The interview saga thus far...any advice is always welcome :)

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by MissD59, Jun 21, 2014.

1. RedStripey

RedStripey Comrade

Jun 25, 2014

Congrats! You go girl!! I was reading this thread in the morning and said to myself "I bet she will get something soon." Which school ended up offering you the position? School E?

2. RedStripey

RedStripey Comrade

Jun 25, 2014

I know it doesn't matter now since you were offered a position elsewhere, but my friend was in the top 2 for a second grade classroom position and they turned her down in favor of the other person because she only ever taught third grade :confused:

3. MissD59

MissD59 Comrade

Jun 25, 2014

Yep! And that wound up being my absolute favorite school out of all the schools I've been going to, so I'm incredibly happy.

4. willow129

willow129 Comrade

Jun 25, 2014

That's so great! I'm so glad it was your favorite school :D It was totally worth it to turn down that earlier position

5. ahodge79

ahodge79 Companion

Jun 25, 2014

I'm curious, did you send out all those mass mailings in addition to responding to the same districts postings on a job site?

6. Bunnie

Bunnie Devotee

Jun 25, 2014

I'm so incredibly happy for you!!!! Congrats, congrats, congrats!!!! You truly put in some hard work and dedication into finding a job, you totally deserve it!!!

7. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Jun 25, 2014

Congrats! You'll love 5th grade!!

8. Bunnie

Bunnie Devotee

Jun 25, 2014

This is crazy. There's not that much of a difference between the 2 grades. It's not like it was jumping from kindergarten to 5th. Geez, what a silly reason not to hire someone.

9. greendream

greendream Cohort

Jun 26, 2014

I have to hand it to you, MissD, this thread was a great read with a happy ending. Congrats. :thumb:

10. RedStripey

RedStripey Comrade

Jun 26, 2014

Right? I worked with both second and third graders this year and there wasn't much of a difference in curriculum at all. My instincts tell me that wasn't the real reason why she wasn't hired; I personally think some politics were in play.

11. DressageLady

DressageLady Comrade

Jun 26, 2014

Congratulations!
    Sheilah

12. MissD59

MissD59 Comrade

Jun 26, 2014

Thanks, everyone!

Nope, none of the job openings were EVER posted online. That's why people on here tend to give advice to just send your resume out there, regardless of whether or not they advertise for open positions.

13. MissPapa

MissPapa Comrade

Jun 26, 2014

MissD59…this sounds like last summer for me. I went to so many job interviews. Some were great, others were intimidating where it left me to tears once I got out of the building. I had some demo lessons too. From last summer to recently, I've been spending a lot of time preparing for interviews and a lot of money on paper, envelopes, ink and postage to mail out my resumes and cover letters. It was very emotionally exhausting. The worst was getting "offered" a position only to get a call back saying they made a mistake and it wasn't me who they were hiring to.

It's very hard work. But you shouldn't give up. Plus subbing experience HELPS for answering interview questions. The school I just got hired at, I was able to answer each question thoughtfully with ease because of my experience with a long-term assignment. You'll get hired, don't worry :)

14. MissD59

MissD59 Comrade

Jun 28, 2014

I was offered a position on Tuesday. 5th grade general education at my top school. :thumb: I totally hear ya on all the money for paper, envelopes, ink, and postage. I actually caved last year and bought a relatively inexpensive laser printer to make the printing go faster for mass mailings! Oh, the things we do...but it pays off.

15. Luv2TeachInTX

Luv2TeachInTX Comrade

Jun 28, 2014

Congrats!!!! I could tell from your original post that it was just a matter of time before you got an offer. :)