The Great New Grades 3-5 Resources Website Unveiling!

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Ms.Jasztal, Jul 3, 2008.

1. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jul 3, 2008

Well... I decided that I needed a more extensive file cabinet of resources on teachingvision.org. I found several resources that I love on the Internet and made a series of brand new .pdf resources in honor of this new website. :) Now, several of the resources are directed to grades 3-5, yet I am positive K-2 can find something in there. This for me... personally... has been a larger project than the Reading and Writing mini-lesson calendars I developed last year (which are also on there).

I even included a section for the MacMillan Treasures series, which is being adopted all over Florida. I found several resources to go with every single story in the fourth grade anthology (though obviously that took quite some time as well).

There are many, many, many printables you can print by going to the new site. I must have typed the words teacher, printables, fourth grade, grades 3-5, and resources into Google a thousand times.

So here is the unveiling of the site. I hope you find it quite useful. :blush:

http://teachingvision.org/resources/

3. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Jul 3, 2008

I will find this very useful. I particularly liked your math tricks. I will totally use those.

This is fantastic. Thanks!

4. Go 4th

Go 4th Habitué

Jul 3, 2008

:2up: You rock Ms. Jasztal!!! Thanks for sharing!! What an awesome resource! :clap:

5. WaterfallLady

WaterfallLady Enthusiast

Jul 3, 2008

I love you! Just kidding. This is great for teachers of middle school too, especially us special ed folks.

6. cheeryteacher

cheeryteacher Enthusiast

Jul 3, 2008

Your website is awesome!! Thanks for sharing.

7. Ellensmom

Ellensmom Companion

Jul 3, 2008

Thanks. It looks great! I will definitely use it.:D

8. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jul 3, 2008

You are amazing, Ms. Jasztal! (I feel like such a slacker.)

There is so much that I plan to use on your site. I already saved it to favorites and printed out a bunch of documents. Thank goodness for overachievers like you!

One note - I couldn't get the link to the Winn Dixie teaching guide to work.

9. MelissainGA

MelissainGA Groupie

Jul 3, 2008

Ms. J you are AMAZING!!!!!! This is unbelieveable. I love your creativity.

Am agreeing with Daisy though (makes me feel like a slacker).

I am up to 2000 books logged and leveled in my reader's library and around 300 in my teacher resource file though.

10. Missy99

Missy99 Connoisseur

Jul 3, 2008

Well, I love you and I am not kidding -- this is great! Thanks!

11. etcetera83

etcetera83 Cohort

Jul 3, 2008

You're awesome - thanks!

12. loves2teach

loves2teach Enthusiast

Jul 3, 2008

Wow! You are awesome!!!!

13. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jul 3, 2008

Thanks, everyone. (Tries to remain humble) (Just kidding) :)

Okay, the Winn-Dixie teaching guide link. I need to check that out. It might have been the website, or I was exhausted and typed the URL incorrectly.

Now I am going to work on the actual website because I want to make a better menu at the left of the page. Maybe that'll be fixed by tonight.

Don't worry, I've been slacking all summer, got quite bored, and decided to think about next year a little bit. I decided to gather everything I loved onto one page. :) Now by saying I was bored, I'm sure you'll write, "You can watch my kids!" "Why don't you come by and clean my house?" :woot:

14. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jul 3, 2008

I would never say that. I'd say, how can you be bored with so many great books out there just waiting to be read!

15. MissaG

MissaG Companion

Jul 3, 2008

What a fabulous resource! Thanks for your hard work.

16. shasha379

shasha379 Devotee

Jul 3, 2008

Thanks, just added to my favorites;)

17. New3rdTeacher

New3rdTeacher Comrade

Jul 3, 2008

Love it ALL!!

18. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jul 3, 2008

Don't worry, Upsadaisy, I've been reading, also. :) I'm bringing a few novels when I go to GA next week.

Besides that, I've been working on the site remodel today. I kept the layout but elaborated upon it to actually make it more simple to navigate. So now http://teachingvision.org is something to check out, also, though there's a few parts of the site I have not developed yet.

19. mstnteacherlady

mstnteacherlady Cohort

Jul 3, 2008

Ms. Jasztal, you are amazing! Thank you for, once again, sharing your goodness! :)

20. ParaPacker

ParaPacker Rookie

Jul 3, 2008

Ms. Jasztal you are an inspiration! I will definitely use your site. Thank you for allowing others to use your ideas and not to recreate the wheel.

You Rock!!:up:

21. DaTeach

DaTeach Comrade

Jul 3, 2008

wow! There is so much useful information on this site. I shared it with all of my teacher friends. Thanks for sharing this.

22. DreamToTeach

DreamToTeach Companion

Jul 3, 2008

THANKS!! I'm leaving the computer now, because I have been on your site for 2 hours!! AMAZING!!

23. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jul 4, 2008

Thanks, everyone! Hopefully if I am productive, there will be more to come! :-D

I just created some reading strategies cards on this page- http://www.teachingvision.org/readingstrategies.html. You can laminate them and have the students write on them during teacher center. That's where I plan to use those, anyway.

24. wig

wig Devotee

Jul 4, 2008

VERY nice. I passed it on to our 3-5 teachers. Thank you.

25. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jul 4, 2008

Thanks. The reading log printout on my main site is new, also. :) Does anyone have any requests on something I can create?

26. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jul 4, 2008

As usual, you have done an incredible job, Ms. Jasztal! I am sure I will be stealing your ideas regularly. I'll try to remember to leave a quarter on the cabinet!

27. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jul 5, 2008

I think I plan on opening a problem-solving website for teachers, but it may or may not retain my interest. :) Or I may start working on math centers because in all honesty, my math class needs them.

28. mstnteacherlady

mstnteacherlady Cohort

Jul 5, 2008

I'm really going to have to focus on math centers over the course of this year. Our district is moving to mandatory implementation of centers for math the next year.

29. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jul 5, 2008

Hmm... really. I didn't put a question mark because in my mind it wasn't a question. We all need to stay in touch about the math centers because it won't be easy for me. Perhaps that is where I should make the website, then.

30. MelissainGA

MelissainGA Groupie

Jul 5, 2008

I would vote for the Math Centers. I know that I am in that boat with those that have trouble with Math Centers. I had my students "do Math centers" last year but I didn't feel like I had them doing as much as I should have.

31. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jul 5, 2008

I have observed in many classrooms over the past 2-3 years, and unfortunately, I have seen math centers in none of them. I have a very talented friend who teaches second grade, and she has wonderful literacy centers (and her kids do great!), but I don't think she has math centers!

32. Mable

Mable Enthusiast

Jul 6, 2008

Your website is always an inspiration to me. Great work.

33. GD2BQN

GD2BQN Comrade

Jul 6, 2008

You know what I do to create some math centers using manipulatives? I cut out the pages of Teacher's Helper or Mailbox that pertain to math and put them in a file folder w/title and things needed. Not all of them are "hands-on" unfortunately, but some are. Also, some activities from my AIMs magazine are also used. And the reinforcement section in our old math basal has hands-on games. The only think I don't know how to do is scan my pages so that I have them on file.

How/where can I scan pages to have on my computer and can use on my projector or e-mail to others? :confused:

34. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jul 7, 2008

Well, except for copyright problems, Kinkos (or the like) would probably scan stuff onto a cd or "stick" drive for you. If you or a friend has a scanner, then you could sit there & scan page after page. Saving each page as an image (gif or jpeg) file would be fastest. If you were to try to scan it via OCR software (optical character recognition), you would still have to go through the entire document word by word to see if it recognized each character correctly, and any graphics on the pages would probably be messed up. If I had such a resource, I would definitely scan the pages in as images. You wouldn't be able to change anything, but at least you would still have the information.

35. GD2BQN

GD2BQN Comrade

Jul 7, 2008

Thanks! I think my husband has a scanner at work!!

36. Matt633

Matt633 Comrade

Jul 7, 2008

Ms Jas,
    I am in awe! I am in love:love: What can I do for you? Because you just made my life easier! Yes, please go with the Math Centers, as I will be teaching 2-5th grade math (Harcourt is the main curriculum). You are awesome! Have a wonderful week in GA! (I'm there on vacation too!!)
    Blessings being sent your way.

37. Go 4th

Go 4th Habitué

Jul 7, 2008

So, I sat down around 9 to check my email and just hang out a bit, and it is 2 1/2 hours later and I just got off your site! And that was just a bit of what I wanted to look at! Holy Moly that is simply amazing! I feel like I little kid who just found a whole batch of freshly made cookies! You totally rock! Beth Newingham better watch out! :) Seriously, thank you for all the hard work and sharing everything! As a first year teacher, you can bet I will be borrowing more than a few ideas!
    :2up::hugs::wow::love::clap:

38. SnoopyTeacher

SnoopyTeacher Companion

Jul 7, 2008

What an amazing site! Thank you for sharing all of your hard work!

39. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jul 11, 2008

(Turns paste white) Uhhhh... mmmmm.... thank you :) (Gulp)

In my opinion, I think Mrs. Newingham is incredible. I don't feel like I do as much as she does, with all the videos and simulations she has in her classroom. (There's a fifth grade teacher similar to her who does "virtual field trips" in her room, and our two classes are working together once or twice every month this year on Fridays! Tangent again...) Well, Mrs. Newingham and Mrs. Renz have been my favorite online teachers since the beginning, and then recently I discovered Mrs. Bunyi and Mrs. Sanchez. I desire to be an inspiration to others as well because the teaching world deserves people who are willing to help others. :)

I think I have decided that the only other site I am making this summer is the math one (because I rarely make anything about math), so I guess I'll start that one soon when the fact I've returned from GA wears off.

Well again, thank you.