The little things that bug you

Discussion in 'Debate & Marathon Threads Archive' started by Linguist92021, Jan 22, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Jan 22, 2013

How about a thread where we can vent about the little things that happen to us throughout the day? nothing major, maybe it's something silly or offensive someone did but not worth to confront them about, maybe it's a mistake we made, or others and it just bugs us? Nothing judgmental. I'm not looking for someone to tell me what I should've done, not in this thread :)

So.
    Friday: I went to sub at a community day school. Interesting set up: 1 classroom, nowhere to check in, 3-4 probation officers checking in (and searching) students. So I walk in the hallway, one of the officers walk me in the classroom, introduces me to the teacher aide, and says : "This is ... (TA), this is just a sub." I look at the PO and say: "just a sub? I think we're gonna have a problem today, me and you". I said it jokingly, but was annoyed. He backed off "well, I didn't know your name".
    Obviously I watched Bad Teacher way too many times (she asked another teacher: we're gonna have a problem, me and you?), but I was kinda ticked. It's bad enough that student look at subs as inferior, now I have to hear it from a probation officer???

I'm still thinking about this, so obviously it's bugging me. So now it's time to let it go :)

3. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jan 22, 2013

I hate how SO many teachers don't respond to important emails. When I see them face to face and bring up whatever issue is at hand, they'll say, "Oh, yeah, I read your email." Okay, so freaking respond, please!

4. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Jan 22, 2013

There's an officer that always likes to butt into my lesson. When I sub for a special ed teacher, I teach one science lesson (everything else is co-teaching, very easy). In this part of camp, the officers are stricter, so often one actually sits in class so there are no problems. So there is this one officer who must think he's so smart, he actually contributes to the lesson by "what she's trying to say is this.... " and then he goes in a brief explanation that is not always what I was talking about. And anyways, I wasn't TRYING to say something, I was saying it! And the kids got it, thank you very much!!
    But I figure it's better to let it go, it's better to have this officer on my side then to be against me. Annoying though.

5. Curiouscat

Curiouscat Comrade

Jan 22, 2013

I hate when I make a set of copies, put them in their designated place, and then can't find them the day I need them!!!!!! Of course, I find them two days later when I don't need them!

6. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Jan 22, 2013

This is my pet peeve too. Especially when I can't go forward without knowing the answer.

7. scholarteacher

scholarteacher Connoisseur

Jan 22, 2013

Whew! I'm not the only one who does that! :)

8. knitter63

knitter63 Groupie

Jan 22, 2013

I hate when I print something out to the printer, and when I go to retrieve it, someone else thought it was wonderful too, and took it! I also don't like when someone at the copier just got done making a ton of copies, and didn't bother to put more paper in it.

9. stephenpe

stephenpe Connoisseur

Jan 22, 2013

I teach at two schools, alternating everyday. My peeve is needing something here when it is at the other school. Luckily, I live next to one school so if I am going to the other that day I can stop by and get it like I did this morning at 6am. I have tried to have duplicates at each school but not all of it can be. Hauling 3000 dollars worth of archery equipment back and forth in my truck is a task. Exhausting ;)

10. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

Jan 22, 2013

I agree with you stephen, though I don't haul any archery equipment. It is a big pet peeve of mine, although it helps a great deal that I don't teach any of the same things at either of my schools.

11. Curiouscat

Curiouscat Comrade

Jan 22, 2013

I hate having a work day cancelled because of weather! I had the whole day planned out. The thought of no students interrupting just made me smile.:) Oh well, I am sure I will survive!

12. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jan 22, 2013

Oh, I hate that, too! For me, it's not really teachers who don't respond but the office staff and admin. UGH!

13. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Jan 22, 2013

Unresponsive administrators are peeving me at the moment. I signed and turned in a tuition expense report 20 days ago, reminding my administrator that he needed to forward it today to avoid any late issues. I've heard nothing.

14. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jan 22, 2013

If the photocopier jams when you are using, please don't just walk away, try to fix it. If you can't clear the jam, at least leave a note so that the next person knows it isn't working.

15. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jan 22, 2013

The thing that bugs me is getting an email sent to the whole staff that really only applies to one or two staff members.

16. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Jan 22, 2013

YES! Equally irritating is when there is an email that goes out to all teachers and someone hits "reply all" to add his or her :2cents:.

17. monsieurteacher

Jan 22, 2013

Oh! We had a major instance of this... All teachers are in the government e-mail database for the province, so we share e-mail with all other government workers. One time, somebody accidentally sent an e-mail that was meant for one person to the whole government database.

There were about 50 replies in my e-mail from people hitting reply all... about half of them were people replying-all to tell people to stop replying to all. I can only imagine how many e-mails the poor woman that made the mistake received!

18. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Jan 22, 2013

The word "sub" is outlawed in my district. We call 'em "guest teachers!" :hugs:

19. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Jan 22, 2013

:yeahthat:

20. Reality Check

Reality Check Habitué

Jan 22, 2013

I'm going to cheat on this one because there have been quite a few mentioned here in previous posts that I like.

So, instead of restricting myself to just one:

The e-mail one, copier paper, walking away from a copier problem, and unresponsive administrators are all good ones!

