the kids are unkind to each other

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by Miller59, Sep 27, 2009.

1. Miller59

Miller59 Companion

Sep 27, 2009

I'm in a new school with a a group of 7. Five of the 7 were in this pre-k class together last year. Over the past few weeks the kids have been getting very snippy with each other and even bordering on unkind.

We have a class promise that the kids wrote them selves. It's very basic - Talk nicely. Touch Nicely. etc.... I remind them of the promise and have children repeat things and talk nicely as in the promise. I respond each and every time there is a snippy voice or comment, but I am not feeling very effective.

I sure could use some help in thinking of some new ways to respond to these behaviors.

I do need to also say that this is a good group of kids. I know it doesn't sound like it, but they are sweet and do spend a lot of time playing very well with each other.

TIA

3. tiffharmon2001

tiffharmon2001 Comrade

Sep 27, 2009

Have you ever done the crumpled heart activity?

Cut out a big red heart. At circle time, talk about it-how nice and smooth it is, etc. Talk about our "hearts", not the real thing, but our feelings. Give some examples of the unkind words you have heard them say to each other. Each time you say something unkind, crumple up the heart a little more. Sometimes I even have the kids come up with examples of unkind words. Remind them that unkind words hurt our "hearts". Once it's all crumpled, have them each take a turn to say "I'm sorry" as you smooth the heart out. Point out that even though it's no longer crumpled, some of the wrinkles are still there-once we say unkind words, we can't take them back-I've even put band-aids on mine, but I still can't make it brand new again. Hang the heart up in your room and point it out to children when you hear unkind things. Sometimes a visual reminder helps them remember to be careful with their words.

4. missk83

missk83 Companion

Sep 27, 2009

I love the crumpled heart activity!

I dont teach pre-school, but every year I read "Have You Filled a Bucket Today?"

Its a great book, and puts bullying/being unkind into a concept kids can handle (we all have buckets, when we are kind, they are filled, when we are unkind, they empty out)

After I read it, I give each kid in my rooma bucket to empty, and the kids can put kind words into each other's bucket.

I reference a lot throughout the year as well

5. tiffharmon2001

tiffharmon2001 Comrade

Sep 27, 2009

Love the bucket idea! I need to look for that book.

6. Miller59

Miller59 Companion

Sep 27, 2009

Oh thanks for these ideas. I think I'll try the heart idea and I'm off to amazon to look at Have You Filled a Bucket Today?

I really appreciate being able to come here and ask for help!