The Hidden Costs of Being a Teacher

Discussion in 'General Education' started by ManTeacher, Oct 2, 2012.

1. ManTeacher

ManTeacher Rookie

Oct 2, 2012

Just wondering....what do other states require their teachers to pay for subject area tests/ adding new endorsements to their certificates/ copies of their teaching certificates?

Here in Florida, I feel like we are raked over the coals. Our subject area exams now cost $200. Taking and passing a test requires $75 to add it to our certificates. Just getting a copy of our certificate is $20! Oh yeah, ladies, if you get married in the state of Florida and change your name....guess what? You'll need to send a crisp $20 to the state so they can reprint your certificate!

If I add up all my costs under the current pricing system...I've spent over $1,375 for 5 tests and some cheap paper!

I am not sure why the state does this to their fine educators (Well, I kind of do). Just looking for others opinions on the matter.

Thanks!

3. MikeTeachesMath

MikeTeachesMath Devotee

Oct 2, 2012

Well, New York is changing the entire certification exam process, but as it stands currently, all exams are $79.

4. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Oct 2, 2012

$120 for the certification tests
    $77 for the certification

5. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Oct 2, 2012

Be grateful. In my state you can't add subjects to your license via exam. You must take college coursework. It ends up costing many thousands of dollars.

6. MikeTeachesMath

MikeTeachesMath Devotee

Oct 2, 2012

Oh yeah, this too. 30 credits + the content exam.

7. ManTeacher

ManTeacher Rookie

Oct 2, 2012

Wow, so you guys are pretty much stuck! Well, I can't say I like that at all. Does your district/state at least encourage you to continue your education? If so how?

8. Resentful

Resentful Rookie

Oct 2, 2012

I wasn't aware there were states were you could just take an exam and be certified in something.

9. Resentful

Resentful Rookie

Oct 2, 2012

My praxis was like 125 dollars. I think it was about 125 dollars to get a license. I had to get finger printing. That was about 75. 325.

I had to get a sub license to student teach. That was 125, too. I had to get finger prints. That was 75. So, 200 for a sub license. I always joke as a substitute that you have to sub three days before you even get any pay that isn't reimbursement for the sub fees.

As a sub: 200

As a teacher: 325

I've always felt when you factor in all the fees and schooling you need to teach a while to break even.

10. MikeTeachesMath

MikeTeachesMath Devotee

Oct 2, 2012

The way I understand it is you're allowed to add a certification if you pass the PRAXIS in certain states. You have to already hold a traditional certification through college coursework first.

Doesn't work like that in NY. You have to get your degree, become certified, and then you may add certifications if you pass the CST exam AND have at least 30 applicable credit hours in that field.

11. Jerseygirlteach

Jerseygirlteach Groupie

Oct 2, 2012

I think it's $185 per cert. I have 4 so you can do the math. That's on top of the cost of the praxis tests which run about $95 I think. Honestly, if I start adding up what I spend on supplies in an average year, the cert costs seem like chump change.

12. PCdiva

PCdiva Connoisseur

Oct 2, 2012

Just wrote a check for $200- to the state and $25 to BOCES so they could process it....this is just to turn my initial certificate into. A provisional one....I forfieted my k-2 certification s Bc that would've been an extra $200- and I had to take 6 certification tests...they started at $70 and by the time I was done were $88- a piece.....fun times.

13. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Oct 2, 2012

In Texas, once you get your inital certification, you can just test to add on additional certifications. I have 5 certifications so $120x5+$77=$677

14. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Oct 2, 2012

I had to have 6 praxis exams at $125 each to get my initial license. Licenses here in AR are $100. If you get married, add an endorsement, or add a masters not at renewal, it's $50. Renewals are every five years for $100. Background checks are $25 and child maltreatment checks are $10.

15. mkbren88

mkbren88 Cohort

Oct 2, 2012

3-6 years ago: My initial certificate was $30, the AEPA test was $185ish, fingerprint card was $59.

Last year: I had to get an extension on my provisional certificate which was $30, then I had to take a class to lift the provision which was $212 and an additional class for a required endorsement which was $75.

This year: I had to update my provisional cert. to a standard certificate for $90 (30 for certificate, 60 for adding on endorsement), and $67 for an updated fingerprint clearance card.

Certificates and fingerprint cards need to be updated every 6 years. I thought it was a lot, but looking at previous posters, it seems like my state isn't too bad.

16. ManTeacher

ManTeacher Rookie

Oct 3, 2012

That's interesting. I'm sure your fingerprints haven't changed much in six years....or EVER! What is the logic behind that?

17. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

Oct 3, 2012

Your fingerprints don't change but they run your record again.

My husband has licences for his profession and we pay those. Teachers aren't the only ones.

18. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Oct 7, 2012

I don't remember the prices, but I had to pay for CBEST, fingerprints, CSET, then I took the CTEL (ELL authorization) which I didn't need but didn't realize until after (I know it was around $300), paid for the credential, sub-permit, renewal of sub permit. Then i took the CSET for mult. subject and the RICA. It really adds up.

In California you can also take an exam and be authorized to teach that subject if you already have your credential. I had English single subject, and to teach multiple subjects / elementary I just needed the mult. subject CSET and RICA.
    I plan to take the Science CSET so I can teach it.

19. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Oct 7, 2012

I got lucky - I was certified in FL before the test prices went up.

But my college coursework to get a professional certificate (not an education major) was around $2100.