Hard to top those!
    ;)

21. knitter63

knitter63 Groupie

Jan 22, 2013

:yeahthat:

22. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Jan 22, 2013

Our copy machine jammed last week and someone just left it. I was able to fix it with no problem so I don't think they even tried!
    One thing that really annoys me is when people just come into my classroom without knocking (except for principal and asst. principal but sometimes they will even knock). I have a sign on my door saying PLEASE KNOCK because if random people just barge into my classroom, my students get distracted and it is very difficult to keep going with my lessons. My students have severe disabilities so it is hard to keep their attention in the first place. Maybe I should make the sign bigger. One day I locked the door so they coudn't come in unless they knocked!

23. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Jan 22, 2013

The people who seem to think that their time is somehow much, much more valuable than my time. We all have too much to do and too few hours, people!

24. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jan 22, 2013

People who are always super late for meetings. Being five minutes late or whatever doesn't bother me; being 30 minutes late for a 40-minute meeting irks me to no end. Why can't I just decide to come and go as I please?

25. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Jan 22, 2013

A little one, but it annoys me when parents send their child in the morning with a note saying that they will be picking them up at X time and to please send their work with them for the rest of the day. That in itself is no big deal, but it really bothers me when they then pick the kid up 30 minutes before X time and I have to scramble around because I was going to do it during lunch (or recess, or while the kids are reading, or other time convenient for gathering absent work that is just around the corner).

26. bubbles

bubbles Rookie

Jan 22, 2013

I hate when someone gives a good idea in a meeting and it is shot down, but another person gives the same idea and it is suddenly awesome!

27. TeachingHistory

TeachingHistory Companion

Jan 22, 2013

When the team meeting location changes and no one bothers to tell me......

28. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

Jan 22, 2013

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

RIGHT!?!? This one teacher at my school refused to answer any of my emails about our field trip so I straight planned it without her. Hopefully she gets the notice that she's not coming. :rolleyes: She can go with the other group of classes.

29. brigidy

brigidy Comrade

Jan 22, 2013

Or when the kids come in and say "I'm not feeling well and Mom said if I am still sick she will come and get me". Why say that? Either leave the child at home or send them and tell me not the child. I am now going to have a child constantly telling my how sick they are for the first half of the day.

My big pet peeve: Pencils that won't sharpen. The lead just falls out. What happened to good pencils????

30. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jan 22, 2013

When the school or district makes a ridiculous plan that just doesn't jive with the whole "school" thing. Case in point, our semester final grades are due today. Guess what we can't access today or tomorrow? Our gradebooks. Awesome, huh? Apparently we're all supposed to remember the second quarter, final exam, and overall first semester grades for all our students in all our classes.

31. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Jan 22, 2013

Yeah, that too!

32. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Jan 22, 2013

Some of these are insightful to me! It doesn't bother me at all when I have to reload the paper. It's right next to the copier so no big deal to put it in.

I don't have many pet peeves... I definitely concur about the pencils! It irritates me when people run off a bunch of copies and then they just sit on our table in the work room. It also irritates me when people leave food sitting in our fridge for way, way, way too long!

33. Rebel1

Rebel1 Connoisseur

Jan 22, 2013

What ticks me off the MOST...
    -People who taddle on what me, instead of letting me know that whatever I am doing is bothering them....SNITCHING folks!
    -Teachers who stand around discussing their life stories; when they are supposed to be interacting with the children, OR at least watching them. If one of the kids was to get hurt, they would have no idea about what happened.
    -Two faced bosses and people who say one thing, smile in your face, and then turn around and talk about you behind your back.
    Rebel1

34. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Jan 22, 2013

Wow :) I didn't know so many of us had so many little things that bugged us, lol. And we've been keeping it all in.

35. monsieurteacher

Jan 22, 2013

DON'T let these things bother you! Trust the MAN WITH THE PLAN! He knows what's best for you! Stop being TICKED OFF!

monsieurteacher

36. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Jan 22, 2013

Or the copier jams and someone clears it!

37. beccmo

beccmo Comrade

Jan 23, 2013

It irks me when I get a request to send an absent student's assignments down to the office for a parent to pick up. Well that doesn't bother me. What bothers me is when I go into the office the next morning and those assignments are still sitting there! And the student comes into class and asks what they missed.

This happens even when I send assignments electronically!

38. Go Blue!

Go Blue! Connoisseur

Jan 23, 2013

Admin who never leave their office to actually monitor what is going on in their building ... You make 6 figures to run things, not me.

Meetings not starting on time or going over time because everyone wants to vent complain about their personal school issues ... Everyone is unhappy about something, deal with it on your own time.

Parents not showing up for IEP meetings or meetings in general and never calling to cancel - so we just wait and wait, wasting our Plan or after school time.

I also hate the mantra: "if you have engaging lessons and activities, students will not misbehave. Engagement equals behavior management." Get that mess out of here.

39. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jan 23, 2013

I've had the printer thing happen far too often.

When I worked at a school who had a person whose only job was to make copies, I left my flash card originals that had been cut and taped together to be copied. Someone loved them and made a copy. The only problem was they left me the copy and it was copied wrong. Did they think I wouldn't notice there wasn't tape on my master copies??

40. terptoteacher

terptoteacher Connoisseur

Jan 23, 2013

I park in the same spot every day. I have parked in that same spot every day for the last two years. I hate it when I drive into the parking lot and my beloved space is occupied. Now I know sometimes it could be a visitor or sub who doesn't know I park there every day. I get that, but I hate it when someone who works there every day and generally arrives after me so they know I park there every day takes my spot if I happen to arrive a few minutes later.

41. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jan 24, 2013

Hmm, little things that bug me.. how about my two coworkers who are truly unprofessional. I have to speak to one of them almost on a daily basis, "um, you can't do that, we will get in trouble".

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.