The most frustrating job in the world.

Discussion in 'Substitute Teachers' started by CrayolaCrayon, Feb 10, 2012.

1. CrayolaCrayon

CrayolaCrayon Companion

Feb 10, 2012

Hi, my name is CrayolaCrayon and I'm a sub. Let's vent!

I am new to substitute teaching and so far, I love it. When I'm working, that is. On other days, I wake up and sit, waiting for the phone to ring. I know this is typical but I'm beginning to get so frustrated.

When my phone does ring, sometimes the system wants to send me to a school that is impossible to get to on time (especially if I'm unfamiliar with that area). Or, I get calls on a day when I already have another assignment. Where are those calls when I'm doing nothing?!

Then there's the fact that I feel as though I need to have my phone on me 24/7. Apparently, I need to bring it with me when I am in the shower because those few minutes are when I will get a call. Just last night, I missed a call because I went downstairs for a minute and I guess my phone wasn't loud enough.

It is so. darn. frustrating.

Earlier in the week, I handed out my resume to more schools in the area in hopes of getting more direct calls. *fingers crossed* I hope things pick up.

I just want to feel like a "regular" somewhere, you know?

3. TeachingHistory

TeachingHistory Companion

Feb 10, 2012

You'll get there. Sometimes it takes months, sometimes it takes years. It took me a little over a year, and there is one building that I'm at twice a week on average. (which is a lot, this building doesn't use a lot of subs) I love it. I've developed relationships with the students, teachers, custodians, etc. and I actually feel like a "real" teacher so to speak when I'm there. It makes the rest of it worth it.

4. jen12

jen12 Devotee

Feb 10, 2012

I hear you on all counts!

I'm listed with four districts. I've had days where I've been scheduled at one district and will get calls from another two for the same day. Then days with nothing at all.

Also had the calls during shower time, or for the measly hour when I go out for a short run or to a workout. One day I totally gave up and went out for a run. I was four miles out on my running trail at 10am when the phone rang. I just ignored it. It would have taken me about two hours to get back to my car and get home and showered and to school. Sometimes it's just ridiculous and you can't let it get to you. You just accept that you may miss a call or two. You can also check the callout times for your district so you know when it's a good idea to be within hearing distance of the phone.

What I will suggest as to those last minute calls where you wont get there fast enough is that if you want the job, accept it and call the school itself to explain that you just got the call and will be there a bit late. Give them an expected timeframe. They know that teachers call in at the last minute and it can take time for the sub system to call around and find someone. The schools would rather know someone accepted the call and will be a bit late than to let the system go round and round.

5. snapples

snapples Rookie

Feb 10, 2012

I totally know how you feel!!! I am having to upgrade my phone because my current one turns off randomly and I do not want to miss jobs because my phone is off.
    I can also commiserate with the feelings of frustration, I feel so unproductive when I am not working. I always try to find something to do, errands and such, on the days I don't work so I feel busy.
    It's nice to know that others have the same feelings! Sometimes people don't realize the added frustrations that go into subbing.

6. oldstudent

oldstudent Comrade

Feb 22, 2012

It comes with the territory, I have lost thousands of dollars over the last 14 years due to bad luck and bad timing.

A couple years ago, a teacher requested me, but she forgot to dial a "1" in front of my area code. This cost me 125 dollars.

Many years ago, I felt I was in the twilight zone when on three consecutive mornings, I went to pick up the ringing phone, and it continued to ring with the receiver in my hand. I was baffled.

On the 3rd morning, I realized that the receiver latch on the phone was sticking. I never got these three calls, and it cost me 300 dollars. I had to get a new phone.

Another time, the district secretary lost my " return to work" form for the year, so they thought I was not returning for the new year.

I discovered this by accident when I walked in the district office and discovered that a sub meeting was letting out that paid 100 dollars that I lost out on due to the secretaty's error.
    It took a couple weeks to straighten this out and get me in the system again. I probably lost about a thousand dollars due to an employee error, but there was nothing I could do about it.

And that's not the half of it.

7. Oregon Sub Girl

Oregon Sub Girl Rookie

Feb 27, 2012

I can totally understand where you are coming from. It does take a while, so have patience and recognize that your patience will pay off. I would recommend networking as much as possible with other teachers while you are subbing. The more they feel like they know you, the more they will want you in their classroom. I sub at one school 2-3 times a week and I get treated like one of the faculty there. Just prove yourself as a good sub and always been friendly.

In the meantime, I find I get way more jobs online than I do waiting for phone calls. In fact, I don't think that I've ever gotten a phone call from the system in my current district. I don't know if your district as an online system, but that at least something you can do proactively rather than waiting for the phone to ring.

Good luck!

8. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Feb 27, 2012

We have a sub service. We text our principal that we won't be in, he then makes a call to the sub service. If someone calls in late or the service has to call multiple people or whatever, the sub sometimes comes in late.

It happens. Someone covers the class until the sub takes over.

If you want the job & you can't get there on time, tell whomever it is that called you & have them let the school know that you are coming as quickly as you can.

9. Tek

Tek Comrade

Feb 27, 2012

I learned quickly: never leave your phone on vibrate over night. Maximum volume ringer is the only way to go!

10. Nitch

Nitch Rookie

Feb 27, 2012

I only turn my ringer off during work. But we get up early here. It's not an issue. Aesop will start calling at 5:40 if I don't have a job. I hate that as I like to read them not listen to them. I usually hit 2, so it will not call anymore, then go online. I made the mistake of saying I'd take para jobs too, so it will call non - stop. I can't figure out how to change that.

11. HeatherY

HeatherY Habitué

Mar 1, 2012

I feel you! I've subbed in 3 locations and it takes awhile to become a "regular." Give it time, and try showering at night for awhile.

I wrote down all the school phone numbers on a pad and if I got a late call from an automated system I'd quickly call the school and let them know I'd be late. Someone usually goes and sits with the kids until you get there. They'd rather have someone say yes and be 15 minutes late than have to make calls for an hour and have someone an hour late.