The Leaves!

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Ms.Jasztal, Sep 15, 2008.

1. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Sep 15, 2008

Well, my class so far has received leaves from NY, KS, CT, and MA. I had made a post about 2-3 weeks ago seeking leaves from different regions of the USA. The leaves are GORGEOUS; thank you! Posting the idea on here was one of the best I could have made.

Thank you, thank you, thank you.

Hescollin, I LOVED that you sent your leaves in a band-aid box. I had this poker face on because I thought the package had something of an odd shape, and then when I cut the front part off, I saw the band-aid box underneath!!! :lol: My kids LOVED the one brown leaf you sent with the seeds.

Okay, I have a question for everyone....
    How can I explain to my kids why trees are different (or similar for the NY, MA, and CT leaves) amongst the regions of the United States? Why do some trees grow in places and not in others? Where do these leaves get these intriguing shapes from?

Thank you again, and I appreciate your help. My tree-I.Q. is kind of low.

3. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Sep 15, 2008

There are different climate conditions in each part of the country. If you get the little plastic thing that goes in plants to tell you how to take care of your plant or some empty seed packages, maybe they can observe how different plants need different types of soil and climate conditions. That's about as far as my tree-I.Q. will take me. I'm sure yours is smarter than mine.

P.S. I forgot all about your leaves! Oops.

4. frogger

frogger Devotee

Sep 15, 2008

If you want some from the SE I can get some here in NC and send them to you! PM me the address and I will go and get them and if I know what kind of tree it is I can write it down as well.

5. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Sep 15, 2008

You should be getting leaves from NE pretty soon!

6. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Sep 18, 2008

YES! I got from Runsw/scissors. :) I have five states now.

I like how you wrote yours on the nice yellow notes and attached the leaves.

Here's the address again-
    Moton Elementary School
    c/o Ms. Jasztal's Fourth Grade
    7175 Emerson Road
    Brooksville, FL 34601

7. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Sep 18, 2008

I think because of communicating with cool classes across the country, I'll be giving ten challenge words for five weeks on spelling where they'll have to spell the names of the fifty STATES!!! :woot:

8. deserttrumpet

deserttrumpet Comrade

Sep 19, 2008

Okay, I just dropped off some leaves from the mountains of Arizona. I wish I had noticed your request earlier, I could have gotten some leaves from the desert. Hope your class enjoys!

9. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Sep 19, 2008

I wasn't sure if you wanted only native plants or leaves from any plants in the area, so I thought I better specify.

10. Samothrace

Samothrace Cohort

Sep 19, 2008

If they don't understand the weather conditions part (having never been there) you might compare trees to animals. Kids have a natural way of getting on with animals. That some animals only live in the cold/warm etc.

And just on a really geeky side note...I had to do this really crazy leaf project when I was in highschool. It was loads of work but I really had fun doing it! The kids would be really amazed by this. Most people when they think of a tree leaf they think of a single leaf like a maple or oak or whatever. There are trees that have compound leaves.

http://www.sbs.utexas.edu/bio406d/images/pics/fab/S.herbacea.leaves1.JPG

for a lack of a better way to desribe it. If you go to the link, the top branch is actually one leaf because of the way they grow together with the small stems joing in the middle. :D

11. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Sep 19, 2008

This sounds ignorant (slightly), but why are some leaves so much larger than others? Especially from the north? ... Sorry for my low tree I.Q.

12. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Sep 20, 2008

I am guessing here, but I think it has something to do with needing more surface area to collect precious sunlight. This doesn't seem to be entirely correct though, because palm leaves (tropical and close the equator) have enormous leaves.

13. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Sep 20, 2008

I know the larger the leaf, the more surface area, that's true. Yet however, why are some so much larger in the first place?

I wasn't even thinking about palm trees when I originally wrote that (possibly) dumb thought... (Slaps forehead)

14. hescollin

hescollin Fanatic

Sep 20, 2008

I used a band aid box because that is what I could find that was about the size I was wanting.

I was helping my husband load up some seed wheat to get cleaned and I noticed the cottonwood tree leaves are turning yellow and falling, so I'll be sending some leaves from our state tree. They also have interesting seed pods. Small green pods and when they break open it looks like tiny bits of cotton floating in the air.

15. hescollin

hescollin Fanatic

Sep 21, 2008

leaves

How do I post and move this thread back to top of the threads? Maybe if more read your request you'd get more leaves.

16. KateL

KateL Habitué

Sep 21, 2008

Large leaves do have more surface area for collecting sunlight. However, large leaves also lose more water, so plants in dry places usually have small leaves (or no leaves, like cacti). And some plants have large leaves because of their species' evolutionary history - their ancestors grew in a place where large leaves were an advantage, and there hasn't been enough genetic variation in leaf size to evolve back to small leaves.

17. deserttrumpet

deserttrumpet Comrade

Sep 21, 2008

KateL is right - plants are always fighting a battle between sunlight at water. Trees need water to do photosynthesis. To do photosynthesis the trees need sunlight and carbon dioxide. However, there are small holes in the leaves (called stomata) where carbon dioxide enters and water is lost through. Side Note: This is good, because it pulls more water out of the soil (like a straw). Plants that live where there is an abundance of water have no problem balancing the need for carbon dioxide with the need for water – consequently they have larger leaves. Plants found in dryer climates tend to have smaller leaves. This leaves less surface area for water lose. These leaves also tend to be angled so as to not take full advantage of the sun (and consequently lose less water). Also, leaves in dry areas will often be waxy to help prevent water lose. (Other leaves are really modified, like the cactus: its leaves are the spines – though some produce normal leaves).

Another neat trick desert plants can do is use an alternative form of photosynthesis. Cacti, for example, use CAM photosynthesis, which allows the plant to collect CO2 during the night (when it is cooler) and then will close its stomata’s during the day and collect sunlight. It is useful in preserving water – consequence is the plant grows slowly.

18. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Sep 21, 2008

The leaves are beginning to change here as well! I will try to send some soon. I'm just worried they will arrive and be nothing but brown dust.

19. hescollin

hescollin Fanatic

Sep 21, 2008

I sent green leaves and put them in a small box. I thought the box would help protect them. I covered two green and two yellow cottonwood leaves with contact paper also sent two green and two yellow ones. The last ones I put in an envelope, so it will be interesting to know what shape they arrive in.

20. ozteach

ozteach Comrade

Sep 22, 2008

Australian gum trees have fairly small leaves - around 3in long and 1 in wide. They are not deciduous and are not really a bright green, more of a grey/green/blue. That is because we have a hot, dry climate - longest drought in a hundred years right now, but our gum leaves stay put!

look at this ghost gum:
    http://www.geocities.com/athens/delphi/2970/e_papuan.htm

21. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Sep 22, 2008

I hope you've gotten my leaves by now!

22. LakeSophie

LakeSophie Comrade

Sep 23, 2008

I'd offer tree leaves, but, well.. I'm in Florida too.. I'm sure you can find a live oak on the gulf coast as well as I can in central fl. :)