The great desk/table migration

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Backroads, Sep 10, 2015.

1. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Sep 10, 2015

I've noticed that particularly in younger grades desk and tables seem to drift like little glaciers across the room. A co-worker recently shared the secret of industrial Velcro to stick to the bottom of table legs.

Any other preventions/solutions you've used?

3. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Sep 10, 2015

I have no advice but I really struggle with this too and I teach high school!

4. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Sep 10, 2015

It happens with my grade 7 and 8s as well--usually one mention of how flattered I am that they want to be so close gets them moving back!

5. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Sep 10, 2015

Oh, that's fun!

6. otterpop

otterpop Phenom

Sep 10, 2015

Mark the floor with duct tape, or give the students some kind of visual item to line up with. For example, every row needs to be in line with a bookshelf. Then have them check each day at the end of the day.

I don't have problems with them drifting forward, but my kids are in rows, and their rows get disorderly sometimes. But once the kids know the expectations, they're easily able to fix their desks with a reminder at the end of the day.

7. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Sep 10, 2015

:spitwater: I love this!
    My desks take trips across the floor. It usually starts with one child resting their knees against the side of the desk and that causes the rest to migrate, too.

8. TeachCafe

TeachCafe Comrade

Sep 12, 2015

I saw on Pinterest and then a blog how one teacher uses zip ties to hold the legs together as a group. I haven't done that yet but I plan on trying.

I just rearranged my room for the first time since school started and my desks too drift because they're the since desks with the open cubbie under them.I switched my desks from the large two person tables when my roster expanded so now I can change up the arrangement of a table pod anytime.

I wanted to yesterday but it was more important to rearrange my room because my whole group/read aloud area was way too small and I SWEAR my kids look more squished every day.

9. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Sep 12, 2015

I have used zip ties. It doesn't eliminate the problem, but it does help some.
    If you go to a home improvement store (Menards, Lowes, Home Depot, etc...) you can get a pack of a few hundred.
    The only downfall is that I like to do new seating charts and arrangements a lot. It is a lot of work to do that.

10. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Sep 12, 2015

I've used zip ties also. Use the heavy duty ones.

They still move a bit, but it is better. I put tape boxes around where the legs are supposed to be. That helps too.

Nothing totally keeps the migration from happening but the ties and the tape help keep it in check somewhat.