The Lap Band

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Sheila, May 9, 2011.

1. Sheila

Sheila Comrade

May 9, 2011

I am seriously considering this. Does anyone have this or a family member or friend who does?
    Any advice good or bad welcomed.

3. Blue

Blue Aficionado

May 9, 2011

I am not sure which one my friend had, but she said she would not do it again. I went out to dinner with her, and she took 2 bites and had to run to the restroom. She was unable to eat her dinner. I am not sure what the issue was.

Good for you for asking around. I hope more A to Zers can offer advice.

4. Major

Major Connoisseur

May 9, 2011

I know about a lap dance......... but what is a lap band?...

5. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

May 9, 2011

Sheila, I know several people who have had this done. The progress was in general much slower than anticipated and there are some definite complications/annoyances. I know what Blue is speaking of...those I know well who have had this done throw up constantly—literally every day, and only after eating very small portions.

6. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

May 9, 2011

My neighbor had it done. She had the side effects mentioned, but did lose lots of weight. Unfortunately, she is now gaining it back. Unless you are able to change your lifestyle and eating habits permanently, there may not be a positive outcome.

7. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

May 9, 2011

I haven't heard good things about the lap band. A lot of people I know who have it or that I have seen on tv have gained weight back later and are miserable.

Another teacher I know had the full blown surgery and she said upon doing extensive research she felt like it is the better choice. BUt even with that I have seen people gain the weight back.

I have done some research on both and I would never do it.

8. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

May 9, 2011

I have a friend who got it done. She got a really bad infection and had to have it removed. She was in the hospital for a while. She lost weight, but I wouldn't recommend it after seeing what happened.

9. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

May 9, 2011

Funny, major!
    http://www.lapband.com/en/home/

My colleage had one...she was constantly having the tightness adjusted...she has a psychological addiction of sorts to food...a very very emotional eater...it didn't work for her.:(

10. Major

Major Connoisseur

May 9, 2011

Never heard of it, cza....... Sounds complicated ....

11. TeacherApr

TeacherApr Groupie

May 9, 2011

I spoke to a surgeon one time about this and she said if she could make the choice she would NOT EVER perform this surgery ever again. Nothing but bad things. AND you aren't TAUGHT how to eat so you gain all your weight back.

Remember, there are NO quick fixes.

12. moonbeamsinajar

moonbeamsinajar Habitué

May 9, 2011

I know 6 people who have had this done. Three had lost lots of weight, but have gained it all back. The others have only had it done recently. All 6 have had complications of some sort or another that turned out to be serious. Two had hernias after the surgery that needed to be repaired, and one developed a severe infection and was seriously ill for about 4 months.

13. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

May 9, 2011

Whether one is given proper education and support pre and post-surgery depends upon the docotor and/or facility.

I know there are local support groups for those who have had this procedure done...I've noticed the dates in the newspaper's community calendar.

14. moonbeamsinajar

moonbeamsinajar Habitué

May 9, 2011

I could stand to lose weight myself. My problem is that I eat for lots of reasons, most of which have nothing to do with being hungry. If I only ate when I was hungry, I would not be overweight. My thinking is that unless I could fix the underlying problems that make me overeat, I would probably either gain it back or substitute something else for the food. :(

15. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

May 9, 2011

I will be getting the Lap band soon
    I am 6 months into the program
    Getting used to the change in eating (lifestyle) is the hard part
    I think I will be having the procedure end of summer or fall
    You need to go through counseling (I it is a requirement of my program)
    You have to remember that a total meal CANNOT be larger than your fist (a tight fist) and you need to behave like you have acid reflex.
    Since I became disabled my activity has lessen so 3 doctors have recommended the procedure

16. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

May 9, 2011

moonbeams, that has happened with many patients—they've substituted their addiction to food with something else equally if not more damaging. I believe it was on Oprah a few years ago, a woman who had never drank (never ever, zero) became an alcoholic after the procedure.

You have to do research, homework, demonstrate an understanding of the process and committment required, and as Dave said, receive counseling because it is so often about more than just food.

