The Lining Up Blues...whining, jumping, pushing...

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by Ms.Titwillow, Sep 26, 2010.

1. Ms.Titwillow

Ms.Titwillow Rookie

Sep 26, 2010

Any tips on lining up 2.9, 3, and 4yr olds together? Some of them cry when they aren't line leader, push each other, start jumping around like Jumping Beans, copying bad behavior, turn the other direction, ask nonsense questions, etc. (There are roughly 7-10 kids in a group).

This line up chaos happens after a short group math lesson of 15 minutes when they are to line up for bathroom break right before snack. Then as they are finished using the bathroom they line up again to walk over to the snack area with more of the same problems.

What do you do?

3. Noel

Noel Companion

Sep 26, 2010

Well my kids are older but this is what we do, we have a line order and we line up in that order everytime all the time no exceptions. I have a line leader and a line caboose that rotate into those spots weekly, everyone else is always in the same order.

It has practically eliminated any line issues. I determined the order and tell them that this is the way it's done.

Not sure if it would work for preschool but I have done it in both 1st and 4th grade with great success.

4. SoReady2Teach

SoReady2Teach Comrade

Sep 26, 2010

I have a line leader as well and caboose as well. My kids also practice again if they don't get in line quietly. It may take them two or three tries to get it right, and I have seen the improvement. I'm not sure if doing exactly that would work for you, but I do know there are some mini lining up poems you could use.

5. Ms.Titwillow

Ms.Titwillow Rookie

Sep 26, 2010

My kids don't understand about having a different line leader each day (or week, etc.)...they always start freaking out and crying, pouting, and throwing a tantrum. A caboose...none of them want anything to do with being last even though it has a special name (lol).
    For the meantime I have distracted them by having them follow what I'm doing (touching my head, nose, shoulders, etc.). But I don't think this will work each and every time!

6. Miller59

Miller59 Companion

Sep 27, 2010

I ahve a line leader and caboose. We've been changing jobs daily while everyone is learning the how to do their job. I stress the importance of both jobs. I also might have the group try again if they can't get it right. I sometimes play the quiet game - "I'm closing my eyes and counting to 5. Can you line up so so so SO quietly that I can't hear you?" I release kids to line up one by one, never the whole group at once. You can do this by names, by color of shirt, by lace up shoes then velcro then buckles -- you get the idea. And talk to them about how important it is to line up safely and move safely through the school.

7. mrgrinch09

mrgrinch09 Comrade

Sep 27, 2010

Do you have to send all of them to the bathroom at once? Can you send them 2 at a time, and keep the rest busy with something else in the room. Is the bathroom in your classroom, or do you have to send them out of the room to go potty?

8. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

Sep 27, 2010

Or if it is just on the otherside of the door in an adjoining hall, stand in the door way and point at the most quiet person, then have them line up outside your room near the rest room.

I agree that line leaders and caboose is probably not going well. The little ones love titles, but hate waiting and can't remember things will even out. Sometimes I just have the most quiet line up, and if they get rowdy then have them sit back down where we were again and try again. When they get back in line "again" they are a lot further back.

Remember in the earlier post how many steps there are for tiny people in a transition.

One of our tricks is to have a transition game. So I sing a song like "Willaby Wallaby Woo" by Raffi and when it is their name that rhymes they can sneek up to line. The people in line are still singing and listening so they are kinda busy too.

9. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Sep 28, 2010

With 3's and 4's, I sometimes let the line leader line up, then the door holder, than one of them picks someone who's quiet to line up next... that person picks the next person, etc. If you talk or goof around, you sit back down... and you're going to be LAST.

I also let just a few kids line up at a time, like Miller mentioned... it curbs a LOT of the chaos!

10. Sam Aye M

Sam Aye M Mr. Know-It-All

Sep 28, 2010

There's a teacher at my job that uses a pretty ingenious plan (at least I think so). He took round mouse pads of different colors, and each student has their own "circle." So when it's time to line up, he just says, "get on your circles." He uses the mousepads for when it is time to line up outside, and inside he has actual round stickers taped on the floor. There is never a problem lining up, which is pretty amazing considering these are very young ED kids.

11. kejadair

kejadair New Member

Sep 28, 2010

I use different colored dinosaur feet on the floor. Each student puts their feet on a pair of feet. The last student out the door is the light switcher - my kids love getting to turn the lights on and off anyway, so this is a big privilege. We also sing a song that helps them keep their hands to themselves and reminds them of the rules. It goes like this:

Keep your hands to yourself (pull hands in towards body)
    Listen to your teacher (cup hand around ear)
    Don't run down the hall (shake finger or head no)
    Only 1 person talks at a time (hold up 1 finger)
    Shhhhhhh! (finger in front of lips)
    Zip, lock, key, bucket! (zip lips, turn the key, mime putting the key on your head, put both hands on head - this is the bucket that keeps the key on your head)

When we're walking in the hall, if someone starts talking, all I have to do is say, "Buckets!" and they know to stop talking because the key to their lips is in their bucket. Also, with both hands on their head, they are less likely to touch each other without me seeing and catching them beforehand.

I teach 2 1/2 and 3's, and I've found this works really well. We also rotate jobs every week so that everyone gets a chance at every job. Good luck!:)

12. Happy107

Happy107 Rookie

Oct 1, 2010

Bullentin Board Train

Hey!

