The kid who doesn't care

Discussion in 'Middle School / Junior High' started by mmswm, Jan 30, 2008.

1. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Jan 30, 2008

What do you do with the smart kid who just doesn't care? I have this kid who's really very bright. He usually scores in the top two or three on exams and quizzes and is almost always the first one done with in class assignments. My problem with him is that he just doesn't care enough to do ANY work outside of class. He has never turned in a homework assignment or a project and as a result is recieving a D in my class. I have talked to him, I have talked to his mom (who cares even less than her son...the joys of inner city schools), but I just can't seem to find the magic button with this kid. Any ideas?

3. Bernard

Bernard Companion

Jan 30, 2008

Are you sure the "I don't care" attitude isn't a bluff?
    He may have an afterschool environment that is not conducive to homework, or where he may actually be ridiculed for studying.
    He may feel like he's not going to even bother instead of trying and not being able to succeed.
    If he didn't care at all, why would he work hard in class? I've known kids who just sleep or doodle in class.

4. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Jan 30, 2008

Have you forced him to go to study hall? Or mandatory detention until the work gets turned in? What exactly has his mom said about the matter?

5. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Jan 31, 2008

To answer all the replies...I'm not sure the attitude isn't a bluff, I'm pretty sure the environment at home isn't at all conducive to learning, I'm pretty sure he knows he can succeed because he does well on exams and in class assignments so I'm just at a loss to think of what might work to get him going. Tami, we don't have study hall, and recess detention is only 30 minutes (I have gotten some assignments, but other teachers want their homework too). His mom told me that she couldn't make her kid do anything he didn't want to do (ummm, then what is a parent supposed to do?), but I'm pretty sure she was high every time I talked to her. Dad is not in the picture.

I'm really frustrated because this kid COULD succeed and actually make something of his life. He's got the brains to do it, but, as of yet, not the desire.

6. Bernard

Bernard Companion

Jan 31, 2008

I didn't catch his age, but do you know of any local resources for hooking this kid up with a mentor? It could help with his homework issues and have an impact in his life that might get him on the path to being that kid who makes it.

7. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Jan 31, 2008

7th grade. I didn't think of the mentor thing, I'll have to look into that...it may help him. Thanks:)

8. MsTeacher98

MsTeacher98 Companion

Feb 1, 2008

Are you willing/able to stay after extra hours? Maybe you can offer him a "job" helping out after school and getting his homework done when you don't need much help around the classroom. In exchange, you can find some opportunity or freedom at school that he may enjoy (computer time during lunch or some sort) I guess that basicaly just turns you into his mentor. Never mind!:blush:

9. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Feb 1, 2008

okay, I posted a response but it didn't show up:unsure: MsTeacher, I actually kind of like that idea. He walks home and may be able to stay during the 45 minutes-hour that I stay after school.

10. MsTeacher98

MsTeacher98 Companion

Feb 2, 2008

Good luck, I'd like to hear an update when you have one!

11. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Feb 2, 2008

Perhaps there is a home problem of some sort; no time because he's babysitting younger ones? No school supplies at home? I don't know; just a couple of thoughts.

12. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Feb 2, 2008

MsTeacher, I will update you when/if I can. Thanks for the suggestions. Teachersandra, that's a possibility I had thought of, but what do you do if that's the case?

13. Mrs LC

Mrs LC Comrade

Feb 2, 2008

If he's the first one finished, can you give him homework assignments early, so that he may work on them in class while the others are still doing class work?

I've heard of families where kids are ridiculed for studying - this parents sounds like she could do this. It could explain his reluctance to work anywhere but school.