Best wishes, Dave. It can be done. :)

17. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

May 9, 2011

I am working on some demons that make me eat too much so I am on track.
    maybe I can become addicted to cleaning up the house, Terri would like that

18. PCdiva

PCdiva Connoisseur

May 9, 2011

I know one person who was successful...about 23 at the time and had 200 lbs to lose. (This was 8 years ago, I think because she was younger and it was newer, she was really educated on the process and was couseled on it so she knew it was not a quick fix ad it was a lifestyle change...bc of this I think she was sucessful)

My aunt about 50 yrs, lost the weight, threw up every time she ate, stretched the band and gained all the weight back plus some and is still throwing up if she eats things like rice and this is over a year later.

Friends husband just had it done about 5 months ago, has lost 80 lbs and wearing a size 33 pants, still loosing weight.....but eats bad-3 pieces of pizza the other day...the one good thing is now he goes to the gym 3 times a week where before he didn't at all.

and I've heard mostly bad things from other acquaintances....the bottom line is, its not a quick fix

19. Blue

Blue Aficionado

May 9, 2011

What else have you tried? Have you tried Weight Watchers, going to a gym, Nutrasystem?

20. TeacherApr

TeacherApr Groupie

May 9, 2011

How in the world can a baseball sized amount of food per meal possibly be HEALTHY for you? Your body is not receiving the needed amount of calories. Sorry but that's not a healthy lifestyle change.

Sure, it "can" be done. An old retail manager of mine lost 200 lbs from it and is now anorexic...yep, it can be done.

21. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

May 9, 2011

People who have this procedure and procedures like it are encouraged to take supplements and vitamins and to eat foods that are high in protein. The excess fat that's already in the body will provide the other energy that normally comes from calories. At least that's my understanding.

Patients who have lapband and gastric bypass-type procedures are closely monitored by their doctors. This isn't some sort of fad diet that was made up by a random person on the street.

22. TeacherApr

TeacherApr Groupie

May 10, 2011

Never said it was a fad diet.

23. nklauste

nklauste Comrade

May 10, 2011

24. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

May 10, 2011

I guess my problem with it is you can have the surgery and be encouraged to eat certain foods, or you can not have the surgery and be encouraged to eat certain foods. If I am not going to do it before surgery, why would I do it after? Like others have said, I don't eat because I am hungry - it's because I think I will like the taste and the satisfaction the food will give me.

25. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

May 10, 2011

Never said you did. I was commenting on your comment that it didn't seem like it could be healthy. In fact many healthcare professionals do believe that it is healthier than the alternative.

26. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

May 10, 2011

I think that makes sense, and it's something I've wondered about too. I guess maybe the negative side effects from eating too much or eating the wrong foods might be enough of a deterrent to some people to avoid those things.

I guess it's also possible that it could be similar to asking a pack-a-day smoker to suddenly drop down to one cigarette per day. That's not really something that a nicotine addict can just do, otherwise they probably would have done it already.

The fact is that the surgery does work for some people. It obviously doesn't work for everyone, but that doesn't mean that it's inherently bad. It's maybe just a bad fit with some people's personalities, behaviors, tendencies, and predispositions towards food.

27. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

May 10, 2011

I had the lapband almost 3 years ago. I lost 80 pounds before I started having complications. I still have about 40 pounds to lose, and haven't been able to lose it. I have maintained my 80 pound weight loss, and look a lot better than I used to.

I puke practically every day like a bulimic because there are things I can't keep down. It's not certain foods, or I would avoid them. It could be anything... yesterday it was tuna salad, which is soft, so there is no reason that should be happening.

Now, some people don't have any complications. I did have them, and it hindered my weight loss. I can't have any restriction. When I do, I vomit EVERYTHING I try to eat. My band is still there, so I can eat about half as much as most people.... when I focus on losing weight, I lose faster than most people. About 4 pounds a week. However, like a lot of fat people, I have other issues that keep me from just losing the weight.

But guess what... I would do it again. Before I got the lapband, I was desperate for something. I was single, lonely. I was depressed. I am no longer any of those things. Having it done and losing the 80 pounds brought me my life back. I can MOVE now. I can exercise. I was so stuck in my rut, nothing could seem to get me out of it. Since then, I have grown so much! I learned how to exercise and how to have relationships with people...

