The Gifted Program in Early Childhood

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by EBKLYN, Feb 2, 2007.

1. EBKLYN

EBKLYN Companion

Feb 2, 2007

I am in a school that has a gifted class for every grade including Kindergarten.

I think that there should not be a gifted class until the second or third grade. I feel that way because most kindergarteners are not socially and developmentally ready yet to understand and deal with that level of stress or the pressure that is placed on them by their parents and teachers.

I would love to hear what is this forum's opinion or experiences on this.

3. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Feb 2, 2007

Depends on what the gifted class for kindergarten looks like, I think - gifted classes don't have to be high stress/high pressure (and it irritates me when that seems to be the goal).

You raised a parallel issue elsewhere: what to do about literacy in kindergarten. Fact is, there ARE kids who are proficient readers and even beginning writers by the time they hit kindergarten, and this is by no means a new development, nor is it solely the result of parents who push-push-push their kids (though, yes, there is some of that). Have we the right to tell the kindergartner who's reading Tamora Pierce at home or grasping the concept of multiplication that she needs to be satisfied with decodable text and 1 + 1 at school because that's what kindergartners are supposed to be doing? The message that sends to this kindergartner is that she Is A Problem - what kid needs THAT kind of pressure?

4. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Feb 2, 2007

I totally agree with TG! Gifted classes should provide a challenge for those children who are obviously ready for it. It should not be something equated with lots of pressure on the child to succeed. I think if regular classes were able to be taught the way these gifted classes are taught... there would be many happy kids and teachers.

5. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Feb 2, 2007

Thanks, Frizz. Can I be in your class?

6. EBKLYN

EBKLYN Companion

Feb 2, 2007

I would like to know does anyone have a gifted program in their school and how young does it go?

The other problem that I have noticed with this gifted program in a lot of schools is that it is becoming more about the status of the school than it is about the students. It seems that the level or the criterias at which a student is considered to be gifted is being lowered every year.

7. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Feb 2, 2007

EB......isn't IQ the standard in which they go by?

8. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Feb 2, 2007

If I had one..... sure.....;)

9. EBKLYN

EBKLYN Companion

Feb 2, 2007

Yes, I believe so but the teacher also has input as to whether or not the child is gifted material.

10. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Feb 2, 2007

In our district, I don't believe a child would qualify if the IQ didn't meet the required level. I may be wrong, but I am pretty sure that IQ is the overall determining factor.

11. EBKLYN

EBKLYN Companion

Feb 2, 2007

Kinderkids,

Do you know by any chance what is the required level?

I was just thinking that maybe my state's level maybe different from yours.

As of this weekend I have to fill out scan sheets on two expected gifted candidates. The scan sheets has to do with my observations of these children academically and socially.

12. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Feb 2, 2007

If there is "a" required level across the country, I'd be very surprised.

Recommendation for gifted programs is generally based on a combination of test scores (which are, I devoutly hope, less biased toward verbal ability than they used to be - one hears of tests with no words at all) and observation. In many places the program is called "gifted and talented", to allow for the kid who happens not to test quite well enough but who everyone agrees has got to be One Of Them - though of course this opens a door to abuse.

13. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Feb 2, 2007

I believe it is 128 (although 130 sticks in my mind as well). I will have to check and let you know.

14. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Feb 2, 2007

EB, I stand corrected......it is 130.

15. EBKLYN

EBKLYN Companion

Feb 2, 2007

Hi TeacherGroupie,

I think there is where the problem lies as far as what constitutes a gifted child. There are no level ground. It is as if it is all left up to interpretation. I say this because right now I am expected to read and use my observation to determine whether this child is gifted quality.

I am not a gifted teacher. I do not really know what to look for in my assessment. I am not given any training other than some papers that look like cliffnotes about what the tdifferent terms are.

16. EBKLYN

EBKLYN Companion

Feb 2, 2007

Thanks:love: Is it across the board for all states? Where do you think I would find out about more information about being gifted?

17. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Feb 2, 2007

I am really not the one who would know! TG is the "expert" on here as far as that goes. I'm sure she can help you out tremendously! :)

18. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Feb 2, 2007

Check out

insideschools.org and look under gifted. May help

19. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Feb 2, 2007

I just put in NY gifted students criteria and a lot came up

20. EBKLYN

EBKLYN Companion

Feb 2, 2007

MissFrizzle you're a sweetheart. Thank you:love: Iwill look into it using the information you gave me.

By the way I never heard of Brentwood, LI. Now I am hearing about it all this week in the news.

21. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Feb 2, 2007

That's a problem, all right.

Try these:

http://www.stephanietolan.com/is_it_a_cheetah.htm
    http://www.stephanietolan.com/nonfiction.htm
    Tolan's a passionate advocate for gifted kids. The first site is an article, the second a compendium of resources.

http://www.nagc.org/index.aspx?id=1045. On identifying giftedness.

http://www.ri.net/gifted_talented/character.html. The opening statement is powerful. What's scary is how many gifted kids get this trained out of them.

That's a start, but there's lots more on the Web.

22. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Feb 2, 2007

Not so much an expert as someone who's been there and bears the scars.

23. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Feb 2, 2007

Well, I should think that qualifies you as an expert!

24. EBKLYN

EBKLYN Companion

Feb 2, 2007

Guess what I was even asked to look into becoming a certified gifted teacher. I thought to myself what benefits would that be to me. I feel comfortable right where I am.

25. EBKLYN

EBKLYN Companion

Feb 2, 2007

TeacherGroupie,

What are the benefits as far as being a gifted teacher? Are there any?

