The Healthcare Crisis (Oprah Today)

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by chicagoturtle, Aug 12, 2008.

1. chicagoturtle

chicagoturtle Fanatic

Aug 12, 2008

Hi all,

I know a few of you are still off on break and maybe caught Oprah.

I watched some this morning and then I had to go to the Doctor (three actually). So I am catching the PM rerun in Chicago right now.

Not sure when the original airdate was.

Michael Moore is on- I know many people don't agree with him and he has the ability to skew things etc- I'm pretty sure Sicko made me cry (I know I saw it a long time ago).

The things about the insurance company going against what doctors say is ludacris. I had a problem a few years back where I didn't realize (first year teacher mistake) I had to pre-approve all tests/scans (but later found out surgery doesn't have to be preapproved - go figure) - anyway I fought them and they paid 50% of what they were supposed to. I was like umm I didn't decided to wake up this morning and think YUM. I'd like to drink barium and have radioactive dye go through my body.

They also interviewed those from Canada and England about their systems that did show some of the flaws of going the way they do.

The question posed is:
    Do you fundamentally believe that a child of a gas station attendant and the CEO of a major company deserve the same health care?

I do, however I know many in our country do not. We spend lots of money wastelesly in this country. I'm sure we could fund education and health care if we underfunded some of the things we over fund.

3. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Aug 13, 2008

I think it is grossly unfair that some people wait in vain for kidneys, and alcoholic atheltes get one the day after they get on the waiting list.

I think it is insane that doctors have you 'try' a medicine, and when it makes you worse, they tell you to 'try' another one! Uh, doc, can you tell Osco to reimburse me for the drug that did nothing?

I think women's health continues to be very neglected. A drug moves to the OTC shelf, and yet, because of high theft, it's stored behind the counter in the pharmacy, and they close early on Sundays...and the store manager says there's nothing he can do!

I think that children's medicine is also a mystery..and last year's recall of cold medicines really opened everyone's eyes...that we are overmedicating our kids with wrong doses, when we knew all along, common colds have no cure.

And.. I truly believe they know the cure for cancer, AIDS, and every other terminal illness.

But what would a doctor do if there were no terminal patients to treat???

Why should terminal patients have to pay bills anyway?! :confused:

:unsure:

Couldn't they just go home and live their last days for free? Or to a hospice, and let the state pay for their last days???

Just my 2cents!

4. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Aug 13, 2008

Only in America...

Only in America ......do drugstores make the sick walk all the way to the back of the store to get their prescriptions while healthy people can buy cigarettes at the front.

5. Weazy

Weazy Comrade

Aug 13, 2008

Eventually those people buying cigarettes at the front, will be walking to the back.

6. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Aug 13, 2008

Do you fundamentally believe that a child of a gas station attendant and the CEO of a major company deserve the same health care?

Of course they deserve the same health care, but life doesn't work out the way we deserve.

I don't know what the answer is. :(

I do know our country is in a lot of financial trouble - don't know that we can do what kids deserve. It is very puzzling. Why is the spending so over the top for ridiculous things? They should put a couple of moms in charge of the finances! It is really crazy.

I have friends living with national health care, and they do not like it. The doctors don't have the same competition for patients, so patient care is not as good. And you don't have as much freedom to choose your own doctor. And you don't always get approved for certain tests. It is certainly not a perfect system either.

Don't get me started on insurance companies . . . I am thankful for our insurance coverage, really, that is the main reason I went back to work. But the company of course wants to make life difficult for us so we will give up and they will keep their money. That is the foundation of the insurance busines (not talking about individual insurance people who really care about their customers - like our State Farm guy, who shows up at the home that is still smoking from the fire to see how he can help the family!)

7. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Aug 13, 2008

This may be getting too political, but I truly believe we don't have national health care because the pharmaceutical and insurance companies are big businesses that lobby our government. I remember that episode and the expert said with what we've spent on 5 months in Iraq we could have had a national health care system, so it's not that we can't find the money, it's that big business doesn't want us to find the money.

I remember the movie Sicko, I think my favorite story was the woman who was in an accident and unconscious, but the insurance company wouldn't pay for the ambulance because she didn't get it pre-approved. It's like they'll do anything to save a buck. I do believe everyone deserves to be insured regardless of their income.

8. corps2005

corps2005 Cohort

Aug 13, 2008

So true....

9. TemperanceFaith

TemperanceFaith Comrade

Aug 13, 2008

I completely agree that we overfund things (Think WAR in Iraq for starters).
    I also think EVERYONE deserves healthcare. Especially children. Yes, there are people who abuse their bodies and take advantage, but there should still be some kind of system in place for everyone to be able to get care, and I mean QUALITY care, equally.
    I am someone who has been without health insurance for the past year when I lost my position. I have been fortunate to be able to pay out of pocket for general care and have not "needed" to go for illness, etc...but the consequences of being without it weigh on me daily.

10. Lindsay.Lou

Lindsay.Lou Companion

Aug 13, 2008

Well, in some countries you get TURNED AWAY at the ER if you don't have insurance.....even if you have a bullet in your chest and are rapidly bleeding to death. In the United States, you can walk into an emergency room and be treated, whether you have insurance or not. They cannot (LEGALLY) send you away. Also, unpaid medical bills cannot hurt your credit and they will never liquidate your assets to pay them.

We're not perfect......but the bottom line is, if I had a medical emergency, I'd prefer to be in America when it happened than any other country.

11. Rabbitt

Rabbitt Connoisseur

Aug 14, 2008

Health care for every child is needed and deserved.
    I personally think basic checkups, including dental, should be done right in school. And the young ladies have these children need care as well.

My husband and I have a small town mom and pop type business. If we had to pay our employees insurance, then our prices will sky rocket. Large chain companies will be able to afford it and thus run us out of business. Same is true for raising minimum wage...it just raises the prices and thus cost of living. Money for increased wages must come from somewhere.

Don't get me wrong as I know living on a low wage is impossible. Health insurance rates are out of control.
    There must be a better way!