The Letter People Program

Discussion in 'Early Childhood Education Archives' started by cjpjd, Jul 10, 2006.

1. cjpjd

cjpjd Rookie

Jul 10, 2006

Does anyone use the letter people program. I have used it for the past 2 years and am looking to improve the way I teach it. I use the books, inflatable letter people, the me bag and the music cassette. We are limited on time for reading class and I feel like I could be doing a lot more than that. I know that that the children are learning the letter sounds and letter recoginition, but I am looking for more ideas. We also have the children all take home a 12 inch letter to decorate with pictures or items that begin with that letter. We also brain storm and make a list on the large tablet and count home many words we can come up with that begin with that letter. Does anyone have any suggestions to help me improve my reading program???
    thanks

3. Tbug

Tbug Companion

Jul 10, 2006

Yes...I also use the letter people program, but in my K class. It seems like you're doing plenty of phonics and phonemic awareness activities already! I use the books for a hunting activity where the kids find all of the specific words we are working on that week and color over them with yellow to highlight them. Maybe you could do the same but with the letter of the week? I also try to have an arts and crafts project to go with the letter of the week, like create and decorate an umbrella when Ms. U came or cut and paste pictures of food they like to eat on a paper plate when Mr. M came. And when Ms. F (I think it was F?!) came, we learned about the farm and names for baby animals. They also like to try and guess what the letter person arrived to school on (Ms. A came on an airplane), but this sometimes gets tricky! Good luck!