The Movie Orphan

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Ms. I, Jul 26, 2009.

1. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jul 26, 2009

If you guys haven't seen this or weren't planning to, you should! I love movies like this & the end has a twist you would have never guessed! All I'll say is, it's similar to the movie The Good Son, but better.

3. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jul 26, 2009

I've thought about seeing it, but I'm not really into scary movies, especially since we're looking to adopt!

4. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jul 26, 2009

Oh wow, adoption huh?! Then, if I were you, I'd be all the more wanting to see a movie like this. It will make you think about things (although the twist at the end is highly unlikey to happen in real life...hopefully! :unsure:). :)

5. Kat53

Kat53 Devotee

Jul 26, 2009

This movie has not been received well in the adoption community for reinforcing stereotypes about adoption. Haven't seen the movie or know what it's about, I've just read that.

I don't plan on seeing the movie but I'm going to do a google search for the ending because now I want to know what happens.

6. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jul 26, 2009

Yes, I noticed an article stating that too. But, then for that matter, there's tons of movies out there that people can raise a stink about.

7. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Jul 26, 2009

I actually know some people really well who were protesting it. One big reason is that the little girl used to say in the previews something like, "I guess you can't love an adopted child as much as your own." They took it out of the previews after complaints were made.

8. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jul 26, 2009

Well, if I recall, that quote's still said in the movie.

I know people & organizations are passionate about how they feel, but many others just want to watch movies because they like that genre & it's interesting. I just personally love, love, love movies like this whether adoption's the main theme or not. :)

9. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Jul 26, 2009

As someone who sees adoption as the only way I'd consider becoming a parent, when I saw the previews to this movie I thought of the reaction of the adoption community is having.

10. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Jul 26, 2009

What a strange idea.

And before you date you should watch "The Ugly Truth"
    And before your guy goes to Vegas you should watch "The Hangover"
    And before you buy a house you should watch "The Money Pit"
    And before you ...

11. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jul 26, 2009

Well, I'm a unique individual! ;) I guess people have a lot of movies to watch! No, but seriously, w/ this poarticular movie (Orphan), where the topic is more on the serious side, I was just thinking that it could give someone something to think about if they're considering adopting in their own life.

12. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Jul 26, 2009

I love scary movies. I might even persuade my husband go take me but he is very picky about movies and it has to be really scary or he won't go! I guess it is like any other controversial topic. If you don't like how they portray things then don't go see it.

13. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jul 26, 2009

Actually ku alum, you've made me think, people read books for example to learn more & gain more insight on various topics & ideologies, so if they have the time to watch movies, it could give them the same kind of insight, knowledge, info, different point of view that they may not have even thought about. So I guess in a sense, you're right!

But realistically, no one has time to watch every movie made, just like no one can read every book. :)

14. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Jul 26, 2009

I am someone who would consider adoption but I don't think a movie could make me go one way or the other.

15. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Jul 26, 2009

Oh, me neither.

16. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jul 26, 2009

I agree. I mean people can protest & take every movie seriously OR they can choose to say, hey, it's just a movie which is a type of entertainment (although they can gain some kind of insight). The statement alone that FarFromHome said (below in quotes) I don't think is cause for a protest. Many people feel that way, so they shouldn't adopt if they have their own kids as well & don't think they can share their love equally. But I realize that the main reason for protest is that orphanages, etc. think that the movie gives older kids who want to be adopted a bad name OR viewed in a bad light.

"I guess you can't love an adopted child as much as your own."

17. Kat53

Kat53 Devotee

Jul 26, 2009

I read the movie ending and it sounds CREEPY!

18. futureteach21

futureteach21 Habitué

Jul 26, 2009

Kat- I won't go see it but where can I read ending?

19. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jul 26, 2009

Scary movies give me nightmares for days, which I have often anyhow, so I doubt I'll see this...I'll have to look up a summary and ending out of curiosity.

The only way we'll have children is if we adopt, and there is no way a fictional movie created for entertainment would persuade me not to. That would be about as likely as a murder mystery compelling me to kill someone. :huh:

Off Topic: One movie I really wanted to see was The Strangers, but one of my friends said he was pretty sure I'd never sleep again and seriously urged me not to...so I had to pass on it. Darn dreams!

20. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jul 26, 2009

Just read the full summary including the ending...sounds like a dumb movie so thankfully I'm not missing out.

