The Infamous Application Process

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Pumpkin0926, May 25, 2018.

1. Pumpkin0926

Pumpkin0926 Rookie

May 25, 2018

Hi all!
    I am new to the A to Z teacher stuff site, and look forward to reading and posting on the forum!
    So I graduated in December and was miraculously able to find a long term subbing position for a maternity/paternity leave for a teacher couple that lasts until the end of the school year. I love it here, but unfortunately they have no positions open for next year so I am now on the job hunt.

That being said, I have sent a TON of applications thus far, to a good variety of districts near me. Now we wait.

My question/concern is when do, at this point in the year, do they actually go though applicants and start calling for interviews? School is still in session around here. Do schools typically start interview processes once school is over and summer begins? Or does it just vary from district to district?

I am both very nervous and anxious about finding a job for the new upcoming school year. I know I have a great resume for being a recent grad, but I just don't know. I know patience is the key here but gosh I am just waiting to get anything at all about interviews! (plus I want to move out from my parents' place ASAP; so knowing where I get a job would be helpful in the apartment search)

What are some of your experiences being a first time/new teacher and finding a job?

Also, any tips for the interview process?

:) Thanks all! I appreciate it!

Last edited: May 25, 2018
  3. geoteacher

geoteacher Devotee

May 25, 2018

This is the heat of interview season in my area. Most hiring will conclude in the next two weeks because after that it will be harder to get interview teams together. Things will be very slow in July, but there will again be activity of last-minute hiring in August when the principals return.

4. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Enthusiast

May 25, 2018

Last edited: Feb 4, 2019
  5. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

May 26, 2018

Hiring season is ending around here. It starts in January and peaks in March/April. It winds down before the end of the school year, in most cases. There are always a few last minute postings in desirable districts, and then there are postings for jobs that no one really wants that stay unfilled for a good while into the summer. But, it would be more than difficult to find a good job around here at this point.

When I lived in another city, it was very different. Most schools didn't reach peak hiring season until July, and it wasn't uncommon to get hired just before the school year began.

It all depends on your area.

6. Curriculum Chef

Curriculum Chef Rookie

May 30, 2018

Every school district and school is so different. Just apply, reach out to schools and ask about your application if you feel comfortable, and then just wait it out until last July. I do think it easier to get a job in the summer as hiring committees are not complete plus schools need someone ASAP.

Good luck with your search!