANDING. The girl who plays Precious is nothing short of incredible. And other than acting as a pirate/indian in a college production of Peter pan...she has never acted before. Mo'Nique and Mariah Carey - as mentioned above ...are unrecognizable... and BRILLIANT. The woman who plays the teacher is great!

It IS sad. It's also joyful. It's scary. It's thought-provoking. And if it doesn't get nominated for an Oscar (actually a whole heep of Oscar nominations!) I will be flabergasted!!

My daughter is a very tough movie critic...and SHE loved it.

YES, it's that good!

7. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Nov 29, 2009

wow; it sounds like a remarkable movie. Knowing me...I'll probably wait until it comes out on DVD.
    Thanks for the review, McKennal. :)