The good, the bad, and the ugly...

Discussion in 'General Education' started by kcjo13, Aug 4, 2009.

1. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Aug 4, 2009

I'm in my room this afternoon, not for the first time, but for the first time that I actually want to do something :lol:...

The Good

I kissed enough butt with our tech guy to score a new computer for me, a mimio, and 2 new student computers (in addition to the one good one I already had) with flat screen monitors. This makes my computer area much neater and more compact. I'm making him treats to bring tomorrow, because I am still looking for that projector mounted!

The Bad

Our new reading series, that we spent countless hours researching and visiting other schools, analyzing, and finally deciding on (from a list given to us by the rti team, not one we picked from some obscure publisher), has not been ordered. And no one bothered to tell us. Which means that none of us ordered stuff for the old series, not to mention the hours we put in this summer going over the new series and correlating with our language/spelling. Harumph.

The Ugly

Not too terrible, but there are huge black bugs all over my room (dead, thankfully). And, a whole pile of supplies to be put away (ok, so that's kinda good too!)

3. sundrop

sundrop Cohort

Aug 4, 2009

The Good

Way to go! Before long you just might have that projector. :)

The Bad

Bummer! Hope it all works out.

The Ugly

Bugs...Ugly, definitely ugly!

4. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Aug 4, 2009

Your good outweighs the ugly 10 to 1!!!

Can you put a rush on the books?

5. MathManTim

MathManTim Companion

Aug 4, 2009

As you can tell by my avatar, this sounds like my kind of thread! :thumb:

I saw my classroom for the first time last week.

The Good

I have my own classroom.
    It's on the ground floor.
    It's fairly spacious.
    It has wall-to-wall carpeting! :thumb:
    I have exactly enough desks. I just hope no one steals any out of my room between now and then.
    Windows face south, guaranteeing some kind of natural light all year round.

The Bad

Umm...I don't have either a computer or an overhead projector, like the other math teacher said I should. But there is a router on the wall with network cables for some reason. I have to assume I will get at least a computer at some point, particularly since the school uses the PowerSchool system.
    There is no pull-down screen. If I do end up with a projector, I will have to project onto either the whiteboard or a blank wall.
    I have a grand total of about 30 square feet of bulletin board space. (2 square bulletin boards at each end of the whiteboard)
    My principal says I won't be able to hang *anything* on the walls--something to do with lack of support and/or damage. I'm not even allowed to tape a poster or student work to the walls.

The Ugly

When I last saw it, a big chunk of my room was being used as storage space for boxes of textbooks that have yet to be opened.
    I might be able to get around the no-wall-hanging problem if I can find a way to suspend things from the frame that holds up the ceiling tiles.

G-Minus 12 days, 13 hours

MathManTim

6. JustJim

JustJim Companion

Aug 4, 2009

Tim-
    take a paper clip and unfold it (so it looks like an "s"). Slide one end like a fishhook over the metal framework that holds the ceiling tiles. Attach strings to the other end, and fasten the poster to the strings (or fasten the top of the poster to a stick of some kind, which is in turn fastened to the strings).

7. loves2teach

loves2teach Enthusiast

Aug 4, 2009

The good:
    I am almost done with my room

The bad:
    Made 25+phone calls, only got a hold of 8 parents, 3 bad numbers, and one of the numbers had a really offensive song that played while it rang.
    Still have a few things to put up
    Still need to make my behavior folders
    My class list keeps changing

The U-G-L-Y you ain't got no alibi:

I have not made a single copy for this year... nada, zip, zilch

8. Lynn K.

Lynn K. Habitué

Aug 4, 2009

The good:

I only have 27 students this year, not the 30 I was expecting.

The bad:

I have 27 students this year, not the 18 that I am used to.

The ugly truth:

I haven't even started thinking about what I need to buy, do, plan, prepare for the first days of school. (19 days till open house):eek:

9. Darkhorse

Darkhorse Companion

Aug 4, 2009

kcjo13 if your ugly only includes bugs then you are off to an awesome start!:lol:

It sounds like we are all heading to a great school year!:rolleyes: At least we do have a good list going for us!

The Good:
    -I finally got into my room after not being allowed to due to construction.
    -I have a door for the first time.
    -I have a kidney table for the first time and we ended up with extra semi-circle tables that I can use for centers.

The Bad:
    -I had to move all my stuff downstairs by myself.
    -They destroyed the aesthetic value and the natural light by putting in doors and random retainer walls.
    -My classroom still has a ton of random stuff (aka useless junk) from the previous teacher that I have to do something with.

The Ugly:
    -We only get two days and a Saturday to get our rooms ready before school starts and I already spent one of them moving my stuff down to my new room.
    -We were just told that we are not allowed to hang anything from the ceiling and we all use homemade bulletin boards that need to be suspended. So we can't use any of them this year and I have no clue what I will use as a bulletin board now.

10. Irma

Irma Companion

Aug 4, 2009

The Good:
    They removed the doorstop to my room so my door will always be closed and people will stop using it as a passageway.

The Bad:
    The wedgie they gave me doesn't keep the door open- it just squishes down and the door closes.

The Ugly:

No air flow from open doors because I have no outside window

11. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Aug 5, 2009

Hehe, this is fun! I'm trying to stay positive, hence the 'good' section. But let's be real, there's always some bad-and unfortunately ugly-in education!

I think I'll make the tech guy this popcorn/marshmallow concoction my friend showed me!

Tim-you NEED to get the ceiling hangers from Calloway House. They are amazing. Everyone is sooo jealous of my stick hanger thingy.