The home stretch

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by dizzykates, Apr 20, 2013.

1. dizzykates

dizzykates Habitué

Apr 20, 2013

I think most of us are ready for the school you to come to a close. Many have mentioned feeling stressed, worn out, tired, etc.
    So I thought maybe we should make a list of what we are doing to finish things up strong, make things a little easier or otherwise keep going!

I'll start.
    At school I have a list of lessons I still want to finish and I am keeping my lesson calendar up to date. I am trying to minimize grading and plan so I can use our multiple state testing days as grading days (between proctoring!).

At home I have been meal planning and freezing a portion of what I do cook so we have it for later. DH has been keeping us stocked with chopped fresh veggies. I have a list on my fridge of spring cleaning chores that we are trying to tackle daily (except it's snowing right now so that isn't going well). We are also planning one fun thing each weekend and it's been so nice to look forward to.

What are you doing to make things easier?

3. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Apr 20, 2013

I have about all of the rest of the year planned (just need to coordinate live teaching sessions with my co-teachers), which takes much of the worry out of things. This is my fifth year of teaching, so I'm in a decent groove and know how my students usually work in tidal waves in the final weeks of school and am mentally prepared. Regular conferences with my new SpEd counterpart help make sure she knows what's coming next.

At home, I've lowered my stress level by starting an exercise program and dropping out of the Principal Certification program for my grad school. Teacher Leadership Endorsement is about as far as I want to take myself, so the added stress of the extra work wasn't worth it.

4. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Apr 21, 2013

At school:
    We have 3 testing days for Juniors this week plus 3 testing days for sophomores and freshman in another week. Being an inclusion teacher, I'm just hoping to get my students to pass these tests and to make sure that all assignments are turned in and they pass this year.

I'm also hoping to get a new job in a different capacity so I'm working on my resume and cover letter to achieve that.

At home:
    I need to make sure I keep the house cleaner than it is right now. It's not dirty or cluttered, but there are little things here and there that I need to make sure that always get put back where they belong. I need to plan out vacations around professional developments.

5. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Apr 21, 2013

I'm not bringing anything home. I'm making lists of things to do around the house this summer.

6. applecore

applecore Devotee

Apr 21, 2013

My house is cleaned and I have a list of things to clean and organize to close up my classroom for the summer.

That's all I got for now.

I'm scatter-brained right now with testing going on. I find that if I clean, I feel better. I know have 1/2 of a file cabinet out of 2 cabinets cleaned. Progress right?