The "Little Things" That Make You Homesick..

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Starista, Oct 23, 2010.

1. Starista

Starista Cohort

Oct 23, 2010

I've lived in South Florida for about 6 years, but spent my entire childhood (until age 18) in a Boston suburb and returned every summer from college.

So many things make me nostalgic for home, especially this time of year...

What makes YOU miss your hometown?

The following make me very nostaligic for new england...!

1. Red and Blue license plates.

2. Florida's effort to make Christmastime/Winter seem "real" with mall decorations, etc.

3. Recent Thanksgiving pictures of me in a tanktop and sandals rather than a sweater, jeans, and stylish boots.

4. Seafood, all types.

5. Walking past the mitten, hat, and scarf section of Target when it's 78 degrees outside...

6. Parades, all types.

7. When a supermarket adds "Poland Springs" bottled water among its collection of waters.

8. Attempting to teach my students about the season's changing in the northeast and describing the tree colors. It's apparent that I have "seen it in person" many, many times.

Maybe it's just the pregnancy hormones... but I could use a good dose of home!

3. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Oct 23, 2010

I moved to So FL when I was 22, so I spent my childhood up north, too. I'm still not over missing fall and the feeling of excitement for summer each Memorial Day. Christmas just isn't quite the same.

But, I realize that I didn't have to deal with winter difficulties for very long up there - just 5 years of driving in winter weather. If I'd had to deal with all the expenses of winterizing a home and family, etc., (imagine toilet training in the cold???), I would appreciate the easier living in the warm weather climate.

So, I realize my nostalgia is more for my childhood impressions. Still doesn't make me miss those beautiful leaves in Oct. any less.

4. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Oct 23, 2010

I moved around my entire life but because my mom's family lived/lives in North Carolina that was always "home".

What I miss about NC even though I haven't lived there in 25 years

*North Carolina eastern BBQ (making myself miserable thinking about it)
    *Red Hot Dogs
    *ACC Basketball all the time made even worse because I live in Big 10 county

5. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Oct 23, 2010

I only moved three hours away, in an adjoining state. But it is crazy that I cannot get any good quality seafood here. I hate it.

Also there are a lot of state laws and procedures that are different, so anytime I have to pay sales tax or get my car inspected, I miss home.

Today I seriously want a cupcake from the awesome cupcake shop where I was living before I moved. I am thinking about trying to see if I can make my own. lol.

6. TeacherApr

TeacherApr Groupie

Oct 23, 2010

This is my 4th year in AZ and I have not been quiet expressing my true feelings working down here. I hate it! With that said, I"m becoming more and more homesick. I have not been home in 2 years now....due to the fact that our pay has been going downhill and things have been cut!!!!!! THANKS ARIZONA FOR NOT ALLOWING ME TO SEE MY FAMILY!!! Moving on..... = )

1. Snow on TV makes me homesick
    2. Not being able to buy or eat in a restaurant fresh caught Northwest Salmon
    3. Sun setting at 6pm during the winter and 7pm during the summer
    4. Hearing about everyone going to the fair back home and to car shows.

7. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Oct 23, 2010

I still live in my hometown.

I didn't, however, spend a Christmas at home until I was in my early 20's. We always went to my grandmother's house for a few days. There were people in and out of the house constantly, and on Christmas eve right at sundown, Santa always came by. He'd stop at all the corners, and he'd talk to kids and give out paper bags with fruit and candy. (It was put on by the fire department.)

Christmas has never quite seemed "right" since then.

8. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Oct 23, 2010

]I rarely get homesick, but I DO miss the little things, I know what you mean. I'm from RI, and have been living in NC almost 3 years. I've been home 4 times.

• Being ablle to buy skim milk in a gas station. Here it's only whole milk. Gross!
    • Dunkin Donuts everywhere
    • Diversity. I miss the mohawks, burkas (is that how you spell it?), same-sex couples, ethnic foods, etc.) Not much of that here.
    • The college kids used to be really cool in my hometown. We had Brown and Rhode Island School of Design kids and they really brought a lot of neat things to the area.
    • Multiple ways to drive places. Here there's usually one road to get where you're going and it gets mundane driving to work each day.
    • Whole Foods
    • Sometimes I get tired of hearing souther drawls and I love meeting a Northerner and hearing their accent (I don't have either)
    • Poetry slams/art galleries/wine tastings/stuff like that

There's lots of things I miss but I don't want to go back.

9. MissAnt

MissAnt Comrade

Oct 23, 2010

I'm right there with you. I'm from the tax free state and I miss many of the things you listed. GOOD crab cakes especially.

My car is registered in Delaware and I'm not looking forward to switching it over.

10. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Oct 23, 2010

My family is now spread around the world. I haven't had a family holiday since the early 1990s and haven't spend a holiday with a family member since around 2004. The only thing that I miss is .... my family :(

11. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Oct 23, 2010

I forgot the biggest thing in the summer. It was no big deal for me to go to the beach for the day. It is not much of a drive from my parents, and only about an hour from where I was living before. Now I can't just get up early in the morning and decide to run to the beach. I HATE that because previously I would go about once a week in the summer.