I use a train with the engine and the caboose like everyone mentioned and rotate everyday. So the engine on Monday will be the caboose on Tuesday and everyone moves up a cart. . I started it on day one but i found that it really didn't work until I made an actual train and put it on the wall for the kids to see. I made little cards with their names and just move them up everyday. I also have "jobs" throughout the day based on where they are on the train. For example, the caboose always shuts off the radio. (completely eliminated the being last blues!!). The yellow cart may put my markers in their basket after a lesson while the green cart helps me carry things.

They also move their arms like wheels and softly say "chugga chugga choo choo" as we are walking to lunch etc. and this eliminated talking in the line because they are so busy being a train!!

13. Pre-K Teacher 1

Pre-K Teacher 1 Comrade

Dec 30, 2010

I stopped insisting that my class line up until just before the end of the year. I've never been big on lines! We just moved as a group. When I started doing this, I noticed that mine actually started lining up on their own.

I cringe when I hear and see teachers spending so much time on getting kids to line up. It's never been a big deal for me.

14. Sam Aye M

Sam Aye M Mr. Know-It-All

Dec 30, 2010

This is just my personal opinion, so take it for what it's worth (probably two cents), but we will probably end up spending a few years worth of time of our lives standing in lines. Wouldn't it be part of our jobs to teach our kids how to do it properly?

Don't get me wrong, if what you are doing works for you, then keep doing it. But it just leaves the teaching of standing in line to the next teacher down the line.

15. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

Dec 30, 2010

We don't really line up well either, so consequently I don't often have them do it. We do make the sitting lines that I wrote about earlier, but lining up for the sake of lining up we don't really do. Occasionally, in order to understand how to make a line and follow a leader we will make a "train" and play what is really follow the leader. I make all kinds of crazy trails and they have to do it. We practice this about one time a week. When we go into the big kid school (the elm school) we have a meeting about space and how it is in short supply in the big kid school - therefore please focus on lining up. They are excellent at it under that circumstance. I let them touch the wall on the right, provided there is no art on it. That is a rule that the kinder teacher has to un teach, but the lining up she is pleased with. So, I guess my advice to the OP is that I have decided to make lining up a skill we practice and use sparingly. I am not a big fan of it at all.

16. Pre-K Teacher 1

Pre-K Teacher 1 Comrade

Dec 30, 2010

The thing is, in my previous classes they would eventually start lining up on their own. What I'm saying is...it just happened naturally! As a teacher trainer, I've witnessed teachers spend upwards of 15 minutes to get kids to line up and end up with all sorts of unwanted behavior problems. Sometimes, its okay to go against the grain...

17. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Dec 30, 2010

I agree with Teacher. Lining up is not DAP. If possible, I move my kids as a group. I understand that lining up is the only way to move the kids in certain situations. As long as mine are quiet, they can walk as a group.

18. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

Dec 31, 2010

Whew, thanks Blue....I had a feeling the construct of the line was not as DAP as it could be. There are something things that are required out of respect....quiet, lack of pushing, lack of running and the like. But the construct of the line....is just that a construct.....that will be used in future grades. Whew. And yes Teacher....my kids due usually make a stellar line by the end of preschool and time to jump into Kinder. They totally get it, when they are ready. Perhaps the OP's group just isn't ready? I noticed that the OP posted a while a go...so maybe it is better by now?

19. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Dec 31, 2010

The rhyme I use:

My hands are by my sides
    I'm lined up straight and tall
    Mouths are closed, eyes look ahead
    Now I'm ready for the hall...

(even thrd graders need reminders):whistle:

20. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Dec 31, 2010

Sung to the tune of "The Farmer in the Dell" right???

Kira sings it all the time as she plays school.

21. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Dec 31, 2010

Wow, I've never sung it, but it fits! Thanks!

22. Cerek

Cerek Aficionado

Dec 31, 2010

Whole Brain Teaching

I had similar problems with our 3rd/4th graders lining up during Summer Camp. I finally decided to try the WBT techniques I had been reading about and researching. I spent 15 minutes explaining what the students needed to do and began practicing it. The students bought into it immediately!!!! By the second day, THEY were using the "Class, Yes" prompt themselves when it was time to line up.

I modified some of the techniques to fit lining up rather than sitting in the classroom. Our typical dialogue was something like this:

Me: "Class, Class"
    Class: "Yes, Yes"
    Me: "Eyes and Ears" (touching my eyes and ears with my hands)
    Class: "Eyes and Ears" (mimicking hand gestures)
    Me: (in a quieter tone) "Mouths are closed"
    Class: "Mouths are closed"

This eliminated talking in line, cutting or passing in line and arguing about who is lined up in front or behind a student. I used the dialogue after the students were already in line and we often ended up "assigning" each student a specific spot in line (which rotated) to eliminate whining about always being last, etc.

WBT can also be used to begin the process of lining up and could incorporate many of the other suggestions made in the thread so far. Here is a video showing WBT being used in a Kindergarten class.

Whole Brain Teaching: Kindergarten (Expanded)

It shows classroom management, activity exercises and transitions and how to use several WBT techniques in the classroom. The exercise for lining up doesn't occur until about 5:52 in the video, but the entire clip is worth watching (IMO, of course ;) ).

23. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jan 1, 2011

Oh, I certainly didn't come up with it; I've just heard Kira sing it soooo many times that I knew immediately what the tune was.

24. sarzacsmom

sarzacsmom Groupie

Jan 3, 2011

why not give them something to go by like a number line--each child can draw a number and go stand on the matching number--- you could use letters, numbers, colors--whatever--- and that is the order they stand in--