26. EBKLYN

EBKLYN Companion

Feb 2, 2007

Thaaaaaaaaannnnnnks soooo much.:D

27. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Feb 2, 2007

Read the beginning of the last link I posted. Imagine how hard it could be to live inside your own skin, if you felt like that. Then imagine helping a kid like that learn to function happily in the world. How's that for benefit?

The gifted kid doesn't necessarily need a teacher who's gifted. The gifted kid needs a teacher who likes gifted kids, who isn't afraid of teaching kids who may have more raw intellectual firepower than she - because she knows they need to be liked and they need her for the sort of wisdom that comes from simply having been in the world for a while. And the gifted kid needs someone who understands that being gifted is sometimes incredibly painful - not just from being That Different, but also because the gifted kid is the kid you can't shelter from Bad News, the kid who (to borrow an illustration from a friend of mine) at four years old has the cognitive capacity to realize that her parents will someday die (and to have a very good idea what that means) but hasn't yet grown into the emotional ability to be able to cope with it.

If you like creativity, invention, new things popping up all the time, tremendous energy generated by ideas - if you like the idea of being able to have a relatively grown-up conversation (well, depending on the topic) with someone who happens to inhabit the body of a second grader and will then do something goofy that reminds you of that, gifted kids can be tremendous fun to work with.

Oh, and it helps to be able to be goofy yourself.

28. EBKLYN

EBKLYN Companion

Feb 2, 2007

TeacherGroupie,

I went on the website--Is It a Cheetah. I am beginning to understand the characteristics of a gifted child that you posted previously.

29. EBKLYN

EBKLYN Companion

Feb 2, 2007

Don't you think it is too soon to label a young child such as a kindergartener as gifted?

I have a student presently who was tested upon entering kindergarten as a gifted student and was placed in that class. Only to be removed and placed in my class because she wasn't emotionally ready.

I have another situation whereby I truly believe that a student who is presently in my class belongs in a gifted class when I recommended that he be placed there I was told that he can't be because of his language.

30. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Feb 2, 2007

I'm going to step into gifted-kid mode for a moment: prepare for run-on sentences...

There are times when being gifted is really fun - you get to figure out something really cool, and if you're really lucky, when you share it people get that you're sharing it because it's really cool and yeah, you had something to do with it, but it's just really cool and you can't not share.

It's icky when you share and it gets you in trouble - sometimes people get mad 'cause they think you're just showing them up and it isn't what you meant. It's also icky when the teacher starts giving you more of the same kind of work that everybody else gets, and it wasn't fun to begin with. Some gifted kids decide that it's not worth it to be gifted any more, and they start acting out or tuning out - some of them kind of go into a shell, and they're in there with their giftedness but it's not safe to come out.

It's not fun getting in trouble for something you just are, you know?

End of kid mode.

The truly gifted child is the prototypical square peg in the round hole - except that, as they'll explain, one's a square prism, and another's an octagonal prism, and another's a dodecahedron, and another's a helix that fits to a certain point but no farther, and so on - there's incredible variety.

31. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Feb 2, 2007

As to the first, I think it depends. Could be that the determination for giftedness in kindergarten needs to be made differently. Emotional readiness certainly needs to be considered, though sometimes the gifted child acts out BECAUSE his or her needs aren't being met one way or another.

What was the issue with the second child? What do you mean by "because of his language"?

32. EBKLYN

EBKLYN Companion

Feb 2, 2007

TeacherGroupie,

After reading your last post I guess I should consider it. I am not creative but I love new ideas, I am energized to learn. But I don't think that I am exceptionally smart for them (do you think that would be a problem?).

Should I look into teaching gifted kids in your opinion?

Thank you for also giving me your ear.

33. EBKLYN

EBKLYN Companion

Feb 2, 2007

He just came to this country a year ago and he has problems explaining and talking what it is he wants to say.

34. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Feb 2, 2007

EBKLYN

I don't necessarily think being smart enough is the case. of course you are smart enough! Smart is being able to know where to find the answers, not necessarily knowing them..... can you dig deeper than the surface??? Expand on topics?? Certainly, you must know the material you are teaching, but I think there is freedom to explore a lot and that is where creativity will kick in.

35. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Feb 2, 2007

By writing................. but what else is he good at???

36. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Feb 2, 2007

A personal question: Did you, when you were a kid in school, feel like you just really didn't quite fit?

37. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Feb 2, 2007

Whom are you asking?

38. EBKLYN

EBKLYN Companion

Feb 2, 2007

Wow! Then I guess from your example that a teacher doesn't have to be a teacher that is exceptionally smart as the student, but rather a nurturer of their ingenuity and skill. I am right?

39. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Feb 2, 2007

Oh, grump: it strikes me that a kid who impresses you as gifted IN SPITE OF the language problem belongs in the gifted class, and that he's likelier to make progress in English there than in the regular classroom. Heaven knows it'll do more for his academic English. Of course, there could be other confounding issues, and if his progress in English is worse than one would expect given where he started, then a regular-classroom placement might be less inappropriate.

40. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Feb 2, 2007

That 's always been my opinion..... too often kids who are smart and creative and have a ton of potential just lose their spark .... hmmmm standardized testing perhaps:rolleyes:

41. EBKLYN

EBKLYN Companion

Feb 2, 2007

He is exceptionally good at drawing with details. He is very orderly and neat. He grasp concepts very quick compared to the other students in my class. The district sent out a gifted application form for all students but his mom had difficulty filling out and when she did get through it was late. I told her don't worry there is always next year. He will be developing on his language skills in the mean time.