The Job Hunt is Depressing - Out of State!? Help!

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by mrs-j, Jul 22, 2013.

1. mrs-j

mrs-j Rookie

Jul 22, 2013

Every day, I apply for jobs. I've applied to nearly 100 jobs, and only had 4 in person interviews (6 phone interviews.) None of them have resulted in a position. Every day, my email is filled with rejection letters. I am trying to stay positive, and trying not to let the job hunt get the best of me. But, I cannot survive and support my family on a substitute teacher's salary, and the thought of having to for another year, while paying off my student loans is seriously SCARY! :help:

I'm considering applying out of state. Currently, I'm in Michigan, but I have NO IDEA where to begin with the out of state job hunt. There are no career fairs coming up, and that's where everyone tells me to begin. Any advice?

3. CreativeTeachR

CreativeTeachR Companion

Jul 22, 2013

At this point in the summer it's going to be difficult to apply out of state as applying for certification in another state takes months! I just did this for FL I am living in CT! It took over a month to get the letter and now they are starting school in a few weeks! and to top it off every school district wants official transcripts before you can even apply which is more $$ and more time wasted!!! It's so unfair what they put us through! I am so fed up with this whole waiting game, job hunt and everything in between :dizzy: however every state is different. My advice is to research states around you and see what their process is for certification from out of state! Good luck

4. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jul 22, 2013

The good news is that your Michigan license will transfer easily to most states. I simply had to write a check to get my NC license.
    I would suggest looking in Northern Virginia. My best friend moved there after college. The cost of living is pretty high, but the pay reflects that.

5. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jul 22, 2013

Las Vegas also needs teachers, but I'm pretty sure you need your license already. Or maybe in-process is sufficient. Caesar would know better than me.

6. kevmic28

kevmic28 Companion

Jul 22, 2013

Check Houston Texas too. There's a thread on here about that.

7. LifetimeLearner

LifetimeLearner Rookie

Jul 22, 2013

I don't have a lot in the way of words of wisdom, but I completely feel you on the frustration. I hope something comes your way SOON!

8. curiouslystrong

curiouslystrong Companion

Jul 22, 2013

If you're looking for something close (or close-ish) to home, you'd want to look into Indiana, Illinois, Ohio, Wisconsin, and Pennsylvania first, probably. I completed my certification program in Michigan, so I had to go through the process of getting a license in Illinois, which was a big headache. If you have the money to do it, I'd look into getting licensed in other states to improve your chances of hearing anything back from out-of-state postings.

In Illinois, you'll have to take their basic skills test and subject area tests; they also won't endorse you to teach middle school, since they have a very specific coursework requirement that they basically don't accept out-of-state coursework to fulfill. I'm currently looking into getting certified in Indiana and Wisconsin, as well.

I've also applied for an Indiana license (they'll give you a reciprocal permit with a comparable and valid out-of-state license, but you need to take subject tests to convert it to an actual license), but their system seems to be very backed up. If you have any questions, their automated system does not direct you to people, only - in my experience - the voicemail boxes of individuals. I sent them an email through their online certification system with questions about what subject-area tests I'd need to take for certain endorsements three weeks ago and have not received a reply; I sent a follow-up through my personal email a week and a half ago, since I was worried my message didn't go through, but haven't heard anything back from that, either. It's been two weeks since I applied for a license and I'm still in the "DOE Material Review" stage. Oh, another sort of unexpected thing they require is suicide prevention training, but I found an approved online training that only cost $35. And, on the plus side, their application fee is comparatively low.

Now I'm looking at getting certified in Wisconsin, too; they don't seem to have an online certification system (or at least one that you register for before actually receiving your license), as far as I can tell. It sounds like they might require out-of-state applicants to take a Wisconsin basic skills test now, though they did mention something along the lines of if you've taken a comparable out of state basic skills test, you can send them your scores and they'll decide if they're acceptable or not. You also need to take subject area tests and submit (via snail mail) various forms and paperwork. You have to do this for Illinois, too, though they also have an online certification system; Indiana lets you upload all of your relevant documents to LVIS.

Since a lot of states seem to require you to pass their tests before they'll give you a license, I'd personally look into taking Praxis tests. Indiana and Wisconsin both require you to have passed Praxis II tests for your endorsement area, and I think Ohio uses Praxis, too. (Illinois, like Michigan, doesn't.) This should make it easier to get certified in a bunch of other states; if you can't get certified in other states, school districts are more likely to pass on you.

Another thing you could consider is targeting charters or private schools in other states, as they don't necessarily require you to have a license, so not having a license for that state wouldn't be a barrier to employment.

I also found a chart that gives a summary for each state on what an out-of-state applicant needs to do to get licensed. I'm not sure if it's 100% current, since I know that new requirements are being added all the time, but it should give a pretty good general idea of which states require you to jump through the least hoops: http://www.lakeforest.edu/live/files/1495-state-certification-reciprocity1pdf (it seems to specifically be for those endorsed in Japanese, but I think it's mostly generally applicable)

This guide seems to provide more detail: http://education.depaul.edu/_downloads/forms/Cross_State_Certific.pdf

Hope this helps - and good luck! :)

ETA: I know several people from MI who found jobs in NC (one in the Charlotte area, a two others in the Raleigh-Durham area), Florida, and the DC area.

9. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jul 22, 2013

The states you listed are all tight markets. Wisconsin is probably the least saturated of them, but I really don't see anyone having a lot of success in any of those states. (Not saying it is impossible, but it won't be a whole lot easier than Michigan.)

As for certification, each state is different. Several states will accept the MTTC in lieu of the PRAXIS. I teach in a PRAXIS state and I've never taken it.

10. curiouslystrong

curiouslystrong Companion

Jul 22, 2013

I wish the states around here would accept it. :(

I know that not every Praxis state will require out-of-state applicants who have passed comparable state tests like the MTTC or ICTS/ILTS to take the Praxis for certification, but I figure if it's financially feasible, it would make sense to take it. I mean, at least some states won't accept MTTC in lieu of Praxis, so taking it should give someone the most opportunity to expand their search, since it's used in the majority of states. If it's not financially feasible, then it would probably make the most sense to look in states where getting a license doesn't require taking additional tests or completing additional coursework.

11. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jul 22, 2013

Yes, CCSD (Las Vegas) is still hiring. A Nevada license in hand is preferred, but in-process might be okay as long as the candidate gets the ball rolling ASAP.

12. mrs-j

mrs-j Rookie

Jul 22, 2013

I am applying to CCSD right now. Could you tell me how I would go about getting my Nevada licensure? Also looking into Northern Virginia! Thank you so much!!!!!!!

I wish I would never have bothered with Michigan. I feel like I wasted so much time. I should have known the job market here was a bust. :(

13. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jul 22, 2013

14. mrs-j

mrs-j Rookie

Jul 22, 2013

Thank you so much!!! :D

15. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jul 22, 2013

If you need any other help along the way, feel free to PM me.

16. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jul 22, 2013

Are you not originally from Michigan? Or disappointed that you waited to move?

17. mrs-j

mrs-j Rookie

Jul 22, 2013

I am originally from Michigan. I'm disappointed I waited to move. I should have sought jobs out of state to begin with, but I didn't know (or want to believe) the market was so bad here. :(

18. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jul 23, 2013

That was my regret, too. I also subbed for a year between graduating and moving out of state. I knew the applicants per position were typically over 1000 in my area. This year I interviewed in one district that had 6000 applicants for their elementary posting; they interviewed 224 of them for 12 openings. I made the hiring pool, but haven't heard anything sense. (This was early May)

19. ayla

ayla Companion

Jul 23, 2013

What subject do you teach? You'll have 3+ tests if you teach elementary and want to move to VA, which would put you out of the running for this year.

20. mrs-j

mrs-j Rookie

Jul 23, 2013

I'm elementary, and I am not planning on teaching middle school. I filled out the form for Nevada's certification this morning. And, filled out CCSD's application last night. My fiance is actually excited about the prospect of moving. I just pray I didn't start the process too late. :(

I should also note that I'm not against working in a charter school by any means. ALL of my interviews have been in charter schools. Though, I've applied to 50+ public school postings.

21. SCTeacher23

SCTeacher23 Comrade

Jul 23, 2013

I'm not 100% sure, but I thought I heard that some charter schools are flexible with hiring teachers who aren't certified in that state quite yet. I know some recruit from out of state. I was recently hired at a charter school, and I know they pay for relocation expenses and recruit from out of state. I also got the impression that they assist you with getting certified in their state if you are not already certified. I would look into different charter schools in different states and see what their policies are.

22. Rainbowbird

Rainbowbird Groupie

Jul 23, 2013

This whole quagmire of cross-country certification is so annoying and depressing, and I'm not even looking to move.

It's quite ridiculous. With CC we are all pretty much expected to teach the same way. Yet the cert process is completely different for almost every state. You'd think if pretty much every state adapts CC, certs should be accepted everywhere. If you can teach it in one state, you should be able to teach it in another state!

23. panjteacher

panjteacher Rookie

Jul 23, 2013

I held out too long around here too (NJ/PA). All summer nothing really biting until my 21 Century Community interview today.
    I have started the reciporical Florida process a week or so ago and have applied at a handful of Central FL districts. I just hope they are not as packed to the gills as NJ down there.

24. mrs-j

mrs-j Rookie

Jul 23, 2013

Well, I'm hoping that since I put in my paperwork for my Nevada certification, that I will be able to just tell them, "My certification is in process." I just wonder how long it could take to hear anything from them?

25. CreativeTeachR

CreativeTeachR Companion

Jul 23, 2013

I'm doing the same!! Just be aware that each school wants official transcripts and so much more! The process is so time consuming good luck

26. panjteacher

panjteacher Rookie

Jul 23, 2013

I hear ya. Hundred fifty bucks here, eighty there.

