The most frustrated part of subbing is

Discussion in 'Substitute Teachers' started by Subber, Mar 19, 2010.

1. Cerek

Cerek Aficionado

Apr 1, 2010

I had a similar situation a couple of weeks ago. I was driving a bus for one school (where I did my student teaching) and heard the principal of another middle school asking one of his bus drivers if a certain person was coming in that day because he needed subs and was "short" by about 3 or 4. On my way home after the bus route, I called the secretary of that school, whom I know personally, and said I was just "touching base" with schools I haven't heard from in a while for sub assignments. She said "Well, if anything comes up, I'll definitely give you a call". I sooo wanted to say "Then you've already found the 4 subs you were needing about 45 minutes ago?"

I'm not sure what's going on with the secretary. We did work together on a different job several years ago and she is friendly towards me, but she is also the kind of person I feel will say one thing to my face and do something entirely different behind my back.

So, I'm thinking I will just bypass her and speak directly with the principal. I subbed at their school several times last year and - to the best of my knowledge - they had no issues with my work or classroom management.

2. Cerek

Cerek Aficionado

Apr 1, 2010

On the issue of subbing with an ST, when I was doing my student teaching, I actually got to serve as the substitute when my CT had to be out. However, my university restricted the number of times I could do this to 4 during my time as the ST. It may have helped that I already had my ST Certification.

If I ever did sub in a class with an ST, I would let the ST teach the class since that is what they are supposed to be doing at this point in the semester.

3. Toak

Toak Cohort

Apr 1, 2010

How about when you are subbing on a party day with a class the homeroom teacher describes as "difficult" and the secretary lets one of the parent volunteers to come to your room an hour early

4. Toak

Toak Cohort

Apr 1, 2010

That's illegal here. ST are not allowed to be alone with the students

When I student taught we had two placements through the semester, and only taught everything for one week (the last) in each placement

5. dsj123

dsj123 Rookie

Apr 1, 2010

Thanks for this reply and the other replies. It feels good to know I'm not the only one who this happens to.

6. Subber

Subber Companion

Apr 4, 2010

Well, students were kids who're looking for excitement. It's exciting for them to get permission to break the rules. That sub is petty and that's all. She/he could have been helpful with the kids that need help in focusing and in fact academically. May be that sub is insecure and so she had to act like that. There are people like that everywhere aincluding among regular teachers. My philosophy is that unless the school has a problem with it. I'd let the ST do the teaching. After all, she is there for that experience. But, the few time I has a ST teacher, we split the teaching and it worked out well.

7. jen12

jen12 Devotee

Apr 4, 2010

On my first day of ST-ing on my second placement, there was a sub in the room. The first thing she said to me was "Fantastic! Student teaching is teaching, right? So I don't really have to do anything!" I had no clue about that particular class or the school. I'd never been there before and was in no position to take over. Fortunately, another teacher in the grade level pulled me out and left the sub alone to deal with her own job.

As a sub, I ask the ST where he or she is. I say I'm happy to follow their lead or I'll be the lead. I can think of two occassions where I've had STs. The first time she did great, she'd been in the room for a while and had a good rapport with the kids. The second time, it was the STs week to run the class, so I just let him do it. He had a hard time contolling the kids. I made a few comments to some kids, but I didn't want him to think I was stepping on his authority, so I didn't make too big a deal of anything.

So, yeah, as a sub I'm paid to run the classroom, but it's nothing to me to stand back and let a confident student teacher exercise the skills they've been practicing. On the other hand, it's a lot of pressure. I never dump it all in the ST's lap and take a vacation, either.

8. ms.

ms. Comrade

Apr 5, 2010

There had to be a sub in my district as well, for liability reasons. Although I can't imagine only teaching full-time for two weeks. For my first placement I was not only developing all of the curriculum for all of the classes, but I was teaching everything after the third week.

So it really wasn't a big deal for me to teach when a sub came. (As I was virtually the sole teacher of that class.)

9. JackTrader

JackTrader Comrade

Apr 5, 2010

My experience subbing for my CT mirrors yours. Of course, I was a sub in the district for a couple of years already, plus having a sub credential, helped as well.

I would also let the ST teach the class depending on what they were supposed to do at that point, but be willing to step in as needed.