The hardest thing ever.....

Discussion in 'Sixth Grade' started by bigcat, Aug 24, 2007.

1. bigcat

bigcat Rookie

Aug 24, 2007

:angel: Last night I had to do something I hoped I'd never have to do. I went to pay my respects to one of my students. Last year this little girl was one of my reading students.....one of the sweetest little girls you'd ever meet. She was to one who would remember you on your birthday...and at Christmas...Valentines...would just leave you a note or draw you a picture. When she was about 6 months old she had a heart transplant....and Tuesday night...her heart stopped and she died. One thing that made this so hard was that her family can not pay for her funeral. She lives in a very rural...very depressed county. So....anyway...I'm only in my 3rd year of teaching and never dreamed I'd experience this so soon....but I guess it can happen at any time. Please say a prayer for a family you don't know...for a little angle that stole my heart. Please love your students......sometimes that's all the love they recieve.

3. sevenplus

sevenplus Connoisseur

Aug 24, 2007

:hugs:

4. ValinFW

ValinFW Comrade

Aug 24, 2007

:hugs:
    I know how you're feeling. We went through the same thing in February when two of our students were hit by a car. Only one passed. I had had her in 7th grade reading and in 8th grade English. I swear she had the sweetest, purest heart. I still have the last essay she wrote for me.
    I'll be praying for the family, you, and your school community.

5. Youngteacher226

Youngteacher226 Enthusiast

Aug 25, 2007

:( :( :( :love:

6. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 25, 2007

That is, without a doubt, the absolute worst part of our job. Coming into contact with the number of kids we do, though, makes it inevitable. I've been to more student wakes than I can count.

And what really stinks is that, at a student wake, you can't really grieve yourself: you have to be there for all the kids who are totally blown away by the idea that their classmate has died. It's brutal.

I'm so sorry for your loss.

7. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 25, 2007

You, your student's family and your school community will be in my prayers.

8. Brendan

Brendan Fanatic

Aug 25, 2007

I have been lucky, I have only been to one student wake in all my teaching. But my prayers are with you, God Bless you, theat child's family, and your community.