No offense intended of course...we all have different tastes. :)

21. scienceteach82

scienceteach82 Cohort

Jul 26, 2009

well...thankfully...this kind of thing would never happen

22. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Jul 26, 2009

hehe; I'm the same way, Kat. I'm not into scary movies, and now I want to know the ending to this one...they are forever showing the commercials! ugh.
    If you find a link to the ending, please post. :D

23. scienceteach82

scienceteach82 Cohort

Jul 26, 2009

24. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Jul 26, 2009

LOL, Thanks ScienceTeach...boy, that's one weird ending! hehehe

25. scienceteach82

scienceteach82 Cohort

Jul 26, 2009

very...and so not possible ;)

26. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Jul 26, 2009

I don't knoooooooow. :woot:

27. scienceteach82

scienceteach82 Cohort

Jul 26, 2009

lol!! wouldn't that be crazy?!

28. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Jul 26, 2009

yes! :D

29. futureteach21

futureteach21 Habitué

Jul 26, 2009

Hmm. After reading that, I'm glad I'm skipping it.
    haha definitely not my kind of movie. I admire people who can watch those movies without nightmares!

30. Superteacher81

Superteacher81 Comrade

Jul 26, 2009

Ok, well I am not going to read the ending, cause I do want to see that movie! Just heard about it today!

31. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jul 26, 2009

Don't think I'll be seeing it after all.

32. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Jul 26, 2009

I believe the reason they were protesting that quote is because they don't want their adopted children to feel like they're not as loved, NOT because they actually don't love them as much. Some adopted kids might have never thought of that, but when they hear it they'll wonder if their parents love them as much as they would another child. That is what my friend was upset about.

33. blindteacher

blindteacher Cohort

Jul 27, 2009

I don't feel like going into a movie only to be offended. I opted out of watching Blindness so I might just opt out of this one too. :unsure:

Not to mention I'm not into scary movies.

34. JustT

JustT Comrade

Jul 27, 2009

I saw this movie yesterday and I was a bit disappointed. It's more of a psycho drama than a horror movie.

At the end of the movie I was taken aback wondering "why did I go and see this movie" because the gist of it made me think its about "killer ______ who had a history of ruining things and is affectionate to her daddy" :confused: (trying not to spoil it but if you seen it you might know what I'm talking about)

The Ugly Truth....... now that was just hillarious! :D

35. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jul 27, 2009

Yes, this is definitely understandable as well.

36. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Jul 27, 2009

JustMe- I am a horror movie connoisseur and I thought that movie (The Strangers) was really scary and it was based on a true story, so yeah, I wouldn't recommend it for you.

I cannot believe people are protesting the "Orphan". This isn't the first scary movie where an adopted child turns out to be a little psycho. Sometimes when people protest movies it makes more people actually line up to go see them. I think effective scary movies take something that people fear (and I've known several people who wanted to adopt but were afraid of not knowing what lineage the child had and what they might grow into) and make it bigger and more suspenseful.

I do think it's naive to think an adopted child who knows they are adopted would not question whether or not their parents loved them from time to time until they saw a movie commercial. Kids do that anyway with their natural-born parents when they ground them, or when a sibling is getting more attention, etc. But that's just my opinion.

37. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jul 27, 2009

KinderCowgirl, you're in good company, I LOVE horror & suspense movies too. There are quite a few similarities between Orphan & The Good Son w/ Macaulay Culkin, except there, it was the real son. This movie's definitely a cross between that & the Bad Seed, & Joshua (which coincidentally theactress who plays the mother of that child is the mother in Orphan), but Orphan's more intense than all of them.

I agree 100%. I mean I understand what FarFromHome was trying to say, but I agree moreso that kids w/ siblings & adopted kids will naturally & obviously think this anyway & they don't need to watch a movie to suddenly come to this revelation.

38. blindteacher

blindteacher Cohort

Jul 27, 2009

Just to play Devil's Advocate, the fact this isn't the first movie wouldn't make the theme any less offensive to protestors. If anything, it would be more offensive to them since it was allowed to happen again, especially if they protested past movies.

39. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jul 27, 2009

I'd probably never buy the DVD of this movie...(thinking to myself, would I?!) :D

40. Writer's Block

Writer's Block Companion

Jul 28, 2009

I don't think the controversy lies in the story line itself, but the controversy is in what the tagline/promotional line originally stated about not being able to love an adopted child.

There are plenty of movies where the "newcomer" into the family is not good (The Omen???), but it was the tagline they used for the ads for the movie that got people upset.

41. blindteacher

blindteacher Cohort

Jul 28, 2009

Sometimes it's also the underlying premise of the movie that is cause for offense. In October 2008 the movie Blindness got a lot of protests. The protestors were offended by the idea that if people were to be suddenly blinded, their sense of self-hygiene and morality would vanish. (You can research this more on your own if you want to know the details -- they're extremely graphic.)

I'm not sure what the underlying premise of the movie Orphan is, but it might be worth looking into, to see if the protestors are offended by a single tag line or by more than just that.

Another thing to take into consideration is that almost every movie will offend someone, especially if there is much room left for interpretation (and therefore assumption) in the trailer.