'the letter'

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by czacza, Aug 20, 2013.

1. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 20, 2013

I've read about 'the letter' on several friend's blogs today. In case you haven't heard, a Canadian couple with a child who is autistic received a hateful venomous letter in their mailbox complaining about the child. It's unbelievably venomous, small minded and horrible. The writer of the letter is a parent...some children grow up in such hate filled homes..I'm saddened by such intolerance.:(

Here's a link in case you havent heard about it...be forewarned that the letter is embedded in the article...

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/201...do-the-right-thing-and-move-or-euthanize-him/

3. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Aug 20, 2013

I don't even have words to respond to this. I can't fathom having that much hate. Something tells me her "normal" children, as she calls them, are going to be far from normal being raised by such a hateful, heinous mother.

4. Mrs.Giggles

Mrs.Giggles Companion

Aug 20, 2013

I saw that yesterday and my blood just began to boil. What a terrible, horrible, and pathetic person. I really feel bad for her children who will most likely take after their terrible mother.

5. stampin'teacher

stampin'teacher Cohort

Aug 20, 2013

I cried reading this letter. I hope that they can find whoever wrote this and somehow file charges-or at least maybe they'll realize what a cowardly act this is.

6. orangetea

orangetea Connoisseur

Aug 20, 2013

Ugh. :(

7. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Aug 20, 2013

Why doesn't the letter writer lend a hand since she has it all together with her kids!!!!:rolleyes:
    the only thing I could see is if the mother was not caring for her child which seems like a stretch since most parents of special needs childern almost over care for their kids :mad:

8. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Aug 20, 2013

Just like the other day a neighbor was complaining about a ramp for a child in a wheelchair how it was lowering the value of the homes in the area ......
    if the neighbor was so concerned about it, why not help build a great looking ramp so it was a credit to the Blankity blank neighborhood!

9. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Aug 20, 2013

:(

10. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 20, 2013

It made me ill to read that yesterday. The police have been involved, but all that has been said about that is that it isn't a hate crime.

11. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Aug 20, 2013

That is horrible.

12. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Aug 20, 2013

Digusting.

13. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Aug 20, 2013

Just when I thought it couldn't get more hateful, I kept reading. That letter is like a train wreck, you can't look away.

I hope the person that wrote that letter can find some peace, she's clearly very angry and misguided. As for the mother of the autistic child, I hope she can find it in her heart to forgive.

14. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Aug 20, 2013

Heaven forbid that gal or the families that want the wheelchair ramp gone have something traumatic happen to their own kids or themselves. Their perfect little world would come to an end.

It is sickening.

15. Aug 20, 2013

I don't understand how someone could feel that way about anyone, especially a child. :(

16. a2z

a2z Virtuoso

Aug 21, 2013

I'm not going to be on anyone's good side after this probably because of reading more into my idea than is actually there, but oh well.

The letter was horrible. It was wrong. It was over the top which is a strategy that some use to make a point.

The situation is terrible. This 13 year old boy's mother has MS. He is dropped off at his grandmother's house everyday in the summer to be cared for. The letter was given to this boy's grandmother where he is cared for during summer days.

If we look at some of content of the letter it claims he is outside every day wailing and not behaving in a socially appropriate manner, both of which can be believed knowing he has autism. Who knows if he is supervised or not, but it seems that if he is, it is not in a manner that is enough. I also believe based on the comment about the disability not being an excuse leads me to believe that there are problems happening with interactions that aren't being addressed.

I see this as an issue of a family under distress without adequate help and support. I see the neighbor as a very negative consequence and not appropriate way of handling the situation as an very bad unintended consequence of when a family that supports someone with a difficult disability does not get the necessary supports needed.

It is sad all around. It seems one family is trying to do its best while the other is dealing with a less than acceptable situation.

Let the flames begin.

17. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Aug 21, 2013

I think the more appropriate thing would have been to talk to the child's grandmother. It seems like he was not being supervised and the disturbance to the neighborhood was not his fault but the family's. Whatever the situation, he should not be left alone outside all day. I work with similar students and know how loud they can be. I don't think these children should be kept hidden inside all day but when their needs are addressed (he might have sensory issues, etc.) then the disturbances would probably lessen quite a bit.

18. a2z

a2z Virtuoso

Aug 21, 2013

Some of the wording of the letter makes me believe that it may have been addressed personally prior to the letter. As horrendous as this letter is, some of the contents make me feel as if something was said in the past and the disability was used as an excuse to not supervise properly.

Funny thing is the letter gave alternatives other than keeping the child inside or just letting him be out in one place all day. This is why I honestly believe that the child was placed in the care of the grandma who can't really handle his needs either.

As I said, this is sad all around.

19. Listlady

Listlady Companion

Aug 21, 2013

To me, the letter sounds as if it were written by a bunch of mean-spirited, sarcastic teenagers. Things like this are so disheartening. Imagine being the recipient of that letter and having to live in such a hostile environment!

20. orangetea

orangetea Connoisseur

Aug 21, 2013

What wording makes you believe that? THat's not really how I read it.

21. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Aug 22, 2013

I don't know about that. The letter sounds like it does have a kind of motherly tone about it. (not in a nice way)

22. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Aug 22, 2013

You may have a point there. IF the grandmother is not taking care of the child so that there is a minimum upheaval in the neighborhood then a nicer complaint could have been given. After all if a parent can't take care of a special needs child then others need to step in, Family, social services, etc.

23. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 22, 2013

I've read the letter a couple of times, and I don't see where the assumption is coming from that the boy is being unsupervised or not cared for properly.

24. Rabbitt

Rabbitt Connoisseur

Aug 22, 2013

Because the letter is unsigned, that shows the author knows the letter is wrong.

If the child was unsupervised or neglected, the author would have contacted police.

25. orangetea

orangetea Connoisseur

Aug 22, 2013

I agree. I think the neighbor was just mad because the noise the child was making was annoying her. With that kind of letter, I find it hard to believe she would actually care whether the child was being cared for well enough.

26. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 22, 2013

This "open letter" is in the news today; it's worth the read.

27. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Aug 22, 2013

Bravo to that mother, MrsC!

28. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Aug 22, 2013

This letter and the reply has me thinking

I do not want someone to tell me to be tolerant
    I want to be tolerant on my own

I never expected others to be tolerant of my ADHD son but I accepted it when they were, after all he is my son, my sacred duty is to take care of him, not anyone else's.

Now back to the %$@#(&^% Letter, I hope the letter writer's armpits will be infested with the fleas of a thousand camels!