The impossibility of putting together sub lesson plans on a Sunday afternoon

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Backroads, Oct 8, 2017.

1. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Oct 8, 2017

So, my little ones have hand, foot and mouth. Yay. My husband's job allows him to work from home if needed 90% of the time, but tomorrow is not one of those days. So, here I am, trying to put together a lesson plan.

Now, we have emergency sub plans, but I like to save those for sudden emergencies, not one I theoretically have the leisure of putting together plans in a timely manner.

But the sun is shining through the kitchen window, I'm feeding gummy bears to the diseased toddler as she colors, I have started making brownies, my text to my teaching team about the situation has turned into lively gossip about unrelated matters, I'm surfing the internet, and can barely focus on putting a plan together.

Well, I will have 12 hours, right?

Caesar753 and MrsC like this.
  3. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Oct 8, 2017

I've been sick for over two weeks. Finally took Friday off, saw my doctor, got scolded for letting it go so long, and started antibiotics. Still feeling bad and have ordered a sub, but I really need to finish grading some drafts and get them over to school in the morning.

4. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Fanatic

Oct 9, 2017

Do those drafts come with the plague when returned or are you wearing gloves and a face mask while grading? Lol

5. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Oct 9, 2017

The plague comes with the bacterial cesspool that masquerades as a high school! Took today off, saw the doctor again, and I'm not going in tomorrow.

AlwaysAttend likes this.
  6. miss-m

miss-m Groupie

Oct 10, 2017

Now I want to start telling people I have the plague when kids get me sick. It’s so dramatic and I love it. (Also “bacterial cesspool that masquerades as high school” makes me a little nervous about my sub assignment today...)

Backroads likes this.
  7. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Oct 10, 2017

And... my class ate the sub alive.

Sigh.

8. miss-m

miss-m Groupie

Oct 10, 2017

Yikes. D:
    What happened?

9. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Oct 11, 2017

It's more like what doesn't happen when subs come in. Students have special tricks up their sleeves reserved for subs. I always believe the subs when I hear about less than stellar performance from my best students. You expect it from the real characters, but you just shake your head when the whole class goes rouge. Oh well, you tried.:rolleyes:

As for the germ situation, well, as a former sub, get vaccinated like you were going to a third world county, and then just expect that there will be some exposure to things you would never have dreamed of. Pertussis is one that HS teachers tend to forget about, but it is confirmed more often than you would think. So sorry that the previous posters have been the recipients of bacterial and viral "gifts". Don't regift - stay home until better! :hugs:

Last edited: Oct 11, 2017