And my ESOL endorsement cost $1200 in course work, plus $75 to add on, and now I have to renew my certificate, so that's another $75, and I think I have to get fingerprinted again.

Caesar - for certain endorsements or certifications, you have to take all of the coursework in FL, as well.

20. Cerek

Cerek Aficionado

Oct 7, 2012

Several states only require a passing score on the appropriate Praxis II exam(s) to add certifications, but you must have completed coursework and received an initial certification in another area first.

For example, I considered getting my original license in High School Math, but discovered that would require at least 5-6 new math classes in addition to the licensure classes I needed to take. Middle School Math, on the other hand, only required the licensure classes I had not taken. So I took a total of 6 academic classes and my internship to receive my license in Middle School Math.

Then I learned that, once I received my initial license in any area, I only have to pass the appropriate Praxis II exam(s) to add other certifications. So now, all I have to do is pass two Praxis II exams to add a certification for High School Math. I passed the Pedagogy test easily, but have not passed the Content Knowledge test yet (came within 1 POINT, but did not pass *sigh*).

Costs: Most Praxis II exams cost $80, but some cost as much as $90. ETS charges a "Testing Fee" once per testing year. The testing year begins in August and ends the following July. There are 7 test dates within each testing year (Sep., Nov., Jan., March, April, June and July). The testing fee is $50, so the first Praxis II exam taken in any testing year will cost roughly $130 ($80 for the test and $50 for the fee). After that, you can take as many additional tests as you want and only pay the cost of the test itself. ETS also provides two testing periods on each testing date, so you could conceivably take as many as 14 tests within a year.

State charges a fee to add new certifications, but I'm not sure of the cost. The state charges this fee each time you make a change to your license, but there is no limit to the number of changes you can make each time. After getting my initial license in Middle School Math, I added Middle School Science by passing the Praxis II exam. I've not added that to my license yet, because I'm waiting until I pass the High School Math test as well, then I can add both new certifications and only pay the state fee one time.

21. Myrisophilist

Myrisophilist Habitué

Oct 7, 2012

Maine requires content courses and the PRAXIS II content exam for each certification area. Fingerprinting/background check is ~$75. I haven't applied for certification yet, but I'm "looking forward" to doing that in December.

22. tracykaliski

tracykaliski Connoisseur

Oct 7, 2012

Same here in Ohio. First you take the coursework, then take the Praxis, and then pay to have it added to your license. Also, the licensure fee went up from $75 to over $200, plus an additional fee for each endorsement. I'm not sure how much the reissue fee for endorsements is, but I'll find out next summer when I renew my license.

23. pete2770

pete2770 Comrade

Oct 7, 2012

Every license, every fee, every course, every background check, etc. are burdens of entry. They do generate money, but believe it or not their true intent is to keep people out of the profession.

It might not seem like it now, because of the economy, but these things are strategically used to make sure the market is more lucrative for job-seekers than employers. That's why you don't hear (maybe there are some cases) unions complain about new teacher certification requirements.

Imagine the competition and low pay for jobs if there were no basics exams, pedagogy exams, content exams, extra course-work for new fields, etc.

Sometimes negative things are a blessing in disguise.

24. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Oct 7, 2012

I want to add certifications but I really can't afford the NY state education department fees!! I have heard that I might only have to take a test to add a particular certification but I'm not sure. I would have to pay $100 for the state to tell me which test on top of the testing fee!!

25. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Oct 7, 2012

I've been teaching for 15 years, so I don't remember exact amounts. My NTE (before Praxis) was around $75. I've taught in two parishes and had fingerprints taken for both. I didn't have to pay anything for either. I think I paid $25 for my first cert. After I passed my new teacher eval my parish paid for my lifetime cert. As of now I'm considered highly qualified by my state. I haven't had to add any certs or take any more tests. Reading all of this I realize how lucky I am.

26. ecteach

ecteach Devotee

Oct 7, 2012

If our school system asks a teacher to take a test to add another area to their license, the county will pay for the first PRAXIS Test. If the person does not pass, it is up to them to pay for the second test. If the person passes the test, it is up to them to pay to add the area to their license. This is an $85 cost.

To add "Adaptive Curriculum" to my license, I had to pay $70 for one test, $155 for another test, and $85 to add the area to my license. (The county didn't ask me to add this, I just did it on my own.)

Look on the bright side....it's still cheaper than taking college classes to add another area to your license. That's what we used to have to do. (It took 12 s.h. in that area to add the area to your license.)

27. ecteach

ecteach Devotee

Oct 7, 2012

30 credits????? Dang!:dizzy:

28. ecteach

ecteach Devotee

Oct 7, 2012

Yes. You must already have a clear license in a related area. For example, a middle school math teacher could NOT just take a test in special ed and get certification upon passing the test. However, that math teacher could take a test to teach middle school science, social studies, or English and obtain licensure in that area.

Same goes for elementary ed and early childhood education. A high school teacher couldn't take a test and become certified in these areas, and vice versa.

29. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Oct 7, 2012

I had to pay $150 to renew my certificate AND you have to print it yourself!

30. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Oct 7, 2012

I disagree that the point of the teacher tests is to bar people from the profession. If that were the case, then it wouldn't make sense to allow a prospective teacher to retake an exam - but I know of no teacher exam that allows no retakes, and the vast majority of teacher tests allow as many retakes as the prospective teacher can afford.

31. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Oct 8, 2012

My apologies, pete2770: I clearly intruded on a gripe thread. I'll stay out henceforth.