The long wait begins again.

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by Mommyserenity, Jun 23, 2013.

1. Mommyserenity

Mommyserenity Devotee

Jun 23, 2013

I had an interview on Friday for a job I really, really want. It was for a Director of Ed position for a private, Christian school. I think it went okay, but I am sure I won't get the job. I always feel like my interviews go well and then I always get the "no thanks" in the end. I felt like I answered everything they asked pretty well. The only things I felt odd about were the following:

*They asked me how I'd lay out a time line in the next month, 3 months, 6 months etc....I answered as best I could without any info on the school other than what I had been able to research online. I discussed making sure the new kindergarten program was on track curriculum wise to ensure the children are being prepared to enter first grade etc.. (the school is Preschool thru K) I also talked about making sure the budget was on track too. I talked about making sure the staff had time to get to know me and visa versa the first few weeks and finding out where they felt the strong/weak areas were in the school. The lady who asked it said it was a good answer since they hadn't provided me with any info on where the school stood currently, but I just felt stupid trying to answer it. I think I failed to answer well.

*One committee member asked why I finished my education so late in life. First time, in all of my teaching career life, I've ever been asked to explain that. I explained that I was in college when my hubby and I got married and we moved to a new state. Due to different state wide regulations, I ended up having to go back and do almost an entire set of core classes required when I enrolled in to college in the new state. It set me back a year almost before I could move on to my major classes. I also explained how when we had our first child I got put on bed rest and had to take a medical leave and then my hubby lost his job when the IT industry tanked and how I went back to work full time to make ends meet until he thankfully got a new job a year later. I then explained that I went back to school and completed my BS and then my M.Ed degree while working full time and with two small children because it was something important for me to do for my family. Again, they nodded and smiled...but I feel like they judged me for it and it will cost me the job. I don't really understand why finishing school later on in life would be a big deal, but I guess it was to one lady. :(

So now I sit and wait for the inevitable rejection I guess. They said they hoped to make a decision by end of the month because the staff is very anxious to get to know the new director before school begins in August and the old director would like to be able to spend about 2 weeks with the new person before she leaves. I am trying to prepare myself for either a two second email, or letter in the mail, telling me they chose someone else....or more likely I'll never hear another word from anyone. I'm just so depressed and feel like I totally blew it. I really wanted this job. After seven interviews so far that have all been failures, I just no longer have any confidence left. Just feel like I've been kicked over and over again and will continue to be kicked to the curb. This was likely my last hope for a job this fall.No more interviews lined up and job postings are becoming fewer and far between in my area as the summer goes on since pre planning begins in just over a month for teachers. :(

3. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Jun 23, 2013

Don't feel like you blew it. You can only be you. Your life experience is your life experience, and neither you or anyone else can change that. You answered the question about why you finished school later in life honestly, and it was probably an inappropriate question to begin with from the sounds of it. She may have just been curious, but an interview is not the place for asking things out of curiosity.

It sounds like you did the best you could with the timeline question. Given your lack of knowledge about the school's current standing, your answer sounds great to me.

Keep your chin up. The right job will come along eventually, and they may even you think you did much better than you think you did.

4. Rainbowbird

Rainbowbird Groupie

Jun 23, 2013

I can't imagine that anyone would hold that against you! Finishing late in life while raising a family, etc. is a HUGE accomplishment! You prob did a lot better than you think!

5. mathteachertobe

mathteachertobe Cohort

Jun 23, 2013

I'm not sure how things work in Georgia, but out here there's "school just let out" hiring, then about a month-long lull, then there's "teachers unexpectedly not returning" hiring. So while the calls may dwindle, keep letting potential employers know of your availability, they may need to hire someone in the week or two before school starts.

I hope you do get this position though!

6. elateacher4life

elateacher4life Cohort

Jun 23, 2013

It's not over until it's over. Keep believing.

7. kab164

kab164 Companion

Jun 23, 2013

I student taught, and while doing so found out I was pregnant. Now, I had waited 16 years for a baby!!! I was home with her for five years and loved every minute of it. Then it took me four more years to find a teaching job. I would be further along money wise if I hadn't stayed home but wouldn't change a thing. I wish you the best!

8. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

Jun 24, 2013

I think the answers you gave to those two questions are very good ones. I also don't have any clue why people judge those who start later on in life- you have the experience of living that is so very important for a directing job like that- much more important than a newbie out of college!

I'm hoping that you will hear something positive about the position soon :)

9. Mommyserenity

Mommyserenity Devotee

Jun 24, 2013

I did make a point to bring up that I was a preschool aged teacher (for many years actually) prior to teaching elem ages and being a director at a previous church school. I told them it helped me have the perspective of being on both sides of the table...I know what it's like to be in a classroom day in and day while also knowing what it's like to be on the administrative end too. I also know the parenting angle as well since my own children are past the preschool age. Sadly, I just don't think any of that mattered. All the lady seemed to focus on was if I did classes online or in an actual classroom. I did both...it was a hybrid program from a fully accredited university that is actually very reputable! I guess I just feel insulted as if they think my college education isn't as good as one done in my 20's. Maybe I'm over thinking it all,but I doubt it. I did send a thank you after the interview. I had literally no contact info for anyone on the committee, as the only contact I had was via the secretary. I sent the note to her and asked her to please forward it to the members. I hope that was okay...but I didn't see that I had any other way to send it. I also feel I have zero shot due to the fact that the head of the committee didn't bother to show up due to having other commitments. I know he was in the interviews the week I was away on vacation, but he didn't bother to show for mine. There is zero way I'll get hired since he obviously didn't care to meet me and left it to the other three members to interview me and report back to him. Im just so beaten down at this pointbanc feel stupid for thinking on Friday when I walked in to the interview thay i actually had a shot. It's always the same....I'm never good enough. :(

10. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Jun 24, 2013

Did they say when they will let you know?

11. Mommyserenity

Mommyserenity Devotee

Jun 24, 2013

Not really. They said they "hoped" to make a decision by end of the month because all of the staff is very anxious to get to meet whomever is chosen and they want the new person to get to spend 1-2 weeks with the outgoing director before she leaves. However, they were very non-committal to when they'd decide saying it would have to pass thru various people at the church etc....I figure it was just a way to blow me off honestly.

12. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Jun 24, 2013

Well, continue looking and applying for other positions in the mean time. Good luck! I wish you the best in your job hunt.

13. Mommyserenity

Mommyserenity Devotee

Jun 24, 2013

Unfortunately,the postings for jobs in my area have pretty much stopped. Unless I want to drive 2+ hours one way to teach in downtown then I am out of job options. Since my husband travels for work,and I must be primary care giver to both my girls, that type of commute is not an option at all and I won't even consider putting them in the downtown schools due to the highly publicized cheating scandal that just went down. They are in a top notch system now, which is why we chose the area to live in years ago, so unless a true miracle happens I am done for this hiring season. I've even applied for daycare jobs that I am way overqualified for and can't even get an interview.

14. Rainbowbird

Rainbowbird Groupie

Jun 24, 2013

Hugs, just keep looking though. Something might come up. You never know! Someone could get sick, go on sabbatical, or there could be an over enrollment.

I know how you're feeling. If I don't get a job, I guess I might consider another LTS. I really feel done with subbing, though. Ironically, I get the most respect from the parents and principal as a sub. It is the kids and other teachers who don't seem to view me as a "real" teacher! As time goes on, the kids begin to accept me as I'm an experienced teacher and I have the support of their parents. But it's hard when colleagues don't bother to learn my name or constantly refer to me by the "real" teacher's name. So rude.

Another option is teaching through grant-funded programs if you are near a university. A friend of mine got hired to provide intervention services through the state university. She gets the same pay as a teacher, but says the job is much easier. She just delivers intervention services, and has nothing to take home at night! Nor does she have to write report cards, etc. Granted it may not be the same as having your own classroom, but you are working with kids and getting all the same pay and benefits. Something to check out!

15. Mommyserenity

Mommyserenity Devotee

Jun 24, 2013

Thank you for the suggestion, but I am not eligible to be hired for anything grant related. Due to a long, drawn out story I still only have a provisional certificate. I can convert it upon being hired by an credited school, but none will even look at me. :( You must be Highly Qualified for grant jobs. While I am certified in the state's eyes, I am not considered HQ with a provisional.