The letter people

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by NEteacher99, Sep 3, 2007.

1. NEteacher99

NEteacher99 Rookie

Sep 3, 2007

After I student taught, I spent a semester as a para in a kindergarten classroom. they utilized the "letter people," which consisted to blow up people with large alphabet letters on their chests. Each week, there would be a knock at the door and "B"(or some other letter) would show up to the delight of the kids. I was amazed at how they showed up punctually every monday morning at 8:30 a.m. until I saw the principal place the letter folks there one day.:lol:

Anyone still use the letter people? Just curious. You can look at their official site here.

3. srh

srh Devotee

Sep 3, 2007

:-D No, but what a cute idea. Our curriculum (Houghton Mifflin) uses AlphaFriends, but they consist of a poster, cards, and music for each letter. No puppets or dolls. That would be fun, but I'd sure hate to store more stuff!!

4. starbucks

starbucks Comrade

Sep 3, 2007

I used the letter people the first two years I taught Kdg. (I am now on my 12th year). The kids loved them! We were using the old Letter People series. It was a little outdated for what is being taught in kindergarten today, but it was still cute. The kids definitely learned their letters and sounds. We had to get a program though, that focused more on reading and writing and not just letter recognition. The kindergaten staff wanted to look at the updated version of the Lettter People, but the district wanted us to adopt the reading series that the rest of the building was using. So sadly, the letter people are now back in Letter People Land (or my basement).

5. myKroom

myKroom Habitué

Sep 3, 2007

I learned the letter people when I was in Kinder AND I got to teach letter people last year...wow have they changed!! Last year was my first year teaching and the kids loved the letter people! It gives them a chance to use their imagination...we all know they don't use their imagination enough!!!

This year we are going to focus on our reading series so the letter people have gone into hiding! :( I'm kinda sad cause they are soooo much fun!! We are going to decide after this year which of the two series we should use!

6. oleander13

oleander13 New Member

Sep 3, 2007

Does anybody have an extra set of the huggable letter people, or one they are not using anymore? I would love to purchase them to use in my preschool program!!!

7. Janet Sue

Janet Sue Rookie

Sep 4, 2007

Hi everyone,

I had posted a question regarding the "Letter People" earlier this week. I received some great ideas and suggestions. THANKS!! My preschool has the "old version" of the "Letter People". I have color sheets for each letter and a cd with all the songs. I have been looking for craft ideas to go with each letter. I have received some great ideas in a past post. I too, am looking to purchase the story books and blow ups that go with the "old original version". I did check on Ebay and found that some of the books are available, but the prices are RIDICULOUS!! I can't afford to spend $20 or more on each individual book! For those of you that used the storybooks, what did you think of them? They look cute!!

8. Billy--

Billy-- Rookie

May 29, 2012

I'm still looking for some Letter People Huggables :p Would love a message from someone if they can help me get some~!