27. RedStripey

RedStripey Comrade

Jul 27, 2013

Which tests? Just curious because I'm seriously considering VA

28. rwu2010

rwu2010 Rookie

Jul 28, 2013

2 friends I went to college with (1 is elementary 1 is HS english) were having no luck in CT (the home state for all 3 of us) so they went to the NC teaching jobs database and applied and each got a phone interview within a week. My elementary friend even got to pick her grade. Now my elementary friend is going into her 2nd year teaching 1st grade in Fayetteville, NC and my other friend is going into her 3rd year teaching 10th grade English in Charlotte, NC. They say the South school culture took some getting used to and they are in rough communities but they love how quickly they wete able to get their own classrooms down there

29. rwu2010

rwu2010 Rookie

Jul 28, 2013

And in NC you don't have to worry about tests. They accept reciprocity for 1 year.

30. RedStripey

RedStripey Comrade

Jul 28, 2013

I love NC but I heard that teachers aren't treated very well there plus the pay is low. I guess the first part depends on the district, I can't really say that is the absolute truth everywhere, haha...needless to say, I am still considering it for experience and so I can get out of NJ!!!

Guilford County Schools keeps emailing me, actually. But I definitely cannot afford to relocate until next year.

31. rwu2010

rwu2010 Rookie

Jul 28, 2013

You'll get something! I'm 24, finished undergrad in 2010, and then finished my masters in 2011 while doing a yearlong internship, then I was having no luck so I had to first be a paraprofessional for a year (classroom para which I think is better for cert. teachers than 1:1) then I started off the past year as a para but got hired in my hometown district as a building sub, then everything happened at my school and a long term sub option came up til June and now I have a 2nd gr job at the school for this year.

Basically yes its frustrating. Yes it took me multiple steps in jobs that I didn't necessarily want. But things are always changing and happening.

32. ayla

ayla Companion

Jul 28, 2013

In VA you can read about tests here (though they recently passed an update on a few of these scores): http://www.doe.virginia.gov/teaching/licensure/prof_teacher_assessment.pdf

You have to take for elementary:
    Praxis II
    VCLA
    VRE

I think if you have 3 years teaching experience you are exempt but that defeats the point of this thread.

A new thing as of July is that you also need CPR certification.

33. RedStripey

RedStripey Comrade

Jul 28, 2013

Thanks for the help, Ayla. I already took the Praxis II in NJ and I'll look into the other tests :)

Rwu congrats on your new job :) Yes it's very tough and I knew it would be tough to get a job but I'm impatient haha. I have to learn to live with it though :p

34. nyteacher85

nyteacher85 Companion

Jul 28, 2013

Northern VA is still hiring. If you go to the Fairfax County website, you can apply by sending your résumé directly to each principals email. As far as certification, they will work with you once you get hired. You need to take the first Paris by march of your first year. Good luck!

35. RedStripey

RedStripey Comrade

Jul 28, 2013

That's so tempting but I can't afford to move right now, unfortunately. Thank you though!

36. breezymarie07

breezymarie07 Companion

Jul 28, 2013

I'm in WI and struggling to find a position. I limited myself, though, because of summer teaching experience and getting ahead of myself and signing a year lease:unsure: Although, this is where I want to be and believe where I am supposed to be, so I keep plugging and remain optimistic:) I know that Milwaukee had about 750 openings this year and I'm sure they're still looking!

However, it takes forever for applications to go through. I applied for mine about a month ago and am still waiting for my temporary license from my university. I read on the WDPI website that it takes about 8-12 weeks for the DPI to process an out-of-state application which may hinder you. I'm not sure whether there are additional tests, though, as I was trained/certified in WI.

37. panjteacher

panjteacher Rookie

Jul 28, 2013

Fairfax seems to have a very expensive COL. Most of N. VA seems like that. It is a great area though and I hear they have really great schools

38. ayla

ayla Companion

Jul 29, 2013

Yes, I was teaching in another part of the state. I got a huge raise by moving to Northern VA but it will all go to my new high rent.

39. SCTeacher23

SCTeacher23 Comrade

Jul 29, 2013

I student taught in Guilford County. NC is a great place to live, but I know several people I went to college with who teach in NC, and it seems there's a lot of issues with money and budgets. I know there has been a freeze with raises. So, teachers who are going on the 5th year of teaching are still at a first year salary. I've also heard they are making it so you don't get a higher salary for having a masters. I've heard there are other budget issues and i don't know the specifics, but many teachers aren't too happy down there. As far as the salary though, it is significantly lower than NJ, but you have to think about the fact that the cost of living is cheaper. If you are looking to teach down south to brush up your resume though, it wouldn't be a bad idea. I had a much easier time getting interviews and getting a job down south then I did when I moved to NJ.

40. englishteach2

englishteach2 Rookie

Jul 29, 2013

There are districts in Las Vegas that are hiring. I am not interested in working there, but I have friends who relocated there and they like it. No state income tax.

41. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jul 29, 2013

There is only one district in Las Vegas: Clark County School District. Yes, they are still hiring.