The Game of life for lower elementary

Discussion in 'General Education' started by nasirahc83, Dec 29, 2010.

1. nasirahc83

nasirahc83 Companion

Dec 29, 2010

Hello everyone,

I need advice or tips or ideas. My next social studies unit is Economics/supply demand/jobs and all that great stuff. Well I really want the students to understand the concept of income and taxes but I am not really sure how to plan it out. So if anyone else has done it before please share.

I am thinking of having the students randomnly select job titles from a paper bag and then the students will receive "salary". Afterward they will have to a chance to buy items and also pay taxes to "Me" the government...:| Then I am stuck.

3. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Dec 29, 2010

You could incorporate their actual classroom jobs into this. Have them pay rent on their desk. Then tax them for the area that their desk sits on.

They may have to pay for pencils, paper, etc...things that are used every day in the classroom.

4. GoldenPoppy

GoldenPoppy Habitué

Dec 29, 2010

Look at a program called Playdough Economics. It's easy to do and full of great ideas.

5. John Lee

John Lee Groupie

Dec 29, 2010

Will you (as the gov't) also debase the currency? You can also incorporate Mirriam-Webster's Word of the Year, austerity. ;)

Seriously though, I've thought a lot about this topic (classroom economy). I think it depends upon how involved you want to make it. Because I can imagine really involved, elaborate economic systems in which students can realize REAL economic concepts and conditions.

I think it's a GREAT concept to bring into a classroom. When you think about it, money topics drive our adult lives--why do we have virtually no economic curriculum to speak of? GL.

6. hzminda

hzminda Rookie

Dec 29, 2010

Maybe you could play Monopoly?

M.H.

7. blazer

blazer Connoisseur

Dec 29, 2010

8. oldfashioned

oldfashioned Comrade

Dec 29, 2010

Beth Newingham has a great description on how to implement a classroom economy on her website.

9. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Virtuoso

Dec 29, 2010

Our school hosts a "Reality Store" and elementary students come tour it. They draw a career and a family. They they have to purchase all of the things that they need to live. They can choose homes, vehicles, healthcare, groceries, clothing, etc. They have different options. Local businesses have volunteers who come to school to talk with the kids. Their goal is to have money left over after they make the purchases for the year.

10. nasirahc83

nasirahc83 Companion

Dec 29, 2010

Thanks for ideas. I really like the classroom jobs as real jobs. Especially since all my students have a job in the classroom.