The little things that bug you

Discussion in 'Debate & Marathon Threads Archive' started by Linguist92021, Jan 22, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Reality Check

Reality Check Habitué

Jan 24, 2013

OUTSTANDING! (The only difference being, these are BIG things that bother me!)

:thumb:

2. greendream

greendream Cohort

Jan 24, 2013

I hate it when people send important emails with NO SUBJECT! Especially when I need to go back and search for an email from a specific person, and every single email they've ever sent has no subject.

3. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jan 24, 2013

I feel yelled at when reading forum posts in big bold fonts with colored text.

4. TulipsGirl

TulipsGirl Cohort

Jan 24, 2013

I could be that teacher that bugs you! I never, ever, ever notice who parks where (aside from those that are reserved spaces for administration.) When I walk in, I'm thinking about my class, when I walk out, I'm thinking about the next place to which i'm headed. I may even be talking to coworkers, but most definitely not noticing where you park! I just park in the first available spot. And I'm not mentioning this to tell you off at all. I'm just mentioning it because when we hear someone else's viewpoint, sometimes what bothered us before, just doesn't bother us much anymore because we know it was not done intentionally, or lack of responsibilty... We just didn't realize you love that space so much!

5. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Jan 24, 2013

I get to school early so I usually get to pick where I to park. I don't think I'd be upset if someone took "my" spot. I do hate however when someone parks too close to you even though there is plenty of room on the other side. This one teacher does that all the time and I might just change "my" spot because of this!
    I remembered another thing that bugged me when I got an e-mail from a snippy staff member today. She started out the e-mail with the word "unfortunately". Every time I see that starting an email or conversation it just seems like they are trying to get out of whatever it is you are complaining to them about LOL

6. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Jan 24, 2013

That is annoying also. I have to say most people I work with do put in subjects. I do really hate when people don't identify themselves as to where exactly they work. This one woman emailed me asking me to come to her office to pick something and I had no idea where she was or where her office was located! In the signatures of our emails we were told to put our names and room# or office location. Some people didn't get that memo I guess :rolleyes:

7. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Jan 24, 2013

Minor but annoying policy switches every six months. Yeah, that's starting to irk me.

8. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Jan 24, 2013

I just sat down to enter grades onto progress reports, and the screen on our web-based program has changed. Some of the fonts and some of the boxes are slightly larger. I now cannot see my 16 students on one page at the same time, nor can I see there name on the left and their grade on the right. A small thing, but it's really throwing me off, and I'm slightly frustrated!

9. QE1

QE1 Rookie

Jan 24, 2013

Being told I'm not as good as teacher X because not all of my students like me, when teacher X is sending students off campus to buy breakfast for the whole class with their credit card, which is why the students like teacher X so much to begin with.

10. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Jan 24, 2013

I've been subbing a lot for a special ed teacher, which means that except for 1 class I am second teacher in a classroom or providing one on one instruction. Which means if they need to, they can pull me to sub for a teacher that doesn't have a sub. Which is definitely ok with me.

so this morning I had to cover 1 class - teacher called in late, sub was on the way.
    Notes "subplans"? were basically handwritten, 3 lines, in cursive which I could not make out. I could see 1 video on youtube, and a bunch of other scribbles. This is sooooo annoying!!

I mean I understand those notes were for the teacher herself, she probably didn't know she was gonna be out, but then she could just shoot an email over to the school to make sure the sub knows what to do. Her handwriting sucks!
    Luckily I knew what they were covering, because I was in the classroom before with her (subbing for spec. ed teacher) so we reviwed some info, watched the video she wanted, and then found some other relevant ones and discussed the topic in depth. But it was hard, and this is the situation when students will act up, but it was ok.

So annoying!!
    And let me just get this off my chest: she's the worst teacher ever. A lot of the time (for example every day the past 2 weeks) she'll talk about the topic for 15-20 minutes, show a youtube video about it, for which she wasn't even prepared for, she's looking through them in the middle of the class. In the mieanwhile the students have nothing to read, writem, they just sit there, listen / tune her out / fall asleep / misbehave. And then she'll show them a music video (rap, etc) to reward the students, or more so bribing them. She'll do this even if the students were horrible.
    This is just crazy. I can't believe she's still teaching and the P can't really do much.

11. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jan 24, 2013

Really? That bugs you! CRAZY!

12. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jan 25, 2013

(TG turns slowly toward Peachy and gives her The Teacher Look.)

13. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Jan 25, 2013

I don't mind sharing, but I hate it when people are too lazy to get their own supplies and constantly "borrow" from me.
    I also hate disruptions over the speaker or people coming into my room when I'm busy with the kids.

14. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jan 25, 2013

:lol: Hee hee hee.... :p

15. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jan 25, 2013

Reverting to... type..., Peachy?

16. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jan 25, 2013

:lol:

17. newteech

newteech Rookie

Jan 25, 2013

Great posting.

I work with a teacher all the kids love. She works hard to be "friends" with all of them. Not much instruction takes place in her classroom however.

Meanwhile I work hard at instruction and I concentrate on being their teacher over being "friends". Of course I am not as well liked as her.
    :sigh:

18. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Jan 25, 2013

When someone uses the 'last' of something - laminating film, binding coils, toner, etc. and doesn't let the office know to order more.

19. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Jan 25, 2013

I get a little annoyed when people don't start e-mails with some sort of greeting. It makes me worry that they're irritated about something.

This is especially funny to me because BF is annoyed by greetings and other unnecessary information in e-mails.

20. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Jan 26, 2013

OK, this one is little, but it happens nearly every day...

When someone sends me an email, puts a salutation, and spells my name wrong. My email address IS my freaking name. You just typed it correctly. Why, every time, do you spell my name wrong in the email?

It's not even a hard name!

21. ecteach

ecteach Devotee

Jan 26, 2013

YES!!!! THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

22. ecteach

ecteach Devotee

Jan 26, 2013

And this!!!! (Especially when it's confidential paperwork, because the school is too cheap to buy me my own printer!)

23. GeetGeet

GeetGeet Companion

Jan 26, 2013

Our Guidance department asks for course descriptions all the time, even for classes for which we have already submitted descriptions-- and continues to "reinterpret" them EVERY. SINGLE. YEAR. I teach art, which is elective, so the descriptions are important. I can't tell you how many times students thought they were going to be using computer equipment that we do not have in our rooms--or in the school building at all!!
    I also can't stand when the guidance department tell the kid that a certain class is going to be "easy." Thanks, guidance, that makes for a great introduction. :|

24. ecteach

ecteach Devotee

Jan 26, 2013

When an administrator calls me on the class phone mid-lesson and expects me to do something about their problem asap. (Team Leader responsibilities.) Hello, I am teaching! I do have an assistant....and I think they just think she can follow through with the lesson. It's still annoying!

25. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Jan 26, 2013

I'm so paranoid about this that I still always double-check on our staff directory. We have someone whose first name is spelled in an uncommon way so I always look it up!

Other small annoyance-kids take a quiz at the beginning of the period. At the end of the period, they ask me if I've graded them yet. Umm, I just taught you the whole time! When was I supposed to grade them?! :confused:

26. mandamouse123

mandamouse123 Rookie

Jan 26, 2013

Me as well. Where I work, they typically happen at the same time! I cannot stand that my coworkers think that borrowing tape or my playdough is more important then me spending time with my kids (I teach pre-k). Really? That's what nap time and your break is for! Or come back during centers! Ironically, centers take up most of our day, so to interrupt, you really have to plan well.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.