The latest thing to come down the pike.

Discussion in 'General Education' started by swansong1, Nov 10, 2010.

1. Muttling

Muttling Devotee

Nov 18, 2010

Physical disabilities aren't nearly as much a problem for me as are mental disabilities. My school has the county's only self contained SPED class and brings the most severely disabled to our school.

I currently have an inclusion class where 1 SPED teacher sits with 3 severely disabled students in the back of the room working with them. It is insanely disruptive to the education of the regular ed students in that room.

I understand their disabilities and their needs to be served, but it's hard for me to teach and hard for my students to learn when I have a group doing something completely different in the room. What's more, she is in a constant struggle trying to get them to understand that it's not appropriate to make noises when a teacher is instructing.

The SPED teacher does an outstanding job and works very hard, but you can't prevent a child from disrupting the learning when the child doesn't understand that it's not appropriate to start slapping the table loudly when he's not getting the level of attention that he wants. (If you want other examples of disruptions, I have a long list that I can provide and it is a daily occurrence in the class that I'm referring to.)

My regular ed students are really great about the situation and work hard to deal with it. I'm quite impressed with how today's kids treat the disabled, it's FAR better than when I was a kid and better than many adults. This said, it's pretty oblivious to say that this level of inclusion isn't harming my regular ed students.