The Letter People

Discussion in 'Early Childhood Education Archives' started by Guest, May 28, 2003.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

May 28, 2003

Does anyone have the ORIGINAL set of the Letter People that they are not using? The four K teachers use them and we are getting a new teacher next year.

THANX!

3. ice

ice Rookie

May 29, 2003

letter people

Is that the set of books, spriral bound, one for each letter? Each book is about a different letter. Can't even think of a single name of the characters right now! Anyway, you touch the dots at the bottom of the page? If it is, I can look and see what I have. I may have them in storage.

4. sallyrally

sallyrally Guest

May 29, 2003

I taught 3rd grade for 3 years and now I am going to teach Kindergarten in the Fall. I have been researching this age group through Kindergarten sites. I haven't heard of Letter People. What are they and do I need them? How do you get them?

5. Tara19

Tara19 Companion

May 29, 2003

I have never heard of them either... I teach pre-school and would it be somethign I could use to kind of get them ready for K?

6. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

May 29, 2003

Oh, my gosh when I found out that the K in the school I went to wasn't using the letter people any more I was BUMMED!!!! I remember being in K and waiting for the next Letter to come. There was a record or story that went along with each blown up letter person. We had a shelf in the front of the class that we would set them on!!!! I loved the letter people!!!! Is there any place you can get them?!?

7. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

May 29, 2003

You will never believe.... the letter people have a website.

www.letterpeople.com

Sorry Links Lady.... found it while surfing!!!

8. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

May 29, 2003

LOL. :) no prob! It's nice to see people out there surfing the net. :)

Are these the letter people that used to be on PBS a long time ago? Puppets for each letter of the alphabet or something totally different?

Lori

9. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

May 29, 2003

I didn't think they were still being used... I remember the Letter People from way back when I was in Kindergarten! I loved those guys! :) We did SO MUCH STUFF with them... :)

10. Brenda S.

Brenda S. Comrade

May 30, 2003

Our school started using them two year's ago. My son was in that class. He really loved them. In fact, that was all he wanted for Christmas that year! There are different levels. Our pre-K also teaches with them. That is the kindergarten class I am going to teach next year.

11. Seich30

Seich30 Comrade

May 30, 2003

I received info in the mail recently about them and check it out on their website. I remember them from my own kindergarten days. Would love them--pricey--unless school money.

12. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

May 30, 2003

Lori,
    I believe those are the same people. I was surfing different sites about them and they did have a TV show, songs of course. They are pricey, but would be great. I mean if all of us still remember them they must've made some sort of impact.

****Does anyone remember Picture Pages with Bill Cosby?!? My mom bought us the books to do in the summer!!!****:)

13. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

May 30, 2003

OH MY YES!!! Picture pages, picture pages, time to get your picture pages, time to get your pencil and your crayon... I think I just showed my age... LOL. Goodness... I can't believe I just remembered that line! Picture pages and Captain Kangaroo. I loved those! Here's another one... Electric Company! Morgan Freedman, Rita Moreno, back in the 70's with the polyester suits and such... LOL Of course I grew up on all of those and Sesame Street. Then there was 3-2-1 Contact, too.

Lori

14. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

May 31, 2003

I remember Picture Pages. :) Mom and dad always refused to actually buy them for us, but my brother and I always used to watch Bill Cosby mesmerized. :)

I remember watching Electric Company (mom gives it a LOT of credit for teaching me to read; says my brother didn't watch it and you can tell), Seseme Stree, 3-2-1 Contact, and my favorite, Square One TV... that was a math show, my fav. segment was Mathnet. :)

15. Guest

Guest Guest

May 31, 2003

I CAN"T BELIEVE you still use the LETTER PEOPLE!! We've learned so much about reading and how children learn in the last thirty years!!!! Letter People copyrighted in 1972.....

16. Guest

Guest Guest

Jun 1, 2003

Re: letter people

Thank you...but the Letter People are inflatable, 3 feet tall. Miss A is Miss Achoo...Mr. B. has Beautiful Buttons, etc. They are ancient, but like I said, the kids adore them! Thanks for checking though!