My siblings are all still at home so I get homesick a lot when I hear about stuff they are doing, even if they all go out to dinner. It is worse around the holidays - decorating the tree, making cookies. I feel left out. I don't think it would get to me as much if my other siblings had moved out and everything changed, but knowing they are still doing all the same things we did as kids but without me hurts a little. There are other little things to, like I ALWAYS used to go with my grandma to pick out the Thanksgiving turkey - that was MY job and it was a big joke that I would pick up every turkey in the freezer until I found THE ONE. I can't do that anymore - I just live too far away. At least I can make it for Thanksgiving though.

12. pumpkincup

pumpkincup Rookie

Oct 23, 2010

Just reading these is making me teary and homesick! I am most homesick in the fall because I miss our trips to the local apple orchard. I miss Hoffman hot dogs, salt potatos, Jax (cheese curls), pavone's pizza, buying alcohol at the grocery store, people who actually know how to drive in the snow and the awesome plows that got rid of the snow.
    ...I just really loved saying that I was a New Yorker.

13. pumpkincup

pumpkincup Rookie

Oct 23, 2010

I just looked over my post. I did mention a lot of food. I guess I'm hungry.

14. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Oct 23, 2010

I think that you're from my area of New York (since just about everything you said is very familiar!).

15. pumpkincup

pumpkincup Rookie

Oct 23, 2010

I'm originally from Syracuse.

16. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Oct 23, 2010

I miss good coffee...there's nothing better than a shot of Cafe Colada to get one's blood moving. I miss the coffee counters that dot every street in Miami-Dade county.

I miss randomly deciding to head to the beach, and doing it, with only a quick stop by the grocery store to grab snacks, drinks and ice for the cooler (there was ALWAYS beach gear in my car).

I miss the smell of salt water.

I miss being 30 minutes away from Key Largo.

I miss the Book Fair. My old employer stages a HUGE book fair every year, and it closes with an enormous street fair that closes down several city blocks (mostly one of the campuses, with some side streets affected).

17. Chrissteeena

Chrissteeena Companion

Oct 23, 2010

Even though winter wasn't my favorite season, I miss seasons.

I miss the town carnivals. The ones that went from one LIRR station to the next from spring to summer.

I miss being able to get a good slice of pizza, an italian sandwich from a real deli, and a good bagel.

I miss seeing Christmas lights dangling off of houses, trees, bushes, etc. and not palm trees (it is just odd to see).

I miss being able to jump on the LIE and head out east to go pumpkin picking wearing a sweater and not going from corner to corner to pick a pumpkin out from under a tent that is later used to sell fireworks on new years, memorial day or fourth of july.

(I grew up on Long Island, NY and now live in Daytona Beach, FL)

18. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Oct 24, 2010

That was me. I just finally admitted defeat and took the beach mat out. I used to have a bag fixed up in the coat closet so I could just grab it and go. Sigh...

19. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Oct 24, 2010

I knew Hoffman's and salt potatoes sounded like upstate NY LOL

20. MathTeacher29

MathTeacher29 Rookie

Oct 24, 2010

I'm originally from NY, and I've lived in NC for 4 years.
    I miss good pizza,
    Tim Hortons,
    Carnivals every weekend in the summer
    Playing in the snow
    Diversity, where I live being different isn't accepted,
    Good food, everything here is fried!
    Apple picking and apple cider
    I'm really homesick right now, fall was my favorite season!

21. joe22k

joe22k Rookie

Oct 24, 2010

I am from Ohio but this is my 3rd year living in South Carolina. Luckily I have been able to go home more than several posters here but my family is still the number one thing that I miss- they are all still in Ohio.

I also miss high school football where it actually feels like fall outside and being able to wear hoodies in the fall. Those are the 2 big things.

22. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Oct 25, 2010

I moved from a small farm town in WI to a small farm town in IN, so many things are very similar. That said, I miss:

--Everything stopping for Packer games on Sunday. Even when the Colts went to the Super Bowl last year, it didn't seem like a big deal here. Back home, every gas station/store/house would have had signs outside and EVERYBODY would have been wearing their green and gold.
    --Being able to get GOOD tickets to a baseball game for $25 bucks or less
    --Apple orchards and Christmas tree farms
    --Fresh string cheese and cheese curds!
    --Snow in the winter--I've actually heard people here say (when it's 35 degrees and rainy), "At least it's not snow." Ummm, 30 degrees and snowy is much more pleasant than 35 and rainy, especially if it's going to be cold anyways...
    --Enough snow plows so that the storm with 4 inches of snow that we inevitably get every year doesn't shut down the whole county for a week!
    --Several little shops that sell hand-dipped ice cream cones in each small town

23. scholarteacher

scholarteacher Connoisseur

Oct 26, 2010

I have several "homes". Beautiful fountains make me homesick for the most beautiful city in America, Kansas City. College football, the color orange, and hearing "Rocky Top" make me homesick for Tennessee!