The Mall on a Friday Night

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by lemonhead, May 15, 2009.

1. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

May 15, 2009

I'm wondering if anything good comes out of middle schoolers hanging out at a mall on a Friday night??

Tonight, my husband is gone and my oldest is field marshalling a soccer tournament. My youngest son and I went to the mall to check out a new toy store. At 6:30, there were already 6th graders that I knew literally running around, both boys and girls. In the hour that we were there, I saw a group get kicked of the massage chairs in a Brookstone type place, some hanging out in that Lovesac bean bag store, a small flock of 4 or 5 smoking by the entrance to the movie theater, several playing on the escalator, and two kids making out along side of a Pepsi machine in one of the lesser used entrances to the mall.

I know far worse goes on at the mall than what I saw. What do you all think? Should parents allow their kids to hang out there? I don't allow my son. He doesn't ask any more either.

3. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

May 15, 2009

I don't think I would allow dd to go by herself to the mall.

4. GlendaLL

GlendaLL Aficionado

May 15, 2009

Some malls here don't allow kids under 16 to be in the mall without an adult.

5. Blue

Blue Aficionado

May 15, 2009

Kids have always complained about "nothing to do." I case managed teen parents for nine years. Finding productive activities was an issue for most of the teens I knew. My agency sponsored many week end activities, and the teens would bring their entire family as they had nothing to do.

This is why some households are always filled with kids hanging out. I never minded the bunch of kids in the basement playing video games, watching TV, and, of course, eating. I know that some of my girls friends came for food.

6. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

May 16, 2009

I see kids hanging out at the mall all the time. What puzzles me is I often see young teen skateboarders hanging out in the parking lot of my nearest Taco Bell. :confused: I have no idea why they hang out there. It's a small, congested, high traffic area & I can think of tons better places that they could hang out.

7. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

May 16, 2009

My local mall doesn't allow anyone under 17 on Friday or Saturday night unless they are with an adult. They actually check IDs and give out armbands.

I think it is awesome. I used to dread working Friday nights when I worked at Hallmark. The kids were just so rowdy and caused so many problems.

My students were mad. They were going on about how much money the mall would lose. Until I pointed out that they might spend $5-10 at the food court while they are there - I usually spend $100-200 at least when I go to the mall.

8. terptoteacher

terptoteacher Connoisseur

May 16, 2009

Every other week my town has activity nights for the middle schoolers . They have a list of names from each middle school and if you're not on the list, you can't get in. They have dancing,karoake, Velcro wall or something like that, video games, basketball and food. It's all run by parent volunteers and the police have someone there too. It's lots of fun according to my kids.

9. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

May 16, 2009

There's a mall curfew here too and it's 18!

10. cmw

cmw Groupie

May 16, 2009

Some of our local malls don't allow 16 & under without an adult (an 18/19 year old friend doesn't count either). I was in the mall & heard the announcement made regarding the time and adult rule. I think it's great! I am not a big mall shopper. But nothing is more rude than young unsupervised kids running, pushing, & yelling. It is also so dangerous. There are way too many predators out there today. (I mean how many Chris Hanson shows have there been. :naughty: These people who target kids keep popping up). The box stores like Sears & Penny's with outside entrances don't follow the policy. However the mall guards are at their entrances and don't allow the kids into the mall. ;)

11. frogger

frogger Devotee

May 16, 2009

I think the malls around here have the same type of thing going on with a curfew and they have security and I think police there as well. I know the town I grew up in had a curfew too.

Also, I was never allowed to go to the mall as a middle schooler and as I got older and could drive there my friends and I didn't hang out there either.

12. scienceteach82

scienceteach82 Cohort

May 16, 2009

I wish our malls had that...

I was never allowed to go to the mall alone until i was maybe 17? I couldn't do anything really...it sucked

13. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

May 16, 2009

Yeah, me neither. My friends and I didn't drive until we were 18 so our parents dropped us off at the malls on saturdays and picked us up no later than 8pm unless a movie got out later. There was no curfew back then anyway.

14. kimrandy1

kimrandy1 Enthusiast

May 16, 2009

And, really, why is a place that was designed to be a shopping site now an entertainment site? I'd much rather my kids not think of shopping as entertainment. It's not good for their financial stability later in life.
    Kim

15. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

May 16, 2009

I would NOT allow my middle school child go to the mall alone or with a group of friends. It honestly disgusts me that some of my parents allow their eleven and twelve children to go to the movies with a date. Ugh!

16. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

May 16, 2009

It's under age 18 not allowed after 6 on weekends at our local mall, and security is tight.

17. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

May 16, 2009

Well, I have to say, I think that's a little ridiculous. That means I would have been a high school graduate getting ready to go off to college, yet wouldn't have been able to go to Penney's at 6:30 on a Saturday. I appreciate the effort some communities make, but it really does--as usual--boil down to parenting.