Anyway, really, really, really carefully look at what the complications could be and if you can stand them.

28. Kindergarten31

Kindergarten31 Cohort

May 10, 2011

I just had this conversation with a friend who I hadn't seen in a while. She had the lap band done and has lost quite a bit of weight, but when I asked her if she would do it again, she said no. She also had a bad infection and was in the hospital for almost a week. She can't eat hardly anything and has gone back to get it adjusted several times. She hates to eat out because she can't eat and she feels sick most of the time when she does eat. I have thought about it, but after talking to her, probably not.

29. nontradguy

nontradguy Rookie

May 10, 2011

Warning: I have it and I lost 120lbs, so I'm a little biased...lol. I'd also like to get out there that the lap-band isn't just a tool to make someone skinny for superficial reasons. Most people out there who get them, do it to SAVE THEIR LIVES.

I can appreciate people's negative opinions about the lap-band, but here's the thing. It's a tool, not a miracle worker. Also, it involves surgery and implantation of something in your upper abdomen with staples. You are DEFINITELY taking a risk. Here's the key thing here, though: You're 400lbs or something and you're type II diabetic. Is a lap-band worth saving your life? Yeah, I think so.

What about those people who are disabled and can't exercise? Is a little help in keeping their weight under control a bad thing?

For the record, I'm not saying that weight loss surgery is always the right way to go, but I'll tell you that after you've done it yourself and you shadow bariatric surgeons that see patients every single day that averted an premature death because they got weight loss surgery of some sort, you start to see that the rewards FAR outweigh the risks. :)

Just my .02, though. :thumb:

30. math1abee

math1abee Companion

May 10, 2011

My coworker's daughter has a lap band. It has sliced into her stomach and is causing internal bleeding. She was hospitalized and on a feeding tube and NG tube for 2 weeks. Her stomach is destroyed and she is in horrible pain. Before this happened she never ate and when she did she just threw up. She did all the research and knew the risks. She did lose a ton of weight though.
    Just an experience but it was and still is a very scary situation for her and her daughter.

31. porque_pig

porque_pig Comrade

May 10, 2011

I know two people who have had some type of bariatric weight-loss surgery (I'm not sure if it was LapBand or the regular bypass surgery). One of these people has done remarkably well. The other was in a coma for quite some time after the surgery. Both ultimately lost a lot of weight, but one nearly died in the process.

I know that some people say that the surgery is an attempt to save a life, but surgery in and of itself is risky, and this particular type of surgery is known for being perilous. If there is a non-invasive way to experience this kind of weight loss (e.g. major changes to diet and regular exercise), I think it would be preferable. But if you have tried everything and nothing has worked, consider bariatric surgery with the understanding that it is very risky and sometimes causes more profound health problems than obesity itself.

32. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

May 10, 2011

I would think that it would be fair to say that most people who decide to undergo bariatric surgery have exhausted all other options.

33. Major

Major Connoisseur

May 10, 2011

I would hope so, Caesar ........ Before this thread I had never heard of this procedure. It sounds very drastic to me.

34. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

May 10, 2011

My first wife was a nurse on the Hospital floor that had all of the Gastric Bypass surgeries and she gave me a detail play by play of what they go through...
    ... so that is why I chose the lap band.

Here is what it does all the nerves that single you are full are in the upper part of the stomach so besides cutting down the quantity of food it also signals your brain you are full.
    [​IMG]
    the pouch is exaggerated in the drawing

35. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

May 10, 2011

Good site BUT it was very negative toward Lap Band

36. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

May 10, 2011

My Dad had Gastric surgery because of ulcers his stomach was much smaller because of it, so he was very skinny

37. Sheila

Sheila Comrade

May 10, 2011

Thank you for all the responses. I have tried everything else and no success. I have type 2 diabetes and am 150 pounds overweight. As I said I am considering it. The throwing up part does disturb me a bit but I want to be able to do things again. Next Thursday I meet with a counselor to discuss the emotional aspect of it. I am not expecting a quick fix.

38. nklauste

nklauste Comrade

May 10, 2011

Reading through the intro-type posts, there are a bunch on that site that have had the Lap Band and it didn't work and they are now going back to have RNY done.