The Letter People

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by Lumi, Oct 8, 2013.

1. Lumi

Lumi Companion

Oct 8, 2013

After a three year hiatus from teaching, during which I have gone back to school, spent hundreds of dollars on books and classes to try to get an education in a different field (healthcare) , then realizing that I could never love my job in healthcare as a surgical tech as much as I love teaching, I have decided to drop out of my university program and go back to my first love, teaching.

I quit my program about a month ago, took some time off and started looking for a job. Today I got hired at a very good private educational preschool for a part time afternoon position teaching three year olds. All of my preschool experience has been with four, five and six year olds so it will be an adjustment working with the younger ones. But my question is about the curriculum the preschool uses, The Letter People. I am familiar with this program only in that I've heard of it. At my previous preschool we used Frog Street Press. I did a bit of checking into the Letter People and it seems the songs are old and much more complicated and I wondered how young children could make meaningful connections with songs that are wordy and have melodies that aren't familiar to them? I would like to know if anyone uses this curriculum or has any experience with it and how is it used with three year olds? I loved Frog Street Press and when I asked the director about it she told me it was too cutesy and simplistic and the Letter People is much more advanced academically. I'd love to hear some input about this curriculum. I'm very excited about this new job and I want to learn all I can about this new curriculum and figure out how I can make the best of it. Thanks!

3. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Oct 8, 2013

The Letter People! Love! I remember them well from kindergarten in the late 80s. Sorry...I know that's not helpful, but I had to share. :)

ETA: And congrats, by the way!

4. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Oct 8, 2013

Oh My Gosh LOVED letter people...except we had them in K!!! Our teacher would make a big deal one of the new letter people joined the class!!! I don't remember all the details (80s kid here), but I know we all sat on the carpet & she would play the song on the record player!!!!

5. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Oct 8, 2013

Letters for 3 year olds. Not developmentally appropriate.

6. teachinnola

teachinnola Rookie

Oct 8, 2013

I loved the letter people! I remember so many of the songs, but I was in kindergarten as well.

7. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

Oct 9, 2013

Letter people were in our public library to check out....my 3's loved them. I remember singing song of them in lower grades. Blue is right, alphabet in general isn't dev appropriate for lil folks...but sometimes is required by admin of your own work. Keep it light, keep it fun and advocate for the kids being appropriately educated.

8. Lumi

Lumi Companion

Oct 9, 2013

Thanks for the heads up on the fact that this curriculum may not be developmentally appropriate for three year olds. This preschool is considered an "academic preschool" so I was told that three year olds are learning what four year olds learn in most other preschools and their kindergarten curriculum is really first grade stuff. I suggested that maybe Frog Street Press would be more appropriate (okay I'm biased because I used that curriculum for 7 years at my previous preschool) but I was told that it's too cutesy and TLP is more academic.

But, the director did say it is all presented in a developmentally appropriate way - by learning through play, and I'm assuming with consideration taken to the attention span of three year olds. So I don't want to rush to judgement in their use of it until I actually get in there to see what they're doing with it. It may be simple enough that the three year olds are only exposed to the letters through the singing of the songs and playing with the puppets. In that case I would think that it would be no different than watching something like Sesame Street. My kids were learning about letters and numbers when they were three so I definitely think that it's something that some children can handle.

Also, I will have these kiddos in the afternoon and I'm only expected to figure out a couple of activities that reinforce whatever the morning teachers are teaching, so I wouldn't be responsible for trying to teach them the whole curriculum.

9. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Oct 9, 2013

Don't get me started on Sesame Street. But, I do like Mr. Rogers.