The job fair is cancelled!!!

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by duygu, Apr 28, 2009.

1. duygu

duygu Rookie

Apr 28, 2009

Due to the economy!!!:mad:

3. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Apr 28, 2009

I just received an email from TeachersTeachers.com saying that a district in NC had cancelled their job fair even though they still had vacanies.

4. mego65

mego65 Comrade

Apr 28, 2009

I'm trying really hard to get into a district that has about 30 positions posted. I read their new budget and it says they will hire 15 teachers at the middle school level. Umm what does that mean about the 10 elementary positions that I applied for? Not sure what is happening in the school districts this year, and sadly I don't think they know either.

5. MATgrad

MATgrad Groupie

Apr 29, 2009

I don't think anyone knows what is happening. I'm not expecting to see any positions for my area of Florida posted until July.

6. TampaTeacher2Be

TampaTeacher2Be Comrade

Apr 29, 2009

I think that is a lot of it. I don't think that the districts are necessarily not hiring, I think they are just getting smarter about it. Rather than playing the numbers game and hiring for anticipated vacancies now, they are going to wait up until the last minute and hire only for actual vacancies.

I'm trying to remain calm about the whole thing, and my P seems pretty confident that I will be able to find something for next year, but I am anticipating that I will not know what school I am wroking at next year until days before school starts.

7. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Apr 29, 2009

I too think most hiring for next year will happen in July and August. There are just so many unknowns for a lot of districts as far as finances. They're not going to want to have signed contracts until they're 100% sure what's happening.

8. palla

palla Companion

Apr 29, 2009

The website at my local school district says, "This is a projected vacancy for the 2009-10 school year. Once vacancies have been established, hiring administrators will contact suitable candidates."

I agree; they aren't sure what to expect, and they need to figure it all out. I would rather wait a while to get an interview than to be offered a job and have it cancelled right before school starts.

9. frogger

frogger Devotee

Apr 29, 2009

School years end - budget wise - June 30th so the new calendar school year begins July 1st then you factor in the 4th of July holiday as well and then really a lot of hiring won't occur until the middle of July. Even last year without this economic doom and gloom most school districts in the state (NC) did not post and hire until the middle of the summer.

Now because there is so much other things going on as well, principals and county administrators will not hire until they know more.

10. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Apr 29, 2009

They are voting on budgets in my area so I'm thinking they will figure out if they can hire after they find out how much money they will have to work with for next year. I'm hoping they approve the budget increase for my neighborhood school district so they can hire me and I can have a 2 minute commute :)