The Interview jacket

Discussion in 'Job Hunting & Interviews' started by Faerie, Jul 26, 2006.

1. Faerie

Faerie Rookie

Jul 26, 2006

Hi all,

I mentioned in my other post that I got a great deal on a really nice set of suit pants for my interview, but I did not buy the jacket. Here's the deal, I am only 5 feet tall and sm/med build. suit jackets and blazers, even if they're petite and well fitted ALWAYS make me look rediculous like I'm playing dress up, which is too bad b/c I've seen some really cute ones.

Anyway, I'm just gonna wear a nice silk blouse and a nice knit sweater instead of the jacket. I would rather feel comfortable and be able to give a strong, intelligent interview, than to wear the jacket, look awkward and be self conscious and give a faultering interview.

What do you think?

I once asked a man who had been a principal for years what was the best thing to wear for an interview and he said "it's not what you wear, it's how you present yourself" so I'm gonna go on that, any thoughts?

3. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Jul 26, 2006

I have the same problem with suit jackets. I just recently had 2 jackets altered. I think you will be fine. If you are comfortable and confident that's what matters.

Good Luck

4. MissB

MissB Companion

Jul 26, 2006

I always say wear a suit! BUT... I think that if you dress very professionally, answer all the questions with confidence, and are polite, you will be all set! Don't worry too much about what you are wearing, as long as you are professional. Good luck!

5. Kris8806

Kris8806 Companion

Jul 26, 2006

I have the same problem. I'm 5'1" and always feel like I'm playing dress up in a suit but I wore it anyway. The more I've had it on and walked around with it the more comfortable I've become. Have you tried Express Women? The clothes can be a bit pricey but that's where I tend to buy my suits because they make things in petite that are actually petite.

The shirt and sweater sound great though. I wore that as well to another interview and did not feel self-conscious or dressed down in it. I say that you go with what you're comfortable in, because you're extreme discomfort is going to show on your face.

GOOD LUCK!

6. Mable

Mable Enthusiast

Jul 26, 2006

I think nice suit pants with a professional shirt w/o the jacket would be fine. Anything that presents you as well groomed and professional will do just great.

7. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Jul 26, 2006

I'm not a petite person (5'5", average weight) but I have the same problem with looking like a little girl playing dress up! I bought a suit jacket last summer anyway and it fit alright. I've recently lost weight, though and now it looks even more silly. I found a GREAT suit at Express that I love, but the jacket is $150 and the pants are $70....way more than I want to spend! I love it, though and I may break down and put it on my fiance's store credit card. ;)
    I'm also usually one to suggest always wearing a suit, but if you're having a really hard time (I can relate!) I think that anything that looks professional will be fine.

8. merigold78

merigold78 Cohort

Jul 26, 2006

i agree w/those who said as long as you look professional and answer the questions well, you'll be fine. good luck! :) -meri

9. MS Candy

MS Candy Comrade

Jul 26, 2006

I agree that you need to feel great in your clothes. So for this interview if a jacket is not doing it for you then , go with the sweater. I am 5'10 and the arms(sleeves) on jackets are always way to short and if I go up a size the jacket makes me look frumpy.
    I will start my interview in March, so I am planning on trying to have a jacket altered. My husband does it for his pants and it works great. So since I am going to spend some money and I will probably go with a bigger store for the purchase, I am going to try to have it altered, I know JC Penney's does it for men, so we will see. Just an idea.

10. wifemomteach06

wifemomteach06 Companion

Jul 26, 2006

I have this problem too. That's why I chose a suit that had short sleeves, then I took out the shoulder pads. I felt cooler, and much more confident that way, and I didn't look like I was trying to "bulk up". I know they put the shoulder pads in to make us more shapely, but they make me look ridiculous. Good Luck!

11. MS Candy

MS Candy Comrade

Jul 26, 2006

Great idea, that may just work for April interviews and fairs. I figure one good suit and a couple of great skirts. I should be ok.

12. JustWondering

JustWondering Companion

Jul 26, 2006

I wore suits with jackets. I was lucky and my mom paid to have them all fitted to fit me correctly and made me feel more comfortable in them. The sleeves and shoulders were all perfect and worth the twenty bucks.