The Mountains and Valleys of Teaching

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Doug_HSTeach_07, Nov 10, 2008.

1. Doug_HSTeach_07

Doug_HSTeach_07 Comrade

Nov 10, 2008

Does anyone else feel like teaching is one big rollercoaster ride? Up until today, the school year has been an absolute joy with very little challenges. Sure, I was working a lot outside of school but it kept me busy.

Now today, the brakes hit pretty hard. A couple of the kids' attitudes flared up, and these are usually very good kids. I don't know if it was a fluke but it definitely put a damper on the day. I just didn't have "it" today. I wasn't my usual self and I have to be honest, I am starting to get a little tired.

Does this sound like you, where you need a shot in the arm sometimes?

3. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Nov 10, 2008

I think we all feel like that once in a while. Teacher/author Doug Fisher told my reading institute group that if you've got "it" three days a week, you're doing really well - not every day is going to be a home run. I felt better after hearing that!

4. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Nov 11, 2008

Those valleys are what make the mountains so great!!

Hang in there!

5. ELA 11 12

ELA 11 12 Companion

Nov 11, 2008

Absolutely, Doug HSTeach 07. I am not sure how daylight changes in your area, but it gets dark here at 5pm...and soon it will be 4pm.

Both the students and I respond to that.

However, I do appreciate the "check yourself before you wreck yourself" moments in my career. Too often I find myself getting smug or even cocky about my effectiveness and then BAM! Wake-up call.

It's like waking up to a beautiful day, taking a planned road trip, finding no traffic, putting the car on speed control, chilling to some great music, checking out the scenery through freshly cleaned sunglasses and hitting the rumble strips on the shoulder of the highway. No need to over-correct, just get the car back on the road and enjoy the ride.

6. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Nov 11, 2008

I love the way you look at things.

Sounds kinda like me, except as a first-year, I hit the potholes, which veer me off uncontrollable into the ditches on the side of the road.

7. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

Nov 11, 2008

It sounds EXACTLY like me Doug...

8. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Nov 11, 2008

I felt that way this weekend, too! I'm usually so motivated and full of ideas. This weekend? Nothing. I couldn't even muster up the motivation to work on plans for my own school. I felt so lost. Luckily, it was starting to come by last night, and right now, I feel it again. I had to just acknowledge that's how I felt at the moment, and that I would come out of it eventually. It's a crummy feeling, though.

9. Doug_HSTeach_07

Doug_HSTeach_07 Comrade

Nov 11, 2008

Completely agreed; that is exactly how I felt as well. Once you're "on," it's a thing of beauty again.