The Great Gatsby

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by mimiarn, Sep 7, 2010.

1. mimiarn

mimiarn Rookie

Sep 7, 2010

Does anyone have a fun way to introduce the novel, The Great Gatsby? Its a new novel to me and I want a fun way to introduce the theme or setting of the book. Thanks!

3. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Sep 7, 2010

~show a clip of the movie
    ~have students brainstorm what they think it was like in the '20s
    ~have students come up with what they think is the 'American dream'

4. wcormode

wcormode Rookie

Sep 7, 2010

You could begin by talking to the students about the clicks that they have at school. How do they act around certain people? etc. Lead that into talking about different classes in the book.

You could also study the different historical events that would have been occurring during the book.

5. kfhsdramaqueen

kfhsdramaqueen Rookie

Sep 7, 2010

How about playing some jazz, giving them some beads, and throw a party, Have them mingle, gossip, etc.

6. Sshintaku

Sshintaku Comrade

Sep 7, 2010

When I did it a few years ago, we did some research on the 20's, and the kids really got into the whole prohibition thing and the social aspect. Throwing a 20's party would probably be fun.

On the more academic end, I had them analyze the art on the cover, since Fitzgerald had it specially commissioned for the book. So we did a pre-read analysis, talked about what the colors might represent, etc. Then after the book, we did a post-read analysis and they had a good time with it.

7. mimiarn

mimiarn Rookie

Sep 11, 2010

Thanks for all of the wonderful ideas!

8. dovian

dovian Comrade

Sep 12, 2010

9. Nadia Scores

Nadia Scores New Member

Sep 28, 2010

Oh, you’ll love reading 'The Great Gatsby'! – especially with the help of Shmoop. I found their approach to understanding this American classic, fun and educational. You also get some tidbits – like did you know that many think that Fitzgerald’s personal life is reflected in the novel? Like me, I’m sure you’ll get carried away by the author’s prose – such lovely language! You’ll find the characters and the situations that highlight their natures intriguing. I won’t reveal anything more – just enjoy the book!